Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS CIGNA HMO??? THEY COVER THE PROCEDURE, BUT THE REQUIREMENT ARE TERRIBLY STRICT. I'M 5'5 250 POUNDS AND MORE THAN READY TO BEGIN A HEALTHY LIFESYTLE. THIS 6 MTH DIET PROGRAM IS WHAT HAS ME MOST CONCERNED !!!! GEEZ---I'VE BEEN DIETING ALL MY LIFE- WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THIS? IS THE 6MTH THING REALLY THAT IMPORTANT WITH CIGNA HMO..OR ARE THEY JUST TRYING TO Detour ME FROM CONSIDERING THE PROCEDURE THAT MY PRIMARY DOCTOR SAYS IS NECESSARY?????

:)

I too had to do the six month medically supervised diet and provide weight history for the past three years. And I have pretty much been overweight all my life. But I think it is something most insurances do. Just be glad you don't have medicaid...they have to do an 18 mo. medically supervised diet. Trust me, before you know it the six months will have passed and then everything starts moving PRETTY fast.

I wish you the best!

I forgot to say that I have Aetna HMO. So it is pretty much normal procedure I believe for all insurance companies.

I have Aetna and they require a 3 month diet but my Surgeon in CT requires a 6month supervised diet counseling the whole 10 yards. It's been three month's and I started the gym 3 weeks ago and the diet..it's soooo hard but I have picked up some great tools on eating & changing my lifestyle that has always been surrounded by food. I'm half way through and extreamly anxious.:)

You may already have the requirement done. Have you ever done weight watchers, LA weight Loss etc. All you have to do if you have done one of those programs or something similiar that is created and supervised by a Dr. is give Cigna your 6 month history as long as it was in the last 2 years.

I have Cigna and all I did was go to the place I did a program at last year called Extreme weight loss and had them give me my old history. It contained the 6 month period I attended with details of the diet, my weight at each weigh in, what type of excercise I was doing, and a signature by the program Director.

And Cigna took it I was banded last week!:)

I too have Cigna HMO. I went to my doctor for 6 months and weighed in with him. I didn't lose anything, actually gained 5 pounds. I was approved by Cigna and am being banded next week. The 6 months goes by very quick. I can't believe my band will be done next week. My doc thinks the insurance company does this just to see if you are committed to this or not!

Hi Shelly, I have cigna. I was about the same as you when I found out I had to have the 6 month diet thing. I started seeing a 'behavior management' doctor so that I could start preparing myself for surgery and before I knew it, my 6 months was up. I have been working at getting approved and getting a surgery date since LAST June. I got all my requirements in, my surgeon scheduled a date for Aug. 27th, and then Cigna said I was missing a note of intent from my PCP saying that he thought I should have surgery. They also didn't have the 6 month history, but my PCP just hadn't faxed it. Also, the surgeon I went to decided to do a gallbladder scan and then I needed my gallbladder out (gall stones). It's been a nightmare. My PCP finally faxed the letter of intent and Cigna is re-evaluating my case and I am still scheduled for surgery the 27th, but Cigna hasn't said I am definately approved yet. It's been one heck of a ride. I am supposed to call Cigna back tomorrow and then if they don't have the approval yet, I am supposed to call next week. If it all pans out, it's only 20 days until surgery. My knees just became weak.

I wish you the very best. I know how disappointed you must be that you can't get your approval sooner. Everyone says the 6 months goes fast and yet, nothing we say will make you feel better. I totally sympathize.

Take care,

Kathy S.