Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just waiting to hear.....

Hi!

My name is Julie, I'm 40 y/o and live in Kansas. Last year our insurance company okay'ed having bariatric surgery except for the fact that the hospitals that would do it were all 3 hours away. They hoped to have one closer this year that would be approved as a "Blue Distinction Center". I started calling all the local hospitals in Feburary and only one had applied. They kept me posted on the progress. I did my seminar on March 5th, they shook hands in April, I got all my paperwork and and medical records to them during this time, they signed on the dotted line in June, and I had the first of my 2 required psych appointments made at that time. I have just been send approval from the psych doctor and now they are composing my letter of "need" for this surgery. I have my fingers crossed it will all go through without a hitch, I have no idea what to expect yet. I have great confidence in this Bariatric Center as they all seem quite on top of things. This past Monday I was given a "Lifestyle" daily sheet to log what I eat, how much, what my thoughts and feelings are, exercise, etc. I was also given a list of books in which he thought would be helpful to me, one being "Mindless Eating". I have to say I am just shocked at how many times a day I mindlessly ate on junk. I was a diet pop junkie until Monday and haven't had one since, I quit smoking in January, my mom had gastric bypass last Sept, has lost 100 pounds and is doing phenominally. I am trying not to get too excited yet until I know "FOR SURE" it's a go with my insurance company but I have been reading up on everything I can about what to eat, the do's and don'ts, the helpful hints, and everything inbetween. You all seem very helpful and a great group of support, which adds to the wonderful support I have had at home, work, friends.....

I guess my biggest fear is having some kind of infection or issue from having the port or the band in. Has anyone experienced this at all? I have read 99% of positive things after surgery but just wanted to see if you were willing to share any adverse affects you may have experienced. I look forward to reading more on the first few weeks foods, making grocery lists, absorbing all the information I can. I believe knowledge is power so anything I can expect I would love to get the inside scoop on.

Thank you all in advance for sharing your thoughts, words, experiences and stories here, it makes a difference. Good luck to you all.

Hugs,

JulieG

First of all, congrats on your decision to change your life!!! If you still have doubts, let me share my exoerience. I KNEW that I would develop larger health issues than I already had if I didn't do the surgery. I knew there were chances of complications. I believed there was a good chance I could lose a fair amount of weight if I did the surgery. I could go on and on with what I knew. I would still be thinking the same things, dealing with the same doubts and still be less than happy with myself if I hadn't moved forward. I believe in JFDI, which means Just Focus and Do It! Since my surgery, I have changed the meaning just a bit... Just Freaking Do It!!! I just freaking did it and am so freaking happy I did!!! Just freaking do it!! You'll be so happy you did!!!

Chris, thanks so much for sharing your insight and experience. I know that each person experiences things differently but for the most part I have only heard positive things. I guess we should be wary some days of just driving into work so why should this be any different? LOL Congrats on your choice & your weight loss, that is something to be proud of. Also it was nice to get a man's perspective & input as I see mostly women responding. Continued success and luck to you......I'll try to keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks again,

JulieG