Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Husband and wife team

Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself (and my husband). I am a 30 year old registered nurse who has struggled with my weight for my entire life. My husband is a 33 year old "computer dork" who has also struggled with his weight for longer than he can remember. We both were extrememly active in high school, and even into college, but of course that changed when we hit "real life". We have both lost weight and gained it back. But thankfully we are both getting banded next week - me on Monday 7/28 and him on 7/29!!

One of the things that attracted us to each other and has kept us together is our experience with weight loss and gain. We can relate to one another and can be each other support (and unfortunately, each others worst enemy!!). But we are tired of the struggle of losing weight and not being able to keep it off. We have both FINALLY admitted to ourselves that we need help!

As I said we are getting banded next week at the Institute for Advanced Bariatric Surgery, in Lenexa, Kansas, by Dr Wanda Kaniewski. We are SO excited! We are struggling through the dreaded 10 day liver-shrinking/liquid diet but are determined to get through it!

I have been "lurking" around the site for several months now and decided I had better introduce myself. Thank you to everyone who has provided support to me (even though you don't even know it!). It's great to have some place to go and share triumphs and tribulations with people who understand!

Wish us luck!!! :eek:

~~Allison

Welcome and good luck. I too am a RN and just felt like I was losing battle. I work in OR and have been doing lap bands for last year and with great study and actually seeing what is done and taking care of patients pre-op, intra-op and post op. I decided I would have it done. It wasn't bad except for sholder pain from co2. sugar free popsciles saved me. Things tasted so sweet to me. I mostly drank my Protein drinks and popsciles. The whey Bullets were way to sweet. Good Luck

Red

My husband and I were banded the same day, and it has been great going through this together. We have our own mini support group. We aren't going in different directions for meals and Snacks, and we can support each other rather than sabotaging each other, which some spouses do! Best wishes for an easy and successful surgery and post op.

My husband and I were banded the same day, and it has been great going through this together. We have our own mini support group. We aren't going in different directions for meals and Snacks, and we can support each other rather than sabotaging each other, which some spouses do! Best wishes for an easy and successful surgery and post op.

like snowbird - i was banded the same day as my husband & very greatful to have go through this as a team. we're pretty competitive (in just about everything), it however has been extremely helpful on days i'm not up for the gym, he pushes - or if he wants a midnight snack, i hand him an apple....we check each other & hold one another accountable.

all the best to both of you on your upcoming surgery!!

Hey, it was neat to see your post. I was banded on 2/22/08 & my husband was banded on my birthday 3/17/08. After observing our best friend for the last 3 yrs with the band & seeing her lose 100+ pds and also flying through her reconstructive surgery. Her success story gave us the confidence to finally decide to have it as well. We both have struggled with our weight since our pre-teen years and we knew we had to take drastic measures to ensure we live a healthy, happy long life. Best wishes for you & your husband.

Edited by FunkyGirl
misspelled word

Congrats to you both! I am being banded this Thursday (7/24).

Hi! I too am being banded on 7/24. Good luck to you!