Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for people already banded...

:teeth_smile: Can you feel the band?? what i mean is: does it feel like something is sqeezing your stomach?? what about the port??:thumbup:

:confused2:Also- i hear that after surgery, the worst part is the gas pain. What is the best remedy for this??

Thanks for the help!

event.png

I have had mine sine May 12th. At first you can feel stuff but it is not uncomfortable or painful but once everything is starting to heal, you don't feel it. You can feel the port with your hand because it is just under the skin but to feel it inside no. I did feel the band after my first fill for a couple of days. But after that it went away. It does take a while for the port spot to heal inside which made it tuff to do certain arobic exercises at the gym but as far as walking and the eliptical I had no problems. I am very glad I had it done.

As far as the gas, I have gas all the time but I do not have any gas pains. I know two other ladies that have the band and they say they have gas also. I have read that it lasts 3 months. Some say longer. I am about 2 1/2 months out and I think it is decreasing. Before I would have it for 2 hours after I ate every time I ate. I know my friend takes GasX she says it helps. I haven't taken anything for it. I did read some one else said Charcol is the best but I don't even know what that is.

Edited by KVM

I was banded March 18, 2008.

I didn't feel the band until my 2nd fill. but I can definetly feel it especially now. I don't know if its because I have always been aware of how things feel going down or what.

When I chew well, or drink Water its almost a full feeling that I get, even when I am not full with the band.

If I am eating a meal and really need that drink of Water sometimes it gets stuck, like Santa gets stuck in the chimney. Theres a lot of pressure, and panic. So far it hasn't hurt, but it is definetly uncomfortable.

actually feeling the band, I haven't felt it physically. I just know its there and am very aware when I have eaten too much or not chewed well enough.

However, I am able to feel the port and the line from the port almost to the band. I rubbed my fingers on it to be sure and it was almost like it was flipping around inside... it was a weird sensation.

_ Its not gas pain like you get from eating Beans, its pain from the gas that they load you up with under the skin to make the surgery easier... its one of the downfalls of Laproscopic surgery. Gas X and that sort isn't going to help it. I found that walking helped the best or forcing burps...but it still did not completely make it go away... I wasn't in terrible pain as I've read for other people just slight discomfort and only for a short time after the surgery. The gas will naturally release through your skin overtime.

Cheers!

I had horrible gas pain that lasted about a week. Nothing really helped I just kept trying to walk as much as I could. As for the full feeling you'll Just no. I think I am finally were I am supposed to be, I can not over eat. or drink with my meals. Well best of luck.

Like Picturemethin said, there is no sensation of the band itself. Just the sensations it causes, like you don't have much room in your stomach. Most of the time, I am entirely unaware of any sensation at all related to the band. It does take a long time for the port incision to heal, and that is still tender, but no big deal.

The gas they put in during surgery is most definitely the most uncomfortable part of the process. When my surgeon came in two hours after surgery, and asked if I had pain in my belly, or nausea, I told him, "No...the incisions don't hurt, and there is no nausea, but I think I'm having a heart attack!"

He assured me that I was not having a heart attack, and that the pain in my chest/shoulder was from the gas, and that it would dissipate over the next several days. It did, and I was glad to be done with that part!

The healing process is not all fun and games, and does require more self discipline than I have typically exercised, but it's a powerful motivation to know that "cheating" could damage this tool I just spent several thousand dollars on!

One thing I will mention though....I am almost 5 weeks post op, and I still have not eaten in public. During this reintroduction to solid foods, I have found a few things that cause a bout of sliming, and/or pb'ing. Not fun, and NOT PRETTY! I also forget to wait between bites, which also causes those less than delightful displays. I suggest you start practicing eating habits now, such as chewing stuff until it is literally liquified, and waiting 20 seconds after you have swallowed to take your next bite. These are not behaviors that come natural to food addicts, and you will save yourself some misery later if you get those habits down now!

One thing about the band is that when you mess up, the consequences are immediate, and clear!

I think a lot depends on your surgeon and surgery team. Except for the sutures, I couldn't tell I had anything done really. I had no gas pain at all. I cannot feel my port (but he did describe to me where it was). I cannot feel restriction (but I haven't had a fill yet). So, I think everyone has a little different experience.

I just joined this site, am learning about lap-band surgery. I go to my first meeting in a few weeks. The information you give is so helpful ! Thank you all so much !!!!

To get rid of gas pain, get down on your hands and knees, put your forearms down on the ground and put your head down too, leaving your butt up in the air. This releases the gas out. I don't know why or how, but it does. I still do this if I get all gassed up and it still works. An ER doc told me to do this after I ended up in the ER after surgery from such bad pain, I thought I had a blood clot. They took a CAT scan and there was a huge gas bubble they could see. I went home and did it and it came right out!!! Pain gone!!! I can imagine it won't work for everyone or everytime, but you can try it!!