Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From 455 lbs to 190.. back to 500! Surgery in 9 days!!

Hi Steve, I just wanted to also reach out to you and say good luck with your issues. I'm also being banded in Mexico on July 24th. I leave on the 23rd-so soon! My story is much like yours. I lost 75LBs as a teenager, kept it off thru high school, then gained it back plus some. In 2002 I lost 87 more pounds, and swore that I would not let myself gain it back again! After a break-up I used food to comfort me, and just didn't care. That spiraled out of control, then it was harder to manage and/or lose the weight. Now I realize that I need more help other than calorie counting and exercise and I pray that the band will be the answer. I SO know what you mean by tasting the good life. I was so much happier with myself (and the attention) that I got as a thinner person. Now I won't even date (on the off-chance that I could) because of my own discomfort with my body. Whoo, seems like I had to vent too. Good Luck and safe trip to you!

I know exactly where you're coming from. About 20 years ago, I was on the Diet Center program where you reported to one of their counselors every day - lost 110 lbs in 9 months, kept it off an hour and a half, and gained 130 lbs back the following 9 months. I can remember the frustration of not being able to control my appetite and everyone being so disappointed in the fact I was gaining it all back. About 10 years ago, I went on a low carb diet and lost 80 lbs but after a few months, that came back plus some. Then I had gallbladder surgery as all this losing and gaining messed up my body.

I have tried to lose again many times, but my body goes into a state of panic. Now, I am waiting to talk to my surgeon about the lap band - I was turned down for this about 3 years ago by another surgeon due to my age and the scar tissue from the gallbladder surgery, but my current doctor seems to think this surgeon can do this for me. When you lose and gain large amounts like we have, your metabolism gets destroyed and makes it that much harder to lose. I have tried every diet I can think of but about 10 lbs is all I can manage on my own.

I wish you all the success in the world with your surgery and know that you will be so much happier once it is done and you are on your way back to a normal weight.

I totally understand and can see how a person with a weight problem can lose and gain such large numbers. My numbers may not have been the same as yours but the journey is/was the same. Dude I think it is awesome that you are taking this step to get the band. I think with your history of weight lose and your desire to experience the success you had in the past you will do AMAZING! Please keep us updated as our stories encourage each other ! Good-luck to you with your surgery!!

gettinthin..

Yah, I'm with ya on the dating thing :-)

I'm one sexy dude for a big (lol.. trust me I'm not conceited) and and suprisingly the opportunities are there... nevertheless I'm not ready for that challenge, challenge of getting my life back together while juggling a relationship.

Great comment, it hit home and it certainly doesn't suprise me others have been down this road. Me losing that crazy amount of weight on my own became an obsession, it came off so fast cuz i was working out everyday.

Life hits hard, I guess its just how you deal with it :-)

Thanks for the post, amen!

Laurinda...

Yes, I'm a regular here.

My ex wife, whom I honestly have a great relationship with asked me the other day how long it would take to lose the weight?

I told her honestly, no idea, I've read of so many different experiences with people and their results with the lap band.

I do know this, I plan on helping this along once I stop experiencing the back pain. I love to work out, love to sweat.. I just want it all back and hope to help the lapband along with an ultra healthy lifestyle once I'm banded...

I will update update update, just like we all should... I hope to be an inspiration to someone else.

P.S. There are many out there who have somehow sent me private messages stating they don't believe me and my story? Why would I lie, I'm a 500 lb guy looking to change his life, my story is as true as my 4 year old daughter (as of Friday :-) is the light of this mans life.

Ya know I was actually involved in a screening process for the Oprah Winfrey show (on weight loss of course) when I had lost about the 1st 100 lbs in May of 2001. I guess at -100 lbs I wasnt impressive enough.

The show aired about 8 weeks later, and to my FREAKING amazement the guy they had on had lost 212 on his own (about 50 less than I would have accomplished by that December) and OPRAH BOUGHT THE MAN A PORSCHE BOXSTER. I still smile, and then cry when i see that episode of Oprah. I smile/cry because the man lost the weight, not because I felt there was a chance that could've been me in that car.

I don't operate like that, weight loss stories at this point in my battle make me cry. Having lost what I did and meeting my beautiful wife it changed my perspective on life.

There is no taste like the taste for the good life....

You're in good company here! A lot of us have lost weight before, our challenge has been keeping it off. I have lost 100 pounds three times over the past 20 years (not as much as you've lost, but still they were big victories for me!) and obviously, always gained it back, and then some. And like most of us here, it's obvious I have an eating problem. Eating has always been my way of dealing with everything. Sad? Eat. Depressed? Eat. Worried? Eat. Happy? Eat. Need to Celebrate? Eat. Lonely? Eat. You know the drill.

Since I was banded two months ago I'm learning the difference between real hunger and "head" hunger. I'm gaining insights into myself that I've never encountered before. It's definitely a learning experience.

I think you're headed on your way to a good journey. It will have its ups and downs (no pun intended) but I really believe anyone who really wants to, will succeed by using their band as the tool it's meant to be.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes maam..

Sad mad glad ticked excited.. bored, busy..... depressed happy!

Its all been celebrated by EATING! Definetly a disorder, it just took me goin through all this to realize it could kill me.

