Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Banders in Portland?

Hey everybody!,

My name is Mike and I live in Portland, OR. I get banded on Aug. 26th at OHSU with Dr. O'rourke. I am really nervous. I am really excited also. Just need some extra support to get me through the nerves.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm Kegra in Portland and I'm getting banded Aug 29th by Dr Patterson at Oregon Weight Loss Surgury. Two weeks to go! I'm so excited! I've already begun the work and I've lost 17# and I am so grateful that won't have to lose them *ever* again.

Hey Mike,

Guess I missed you before your surgery. I am sure it went well. I wish the best for you. I am getting banded at OHSU on Oct 9th by Dr Wolfe. Please post and let us Oregonians know how you did.

Hey Mike, CONGATS! I am in the Portland area, a little past Sandy, towards the mountain. I am getting banded on 9/24 in Vancouver by Dr. Cagle. Tell me, did you have to do the milk diet? I have to be on the milk diet for 3 weeks.. just wondering how i went for you, the diet, the surgery, everything.

Hi Mike,

You got banded the day before I did at Good Sam. How did your surgery go? How are you doing?

C

Hello all. I'm in Lake Oswego here. Getting banded on the second of January at OHSU with Dr. Wolfe. Everyone doing well? Happy with the procedure? Happy with OHSU?

Let me know!

Hi! I had my band done Oct 9th with Dr. Wolfe. He is great, very thorough, and takes a lot of time explaining everything with you. You will never feel rushed with him at an appointment. The procedure went well just be sure to ask for anything you need at the hospital. The nurses seemed run ragged but were very accomodating. You will be down at home for probably at least 5 days before you feel like going out or back to work. My only complaint is getting fill appointments at the Center for Health and Healing, as I have to have mine done as a floroscopy cause my port is hard to locate and the person that makes the appointments is super hard to get ahold of. Good luck and you will be happy with OHSU and Dr. Wolfe. Izzyd:thumbup:

Thanks for the info, Izzy. May I ask how your weight loss is going thus far? Are you satisfied with everything? Would you have done anything different?

Hi again JC1,

My weight loss has been steady. I have lost 30lbs since surgery and have about 60 plus to go. I feel that I need another fill so hopefully sometime next week. The only think I would have done differently is to have it done sooner. You will still have to watch what you eat, it isn't a miracle cure by any means. I know someone that has had the surgery and has figured out how to consume so many calories that she is failing herself. My friend at work had the surgery 16 days before me at Good Sam and is doing about the same as I am. Prepare to exercise as well. Best of luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Izzyd

Thanks for saying that, Izzy! I read messages from those poor souls that had this procedure done in hopes that they could keep on deluding themselves by eating the same as they did before and still lose weight. People who are eating blizzards and french fries and complain because they don't feel full after eating entire orders of fast food and blame the band and claim that it's not working for them. I want to bang my head against the wall and say "DUH! You spent all that time and MONEY getting this procedure done and THIS is what you do? You have the privilege to have insurance cover this and you cheat it away by wronging yourself?" I just can't imagine what some people think is going to happen. Furthermore, there are people out there who would do fabulous with this procedure and are DYING to have it done, but they can't afford it, or their insurance won't cover it, and I hear about these people who just don't put forth the effort and then blame the surgery, or doctor or band for their shortcomings.

I'm starting Medifast on Saturday up to the surgery to get my metabolism jump started and take off as much as I can before surgery. I'm no stranger to exercise and hard work! I love working out, so that won't be an issue for me. Working through my eating disorder is my biggest challenge, but am working on counseling and really focusing on only having the food that I need in the house at all times. Took a large amount of weight off in college and kept it off for quite a long time, so I know what I need to do. Just fell down for a few years and lost track of what was important.

I'll keep you posted as I move forward. Do you ever go to the support group that is offered at OHSU once a month? Was wondering what that was like and if it was worth hitting up.

JC1,

I have not attended the support group although fully intended on going. I would think it would be a great resource for information and expectencies. I believe the next one is dec 16th but will wait until the January date. Let me know how you do on the medifast. Did Dr Wolfe perscribe that for you presurgery? Izzyd

Hi Izzy. Dr. Wolfe did not prescribe the Medifast, although, I did speak with Shannon about it and she said it's a great program to follow. Today went pretty well. I stuck to the program to the letter and so far, it doesn't seem to be very difficult at all. Just trying to get as much weight off as possible before the surgery. I'm also considering sticking to it after the surgery when I'm all healed up. The foods are pretty benign, and mostly consist of Soups, puddings, shakes, etc. Pretty soft stuff, and low in sodium and fats. I can't see much harm in it. Shannon said that it should be okay to follow the program post-surgery as long as I get in about 70 grams of Protein each day.

We'll see how much weight comes off before the second. I plan on going to one of the support groups. Not sure if I'll make the December 16th one, but the January one I'll try to make for sure. Perhaps I'll see you there!

Hi JC1,

I did get some Protein Drinks at costco that weren't bad; 30 grams per serving. We found that smoothies, cottage cheese and anything that could slide down was good. It is amazing how tired of "eating" one thing you will get. I still eat a lot of Soup mostly because it is easy and seems that everytime I eat meat it gets stuck. It is hard to remember to chew enough especially if you wait too long and are starved!

Glad all went well with the medifast and I wish you success through the holidays. Keep me updated on your progress. OH Yeah! I am joining a gym tomorrow so hopefully that will help quicken my progress. Take care

Hello all! Just wanted to report to you all that I was banded yesterday! So far, so good. A bit sore today. Discovering my new eating limits. Had a strange bout of hiccoughs that became quite painful and annoying. Doctors attributed it to eating a Protein shake too soon and had me switch back to clear liquid. That coupled with the CO2 needing to work it's way out, were the probable culprits.

Bbeal4Me - just go with the flow with OHSU. Be sure to ask plenty of questions, and ask for everything in writing. That goes for your inurance as well. I had an exceptional experience at OHSU for the surgery, but was very firm with my expectations of them, and really had to advocate for myself. OHSU was by far my best choice. I believe you will feel the same.

Getting the pain meds dialed in this first few days. Challenging. But worth it!

Feel free to ask quesitons if you have them! I'm fresh off the table! :tt2: