Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Progress Pics

Don't have mine yet, I still have a week to go. But I was hoping to encourage those of you who have reached your 6 month mark to post some. :biggrin2:

Shiny, you look fabulous!! Can't believe you have any left to lose. You're looking great!

It's not quite 6 months yet.. it's been like 5 months and 2 weeks. Down 53 lbs. I posted this in the main general before/after photos too, but I'll post on here as well..

post-226758-13813137455852_thumb.jpg

Shiny & Crystal, you both look fabulous!!

Tomorrow is 6 months for me and I will post some then. I am hoping to lose 1/2 pound by then and make it to 90 pounds lost.

Crystal, you look fantastic too. Really, really can see the difference. Can't wait to see even more of you guys.

Is it possible to be happy for you guys and yet angry at the same time?

Yesterday was my 6-month anniversary, which I celebrated by eating - a boatload - almost but not quite as much as I did pre-op. That's not my standard anymore by any means; I'm at a point where I only eat when I feel weak, or when I realize I haven't eaten in X number of hours and force myself to.

Compared to my pre-op life I exercise my *** off. I spend at least an hour a day on a stationary bike, averaging at least 25 miles on it nowadays; I play softball two nights a week and on weekends (though granted, not well due to my weight), and I walk around a mile daily in my business activities and home life.

I've had fills - six in six months, ranging from .5cc to 1.25cc, with each having the same effect: a week's worth of being virtually incapable of eating anything, a two week period of being capable of eating anything but generally not wanting to, and the remainder fully capable of clearing out my pantry if not for sheer will - and doing so on rare occasion (like yesterday) when that will fails me.

The net result? So far, all of 31 pounds. Great by some standards, but nowhere near the achievements some of you have reached. I've barely - and I mean barely - gone from a 5X shirt to a 4X, from a 3X sweatpant to a 2X, and from a 52 waist to a 50. My doc keeps telling me I'm making progress, but to be honest every time I come here I get a real dose of mixed emotions - real happiness for those of you who have had success with the LapBand, but real resignation and downright depression about my own situation.

Anyway, I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade - I'm genuinely happy for those of you who've lost 50, 60, 80, even 90+ pounds via the LapBand. I just wish I were among you!

Mac,

You sound so discouraged. I'm sorry for the struggles you are going through. A few questions and thoughts:

Have you had your port and tubing checked? It almost sounds to me like you could have a slow leak. Is your surgeon checking the amount of Fluid each time he/she fills you? If not, I would have him withdraw all that is in there so you can see if it is staying or somehow leaking out.

Over the last six months have you mostly eaten healthful foods? Are you limiting refined carbs and junk food? Exercising by itself isn't going to make up for poor food choices. I have come to realize that it really makes a big difference in what success we have.

I'm not perfect, and I do allow myself a treat from time to time, but in small amounts. I was realizing the other day that although I've had a small bit of chocolate or part of a candy bar sometimes, I have not eaten a full-sized candy bar since being banded. I had a couple bites of my kids' blizzards, but haven't had one myself.

I'm sorry that our successes are bringing you some measure of pain. In fact, I was hesitant for a while to post about my successes because of the frustrated and ranting posts from those who weren't having the same success. But I decided that's not fair. It's not fair to people reading the board. They need to see the good with the bad to be able to make up their minds about the reality of the band. It's not fair to me because I need to be able to share my success with others because the encouragement really keeps me going.

I hope you can get to a place where you can both eat and lose weight. Good job on making exercise a regular part of your life. That's been a struggle of mine that I've only recently made good progress on.

Melissa

I agree with everything Melissa said. My diet is about 95% healthy, low cal, etc. and about 5% (if that) not so good. Every once in a while, I'll have a bite of something not so great, like mac n cheese or french fries. I've even indulged in a candy bar a couple of times and one night a couple of weeks ago, I had a whole small blizzard from DQ. When I think back over the last five and a half months, the "bad" things I've had are so rare compared to say, the five and a half months prior to surgery. I think not letting myself feel deprived of anything has helped so much. I don't completely pig out when I do have those things.

I would talk to your doctor about the extremes of restriction you seem to go through. That doesn't sound normal. Have you had fills under fluoro? If not, maybe your doctor can do one that way and check on band position, size of your pouch, etc.

Either way, you are down over 30 lbs. Where would you have been after 6 months without the band? I know that I probably would've been even higher than I was.