Up until about the last few months I've been suprisingly mobile, now the pains are increasing and my blood pressure has shot up as well....

I experienced some crazy swelling in my legs, dr. visit.. and here I am.

I'm a self pay, and thought to myself? Pay off all my debts or have this surgery.

What does paying off your debts get you I thought? Peace of mind, and a happy feeling so I'd probably just go out to EAT!

The circle stops here, I'm giving it everything i have...

Kind words, I thank you and hope to hear again about how well your doing :-)

Avery,

I get upset when I run into people who think the only reason for the weight problem is a lack of willpower. I have had people tell me I should lose weight as my weight makes them nervous. I have had children turn to their moms and ask, is that lady going to have a baby? I was already in my 50's. When I lost the big weight and was starting to put it back on, one of my co-workers rushed into the restaurant where I was having lunch with friends to say, I heard you had lost lots of weight. Oh, you're fat again. And left. I had a boss who would be so attentive when I was losing that 80 lbs a few years ago, but once it started back up, wouldn't even speak to me again. Someone told me he thinks people who gain like I did are losers and he didn't deal with losers. Even my mother scoffed at my attempts to lose. So, I live alone and right now, have no friends - I've been in my home for 26 years and have probably had company a dozen times, and most of them were my younger son and family. I hate living like this, but until I have the surgery, all I can do is try to watch what I eat. I put myself back on low carb - no bread, sugar or starchy foods. And the weight just sits there. Until you walk in my shoes, you have no idea what this is like. So, I just keep on keeping. Good things will happen sooner or later.

Take care. So glad you started this thread.

OMG how rude for ppl to be sending you private messages telling you they don't believe you! Why make this up? Who would be so bored they come to a lap band board and tell stories? Those of you sending private messages with negative comments shame on you! If someone is looking for help or support and you are not buying into what they are saying...say nothing!

KROSMON

Actually, my name is STEVE :-)

Avery would be my soon to be 4 year old daughter, I'm in this in part to be a better dad and to be able to kpupwithavery :-)

So good you are hear and meeting people, myself I think its wonderful you havent given up.

People have NO clue what it A. Like to be overweight B. What it takes to lose it...

I don't wanna say people are ignorant, but .... well??? Some are...

Unfortunately for "customers of size" (thats what I'm called on Southwest Airline.com) there are some people out there that do a good job of being the "fat lazy" people everyone love to stereo type us against..

You keep on keeping on! Don't stop, we're ALL here for ya so keep on posting :-)

Lol

Thanks, very nice of you to take such a stance.

You know what I told them?

Send me your email addres, I'll give you before/after and then after and after after pics..

I'll cover the whole time frame.. no secrets here. IT was an amazing time of my life, and as tough as it was I got my daughter out of it so while I'd adjust, nothing could change :-)

Thanks!

Hello everyone, name is Steve and my surgery date is fast approaching. I'm learning things by the seat of my pants after having switched gears from a U.S. surgery to a Mexico based surgery.

Pre Op diets all seem to be different.

Advice seems to all be different.

I am anxious, and a tad bit nervous....

I'm a 34 year old who is recently divorced from my wife (and daughter). Yah, the daughter was the big loss. Since my separation and subsequent divorce I've gain.. you ready..... 245 lbs! Yah, I basically doubled in size battling depression and separation anxiety disorder while I adjust to life without my daughter in my life everyday.

In the past I managed to lose 260 lbs on my own, working out and eating healthy. That occurred from Jan 01 to December 01.. Thats right, 11.5 months and it was all gone! The weight was off...

Then, I met the girl of my dreams.. Got married, had my daughter Avery and settled into a nice lil life... for a while.. then it happened... Divorce.. eating problems, and I went off the deep end gaining about 10-12 lbs a month for two years and hear I am now...

This is a must, I tasted the good life.. and want it back..

36_1_67.gifDear Steve, good luck on your journey, I am sure you can do it this time and keep it off. I am 6 weeks post op and had first fill 1 week ago. were all in this together, keep the faith.

weight.png

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZNxdm117YYUS

BANDOF GOLD

Thanks for the well wishes, it is a journey :-)

I'm hoping to come across another that is as big as me :-) Guess I waited longer than most at 495 lbs....

Thanks for the support, great job yourself. You guys are all my inspiration now. I love to see success...

Hi Steve,

11 months ago I was given a new lease on life. The Lapband! I had given up on myself after trying and failing on all sorts of diets over and over again. I am down about 137 lbs. and it feels great. I still have about 100 lbs. to go but I know with my special tool I will get there.

This is the best decision you have made for yourself and I will be here to support you in the months again. This is a wonderful website and has helped me immensely in the previous months. Don't hesitate to write when you need help or questions answered.

You can do this.

I wish for you a safe and successful surgery and a new way of life.

Prayers are with you and Avery.

Regards,

shelli:thumbup:

Wow, incredible story! Good luck with the band. It sounds like you'll be very successful with it. :thumbup:

I'm a bit smaller guy, around the 400 mark (1st time I've ever been referred to as smaller lol). Hoping to get the band within the next couple months. I'm glad I found this place. It's an inspiration to read all of these stories. I've got a lot to lose, but I can do it. I've got to do it.