Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I was scheduled to have GB on 8/4. On 7/31 I rescheduled and changed to the band. Has anyone else been through this? I just had that "don't get on the plane" feeling. If anyone has changed their mind last minute can you tell me if you think you made the right choice? :cursing:

HI :cursing:

I was to have mine done in janurary (read my blog). I got cold feet. Right before i was to start the liquid diet i quit. I am going to see the doctor for a "mini-consultation." and if all goes well, we'll schedule for 9/08. i think it was a great decision, and i feel much more confident..and at ease.

Take care

It was my internist/cardiologist who suggested the lapband to me. I was all ready to proceed with the lapband after a few months of contemplation and research and after visiting with the bariatric surgeon that he suggested.

On a subsequent visit to my internist/cardiologist, he changed his mind. He said he thought I would lose more weight with the bypass. When he told me this, I was a bit irritated because I was already approved by Anthem Blue Cross for the lapband. He said I could change my request through my surgeon.

I then sat down and wrote down a list of the pros and cons of both procedures and decided the lapband was the best choice for me. I was banded on May 20, 2008, and I believe I made the right choice for me. I am losing weight slowly and have very little side effects as those in my support group who have had bypass surgery. I have had no loss of hair, gas, diarrea, vomiting, etc. I am quite delighted. I have gone from a size 22 to size 18. I feel and look MUCH BETTER.

I also believe my recovery was quicker with the lapband than the bypass. I only stayed 24 hours in the hospital and the bypass patients stayed 2 or 3 nights. I also returned to work more quickly.

As of right now, I think I made the correct choice in chosing lapband o:smile2:ver bypass. I hope you do too!

My niece and I went through the 6 month program together. From the beginning I was unsure which procedure to go with. She had gastric bypass on 7/16 and to date has lost 34 pounds. My husband was just a nervous wreck thinking I was going to die from the procedure. He found every horror story you could imagine. People loosing their teeth to breaking bones just from walking. I feel he did encourage me to change my mind which my niece is just furious about. But I feel in my heart it will be better. Thanks for the post.

Everyone goes threw should I do GB or LB when starting the research process. Both of my brothers had bypass done and where over 200 pounds overweight. I had 80 pounds to loose and thought to myself that if I get any complications I can have it removed. One of my brother went threw a period of very bad dumping syndrome and ended up in the hospital from passing out at work because he was so fatigued. That is one of the reasons I picked the band because it was less perminent and quicker recovery. I went the day after T-Day and was back to work the next week. No one even knew I had it done. I am loosing the weight slower then I originally expected but I am also not gaining and it is for the LONG TERM to keep it down and keep it off. I can get an adjustment if I feel I am eating too much and if you stretch your pouch after bypass your back to gaining the weight again. My Dr. says he does lots of bands for bypass patients that have gained the weight back. It is a very personal decision for what you feel is best for your body. I am so happy that I got the band and it has really helped me be healthier and learn how to live on very small portions. It is amazing how much our portion size is so over what we should really be eating and a total science for what your body needs not what your tastebuds want. Good luck

I agree with you. I think the lapband is the better choice. It is slower but it took time to put this weight on so it takes time to take it off and keep it off.

That dumping syndrome is a blessing and a curse. I'm glad I don't have it. Its all a mind set on what you can eat and not eat. Chocelete goes down the band really well but its not good for you in large doses (as we all know). I think we made the best choice for us!

The mortality rate with bypass is quite high compared with lapband.

Good luck to you. Keep posting your experience. It really helps me.

Thanks for all the post. I feel much better now. I will keep posting I think this is a great way to support each other. It's just really sad I had to have my husband show me how to navigate and post. ha ha

:biggrin2:

I went through this also. I was convinced that the bypass was what I wanted because of the number of my friends who have had it done and had good results. Then I went to the seminar in January and decided that I might have slower results, but it would be less invasive and better nutritionally in the long run. I believe it is the right choice and my husband is supportive of my having the band, he wasn't regarding RNY bypass.

I too struggled very hard with the decision between the two surgery's. My son had the GB 3 years ago and is now 175 pounds. He has kept it off with mountain biking. My husband had the GB two months ago and has lost 44 pounds. These guys lost weight so fast that it made that surgery attractive. The two main reasons I chose the band was I was concerned 5 years down the road I would not be able to keep weight off with the GB. With the band I can say give me more restriction. Once you stretch the pouch on the GB your pretty much out of luck unless your well deciplined. Clearly I am not. The second reason was the nutritionally deficiency. I am small boned even thought I am 100 pounds overweight and osteoporosis is a big concern in my family. I felt that I would have a lot of issues with this down the road if I picked the GB. So that is how I came to my decision. Hope it helps

Thank you all for these posts!

I know now that I've made the right choice w/the banding. I am scheduled the end of Sept. and CAN'T wait! In the back of my mind, I kept thinking maybe I should just have a bypass.

However, I've known people who've gained all their weight back after the GB. It just made me sick. I also knew one person who ate all the time and then passed gas in front of everyone and anyone - at work and public...everywhere! It was rank too eek.gif - she essentially has a reputation for it and has become a horrible poster child for the procedure. No, I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately...

I've also heard of a couple of people who almost died from the procedure. On the other hand I know more people who have lost a lot of weight, kept it off and look great!

I told myself the band would be better because it's more healthy...but you guys pointed out additional facts that I was oblivious to and never thought about. I feel even more excited and can't wait to begin my new life!

You guys just made my day! Thanks so much again, I will sleep well tonight knowing I really have made the right decision! :wink2:

God bless you all!!

I know about 5 people who had GB who gained the weight back...or ended up having a leak in their intestines and having stuff leak out into their bodies. They may lose a lot faster but they have a greater chance of gaining it back and most seem to. Eventually it's like they never even had surgery and they are back to their old ways too.

I chose lapband and I am sooo excited to have my surgery in November. It can't come soon enough!!