Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are Blood clots common after Lap Band?

Hello everybody! I have a crazy question. Are blood clots common/probable after this surgery? I was just banded on 7/24/08, and was feeling fine for the most part. Then last night I had a short, slight cramping in my left calf, that went away after a few seconds. My legs and feet have also been swollen off and on (but not really today), which I was attributing to the high sodium in the chicken broth. But lying in bed last night it was scaring me to think about a clot going to my heart! I had the surgery in Mexico (self-pay) and do not have health coverage here right now. I didn't want to just go to a Dr. for 1 cramp, then have to pay a big bill for nothing, but I also don't want anything bad to happen either. I'm also feeling the gas pains in my shoulder now and hadn't really before. Am I just being paranoid?? Thanks.

PS) I also hadn't gone for a walk the last 2 days, but did the first 4 and today too.

The fact is blood clots are always a possibility after surgery, and inactivity doesn't help. If the pain goes on, call a doctor. If you become short of breath... call 911.

julie

Thanks for the speedy reply Julie! I've not had shortness of breath, so I guess that's good. I did the treadmill today for a half hour only at 2.7mph, and I'll keep doing it. I don't want to chance anything, after coming this far! Do you know when the chance for a clot goes away/is reduced??

I don't know when the chance is reduced, but I know that my surgeon made me do self-injections of a blood clot preventative for seven days after surgery....so my guess is at least seven days. Hope the problems go away soon.

Blood clots are possible after surgery and in fact, someone posted a few weeks ago that she got one and got to the doctor in time to resolve it.

My doctor sent me home from the hospital with he following instructions....

Call the surgeon immediatedly if:

Fever 100.5 or above

Chest pain and/or shortness of breath

Nausea and/or vomitting that last more than 12 hours

Pain, redness, and/or swelling in your legs

Urine output less than four times in 24 hours

Increased pain and/or pus-like drainage from your wounds

Pain that is unrelieved by pain medication

Edited by Long2BFree

I had a blood clot in 2003 and it's not something to take lightly. I thank God I'm here today....luckily I listened to my body and didn't ignore the symptoms. I was banded July 2, 2008 and had to self inject a blood clot peventitive for a week following surgery. With any kind of surgery people are at a risk of getting a clot but especially with abdominal surgery. As a previous person said, just watch out for shortness of breath in addition to swelling in you leg. When I had the clot, I had pain in my calf at first, then the pain went away and I had swelling, my calf was warm to the touch, and then I had some shortness of breath. Even if you don't have shortness of breath but have swelling with warmth in your leg, get it checked out. Good luck to you!

Lisa :cursing:

Thanks Lisa! Would taking an aspirin a day help (as a blood thinner)?? If so does aspirin hurt the band or stomach pouch (because I was told liquid Tylenol-if pain)? I haven't had anymore swelling, but that could be because I have done the treadmill for 30 minutes yesterday and today.

Before I was banded I took an 81 mg aspirin daily that my general Doctor told me to take but a week prior to being banded I stopped. I've heard that aspirin is not good to take with the band so I haven't taken it since. I suggest you ask your regular doctor as well as your lap band surgeon their advice. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Lisa :)