Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when did people start to notice your loss?

When did people start to notice your weight loss? I can tell a difference in my clothes...but I want to know when it will be apparent to others ;-) Not that I did this for anyone but myself...just wondering ;-) Thanks!

It took about 30 lbs and I still notice most people don't really want to comment. Jealous? I am just now really noticing for myself, mostly when I try on old clothes that didn't fit before. I didn't keep my surgery a secret so I guess that most people are just thinking it's not happening fast enough. Lot's of people expect the by-pass results.

My husband always comments though and that's what counts!

Im noticing now, I didnt notice, that much before, mainly in my face. But, now, I can tell I have gone down a size. I can wear clothes comfortably now. Even clothes, I put away, that I couldnt wear anymore. I get my first fill on Wednesday, well see how that goes after that. Im crossing my fingers and hoping that it will drop more weight for me.

At about 20 pounds. Other people noticed before I did (i.e. clothes getting looser etc.) even people who didn't know about the surgery.

It was close to 50 pounds before I started really being able to tell the difference. At about 65 pounds, I totally changed my wardrobe, hair and started wearing contacts, so I looked a lot different at that point. Because I started at a pretty high BMI, it was a while before the change was noticeable. My dh has consistently made good comments, though and that helps me feel like I'm really changing.

Okay I'll chime in on this one - because I struggle with it myself -

I, myself am JUST NOW starting to notice changes - (and I'm down 28/29 pounds - banded Feb 5 2008) - so being discouraged in this, I talked to my doc about it at my last appointment - he reminded me that this journey is a PROCESS and not to expect results over night. He chose not to do a fill at my last appointment because I was averaging a pound a week and not really getting hungry WHEN I EAT PROPERLY.... I think that it's easy to compare ourselves with the Roux - en -y'ers but that's not really fair. The doc explained that this weight loss is much more healthy and better for your body. Patience and persistenence. That's the key.

I am 5'7" and started out with a BMI of 40. People started noticing when I lost 30 pounds. People who are very close to me started noticing the 30 pound loss and they really noticed when I went on vacation for 10 days and came back. They said I looked like a different person, even though I only lost 3 while gone. I think the absence made the difference because they weren't seeing me daily.

I think random friends and acquaintances are REALLY noticing now that I have dropped almost 40, but they don't come right out and say it (probably because they don't know me very well -- and my band is a secret, so I don't tell people I'm trying to lose). They comment on how tan I've gotten (I've been working out outdoors) or some other compliment . . . but they don't mention my weight specifically. I think some people are just afraid to -- they don't want to offend anyone.

DH is loving the new stuff from Victoria's Secret, though! It's been a long time since I was able to shop there! :crying:

It was about 30 lbs before people started noticing. I can notice in my face and my clothes but to look at my body in the mirror I see no change. Although I had a co-worked that works in a differant office come in on Friday. I have not seen him in a couple of months. He asked me if I had been sick, I replied no do I look that bad today, he said no you just have lost a lot of wt and look great. Sometimes I think people just don't know what to day mainly if they don't know your trying to get healthy??

At about 20 lbs down I started noticing it in my face, feet, and my clothes getting looser. At 32 lbs now, those closest to me can really tell a difference. Those that know me, but aren't really close to me, haven't really noticed yet. But I am at a really high BMI, so 30 lbs off of me doesn't show as much as 30 lbs off of someone with only 100 lbs to lose.

I started w/ a BMI of 34 and after losing 10lbs some people noticed a difference. My clothes fit a littler better too!:-)

I was wearing baggy clothes that didn't fit me at all when I had lost about 40 lbs. I wasn't into buying clothes that I wasn't going to be able to wear for very long. Finally, it got to a point to where I had to buy some new clothes. That is when everyone started commenting.

My coworkers noticed the first day I came back to work 2 weeks post op. They said my face was a lot slimmer and my clothes a lot bigger.. I have now lost 38 lbs pre and post op so I can tell a huge difference in my clothes.

Well, I just have to confess here that I am having a totally crappy day. I think this is the right thread to do it in, too.

Let me start by saying that I am 5'7" and I started off wearing size 22 pants, size 20 tops, and a bra size of 42DD. Almost 40 pounds later and I am wearing a size 18 pants, but some 16s fit, too. I am wearing size 14 tops. My bra size is down to a 40C, but I'll probably be in Bs very soon here as some of the Cs are starting to gap a bit. I'm in a 16 in dresses.

Let's just say that it is a HUGE difference. I suppose I should post before and after pictures. My face doesn't even look the same shape at all.

We went to lunch with close friends today who I haven't seen since May (probably at my highest weight ever).

Yup. You guessed it. They said NOTHING. Nothing at all. I could not believe it. (and I'm even wearing an outfit that shocked my husband because he said it makes me look so skinny -- and my husband DOES NOT notice things like weight, clothing, or anything -- he's daft like that).

So, I'm in a major funk. My head is playing mental games with me and I know it . . . it's so hard not to indulge in negative thoughts about myself because I deep down thought they might say something positive. Isn't that DUMB??!!???!!! ugh. I'm mad at myself for letting it get to me, too. I wish I was one of those people where things like that could just be no big deal.

I guess I'll go take it out on my powerwalking shoes since I can't take it out on my refrigerator or my waistline. Thank God for my lapband! [and thank you for letting me have a pity party.]

I started out with a BMI of 53 so it took a while for ppl to notice the difference I would say about 60 lbs

You and I started at the same height and same BMI we also have lost about the same amount and are wearing about the same size clothes.

Let me tell you that it is not you who are playing head games but rather your friends. I am going through the exact same thing! Luckily I wasnt the frist of my friends to lose weight, another one lost before me. I hadn't seen her for a long time and I didn't get a chance to talk with her directly, but when I mentioned her weight lost to my other friends, they all were nothing but bitter!!! I couldn't believe their response to something that I thought was a positive. Based on that I knew they would never support my decision to get the band or make postive commments and I haven't gotten any. Even the skinny people don't like it when other people lose weight...not sure why.

Your husband is the only one who counts and it sounds like he is noticing!!!!

Congrats on your weight lost- Isn't it great to say goodbye to the size 20's and some of the 18's? I love trying on clothes I haven't been able to wear for years..

Pity Party on me anytime- I understand where you are at!