Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to lose weight in full liquid stage?

I amd 2 and 1/2 weeks post op. Only lost 7 pounds and know it is because I am scarfing down full liquids with lots of carbs and the occasional mashed potatoes and refried Beans with cheese. I can either "go with it" like my doctor said and wait until my first fill - or I can be understandably panicked since I paid 16 thou for this thing and make the effort to lose despite the high carb diet.

Can I do lo carb and high Protein without damaing my band? I was thinking soft eggs, cheese, cottage cheese - but that will get old quick - any other suggestions? I am ready to make this damn thing work!

okay don't panic. can you have yogurt? Jello? I am also in full liquids, i have to be on liquids for 3 weeks. first 7 clear. I have chosen not to weigh myself at all until the 4 week checkup. You might just want to stop doing that to LOL..I have had several people commment that i look to be losing weight(i take that as a good sign) I try to eat sensibly without killing a bunch of Soup. or doing the low carb, health request ones. so for me i try to do something along the lines of this during the week:

b-sugar free Breakfast carnation mxed with skim milk

l-yogurt

snack: sugar free jello cup

dinner: soup

I try not to eat dinner after 7 pm and do not snack after that time. I don't usually feel really hungry, sometimes my tummy is a lil grumbly before dinner but if i find something to occupy my mind low and behold i easily hold out. Hope this helps ya, just remember to breath. Really i believe my doc when he says this time is for healing, we can do this girl!!

Are you getting in all your Protein too, or choosing carbs *instead* of Protein?

Have you been doing Protein shakes? What are your portion sizes?

I'd say if you're following your dr's rules, then the course of action is to try and stay as mellow about losing weight during this time as possible. However, if you haven't been getting your protein in, or are eating significanly more than you should be, then definitely try to recommit to the general bandster rules.

I'm not counting carbs at all right now (2 weeks, 1 day out from surgery) because I'm eating so little. I eat plenty of higher carb foods right now, but work to get in my protein through shakes, and through mixing some whey powder into most everything I make. Mashed potatoes can totally be higher in protein with a little unflavored powder mixed in. I'm keeping my intake to 1/2 cup portions three times a day, or two if I have a biggish Protein shake in the morning.

Many, many bandsters don't lose or don't lose much until their first fill. They don't call this time "Bandster Hell" for nothin'!

Take care (hugs).

Just started into mushy stage, but you have to get that Protein in. I was at a stand still for almost the entire two week liquid period until I started watching my Protein intake more carefully. When I added more protein shakes, the weight just fell off and I wasn't hungry either.

Proteins are more useful than carbs. They are your building block. If you don't take in enough, your body will break down your muscle tissue to insure it gets what it needs. The carbs that are not used will convert to fat. Proteins also take more time to breakdown, so you are able to stay full longer. Whereas most carbs just keep you wanting more.

Perhaps you could do like Erin and mix non-flavored Protein Powder into your Soups. Get you one of those high protein powders and blend with fresh/frozen fruit to make a thick smoothie. That usually does the trick for me. If you make a smoothie, try mixing with Water instead of milk and or maybe throw in some yogurt or cottage cheese in for extra protein and added creaminess.

Hopefully these next few days will pass quickly and then you can eat something else. I was ready to breakdown in tears if I had to eat more cream Soup, so I know how you feel. Try to make your meals more enjoyable if you can. Set out a nice place setting. Make the atmosphere as peaceful and nice as you can. Listen to relaxing, soft music. Perhaps even add a candle on the table for dinner. Try not to see it as the same old boring meal. Prepare you body and your mind for the nicer things to come. When it comes down to it, we just need to break away from those old bad habits. I struggle with them everyday, but I know in the end it is going to be worth it. Plus like you, the thought of spending all that cash on another failed weight loss plan is a great deal of motivation for me. That and the fact my fiance didn't want me to have the surgery and thought it was a waste of my money.

Good luck to you.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

I completly understand you worry, concern and frustration. I am 4 weeks after surgery and when I went for my 2 week post op check up I had regained some of the weight I had initially lost during the liquid. I appreciate the comment about bandster hell because the appetite does return. However my nurse said IT IS OKAY. She reassured me that I was not a failure as most people have this reaction. She assured me that I will lose weight after my first fill. I have been making sure I get my 60g of Protein a day and trying to eat mushed up cheese, Protein Shakes and Soup. I use Unjury protein that my mentor recommended because it tastes good and is easier to digest. Everyone has been through this phase and there is light at the end of this tunnel.

noahsmomm - low carb will not damage your band. eggs and low-fat cottage cheese are great for this stage. They fill you up and you get Protein. Your protein should be your first priority. You should try and stay clear of the potatoes, the refried Beans are alot better for you. For the mushie stage, I ate most things, but used my boat motor/or food processor to mush them up. Try chicken with a little lite mayo or with Tostitos spinach dip, yum. tuna salad, egg salad, etc., very high protein and still mushy. Good luck.

Reading here, I can't believe the things people are eating on a full liquid diet. If cottage cheese, and yogurt is liquid, what is mushy? And what is solid? I mean, it's all mushy after you chew it for a while...

I Lost 22 lbs during the liquid phase of my recovery. I did get awfully sick of Meal Replacement shakes, but at only 120 calories for 20% of your entire day's nutritional needs, they are hard to beat. I monitored my intake of every nutrient during this time, and made sure it fit into an 800 calorie day, and that nothing risked stretching my pouch, and straining healing stitches. I avoided cream Soups, and high calorie drinks. (both usually have not only a lot of calories, but a lot of sodium)

This is such a short part of the process. It was really important to me to start losing weight right away. I didn't care to wait until my first fill. So I figured I could manage to control my intake for a few weeks while I wait, and get the process started. But I have talked to a lot of bandsters who didn't lose weight at all during the first six weeks. It's a long journey....not a huge difference whether you start now or start in 6 week. It will work.

You guys, listen, you just got banded... 2.5 weeks post op... or 4 weeks post op.... calm down.. your body is still healing and you're not going to lose much and you might even plateau for a few weeks.

Dont' automatically start blaming the band and saying "i paid this much and it better work".. give it a few months... give your body time to heal. A lot of people will lose a lot on those dumb liquid diets pre-band, and then gain some or not lose anymore when they actually start eating food.. don't become anorexic over it or panic over it.

I didn't get good restriction until my third fill. I still lost weight, but I was doing the south beach diet before I got good restriction. The best advice I can give is to go get those fills as soon as you can. Don't wait. My doctor told me every 3-4 weeks and you better believe I was there by the 3rd week. Now I have perfect restriction and have even cancelled my last two fills because I didn't need them. I'm consistently dropping 8-10 lbs a month, which is a good amount to lose. Remember, we didn't get the bypass here.. we got the band. If you are losing 1-2 lbs a week you are doing awesome. But even plateaus are good because it tells your body you've accepted the weight loss.

Have patience!! Like someone said, we didn't get this way overnight! I have only been banded for one week and am still on liquids for one more week. It is challenging, but I look at it like I am laying the foundation for all the good stuff to happen. I want to heal and then worry about eating REAL food. Don't mess up things! You can do it.