Well, I'm not discouraged nearly as much as I am disappointed. It's not as if I haven't lost any weight, and even to lose what I have thus far I'd be willing to undergo it all again, so while my picture isn't particularly rosy, it's not all doom and gloom. :tongue_smilie:

To answer your questions Melissa, no, the port and tubing haven't been checked - but that's something I'm definitely going to inquire about at my next doctor's visit (next week). Over the last six months I've, save the occasional slip, subsisted primarily on veggies - salads, stir fry-type stuff, etc. Usually during the first two weeks or so post-fill, I could quite easily subsist on SlimFast shakes; I tend to eat only when my stomach's rumbling and/or I feel weakened. food choices - particularly compared to what I ate pre-op - are actually the least of my worries.

And to say anyone else's success causes me pain is probably overstating it quite a bit - I'm really, really happy for anyone who's had success. I guess more than anything I'm just wondering why (and lamenting that) it hasn't come my way.

To answer your questions Melissa, no, the port and tubing haven't been checked - but that's something I'm definitely going to inquire about at my next doctor's visit (next week). Over the last six months I've, save the occasional slip, subsisted primarily on veggies - salads, stir fry-type stuff, etc. Usually during the first two weeks or so post-fill, I could quite easily subsist on SlimFast shakes; I tend to eat only when my stomach's rumbling and/or I feel weakened. food choices - particularly compared to what I ate pre-op - are actually the least of my worries.

What about Protein? How many calories do you get in per day for the most part? Even if you "pig out" on veggies, you still aren't getting many calories. If you don't eat enough, that can also slow or stall weight loss. I think those who have had the highest losses would all agree that we eat small sensible meals and get in a decent amount of calories for the most part.

Mac you sound just like me yesterday!! I've been away for awhile and I flipped out fortunately I came back to LBT and I got what I needed support and encouragement. I had a fill this morning and hopefully the restriction I have right now will last more than 2 days!!! Just like every pregnancy, every band is different. Eventhough we are as far out as everyone else here, we all react to the bad differently. I am learning that I need a lot in my band to feel anything, while others need hardly anything. Its all in finding what your particular needs are. Trust me I'm right there with you as far as frustration. Chin UP!!!

Hi everyone,

Gosh, I can't believe we are talking about our 6 month banderversaries!! Mac & Val...I'm sorry for your disappointment and frustrations. Hopefully, some input from your fellow Double V's will help. I think we have all experienced frustration at some point in this journey...I know I have!! I hope you can focus on the positives that the band has brought you and I know you are both on the path to success.

I'm going to post some pictures this weekend. I feel like I've settled into "band life" and I've had to take some time to reflect on what this last six months has brought me. First and foremost...it's brought me HEALTH!:rolleyes: As I posted in another thread, for the first time in YEARS my blood test results were totally normal. The band has also brought me peace. I feel like I have been let out of the crippling prison of obesity. To have control and balance of what I eat is a downright miracle! I have also experienced an overwhelming sense of empowerment. It takes a tremendous amount of courage and strength to do what we have done!! It doesn't matter what the scale says..we all made a choice to better ourselves and our lives..that's POWERFUL!! Yes...the fact that I've lost 55 pounds and am wearing size regular 14 is great.....but that sense of empowerment, freedom, balance and health is WAAAY more gratifying. Please don't judge your success soley by the scale...we have all acccomplished so much more. Keep it up, Double V's!!

Love,

Amy

Thanks for the compliments.. I still have a long journey ahead of me. lol..

Mac, I'm sorry you are frustatrated, but you have still been averaging 5 lbs a month and that is really good.. That's all my doctor wishes for his patients.. 5-10 lbs a month.. Before the band I was gaining 5 lbs a month.. So, just imagine if it was flipped... You ARE doing good.. I know it is hard seeing what others have lost, but honestly I think there are more folks that have lost between 25 - 40 lbs on here than folks who've lost 50-75.. honestly.. What you have lost is pretty normal for the Febsters... There are just a lot of folks who rarely post or show what they've truly lost.

I think everybody is doing really good.. even those who feel down about what they've lost, or don't feel like they are doing that well, to me, they really are, if they'd only see the bigger picture and that is to not look at others results and just look at their results, it is good! :)

Coming on this forum is what keeps me going.. keeps me motivated.

Well tomorrow is 6 months for me and I had the hubby take some pictures today. Sorry I didn't get a side view pre-op.

Jodie2-17-08cropped.jpgJodie8-17-2008.jpgJodie8-17-2008side.jpg

I can't really tell much difference between my 4 month and my 6 month pictures but I really can between this one on the day before my surgery and now. And as always, I have the lovely "too much sun" squint. Wish this was over but I'm sure it's gonna be at least another year for me. But I'm in it for as long as I have to be. It's become a way of life for me and I don't intend to slip back into bad habits. Good thing I have a friendly reminder surgically implanted in my gut. :thumbup: