Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Get This Party Started!

Yesterday I was getting ready for work and I was looking in the mirror drying off and I noticed a huge bump at the bottom of my neck. I freaked out. I was poking it, feeling if it would move or if it were hard or soft. I went right to my dh and was panicked. He started laughing at me "hun, thats your collar bone!" It took me 21 pounds to find my collar bone!

Now im wondering what else is gonna pop out on me...........YIKES!

OMG :crying: I am picturing this and LMAO!! That is classic!

i'm not on the official august roster but i was banded 8-18. today is my 1 wk post surgery date! :crying: i am finally starting to feel human again. my dr. has you drinking no Protein Shakes the first wk so i have had zero Protein for 1 wk and only clear liquids...ugh! today i was able to add Protein Drinks and cream Soup to my diet which i loved! i have lost 17 lbs since friday 8-15. wahoooo!

ansley

Yesterday I was getting ready for work and I was looking in the mirror drying off and I noticed a huge bump at the bottom of my neck. I freaked out. I was poking it, feeling if it would move or if it were hard or soft. I went right to my dh and was panicked. He started laughing at me "hun, thats your collar bone!" It took me 21 pounds to find my collar bone!

Now im wondering what else is gonna pop out on me...........YIKES!

that is hilarious...best story I have read all night. :crying:

Hi, when is your surgery again? Are you having it at REX? Mine is tomorrow at Duke. YIKES. I'm excited.

Kathy

Hey Kathy! I'm on Thursday at Rex and I'm right down the road in Holly Springs. I'll be back at work at NC State on Tuesday, since I have a private office and just sit behind a desk. Keep us posted on how your trip to BandLand was!

Hey all! Sorry it's taken a few days to get back on this thread, but just wanted to let you know that all is well, Tijuana was tremendous, Dr. Kuri is the most compassionate doctor I have ever met and I have had a recovery better than I could have ever expected. The hospital and hotel were both absolutely spotless with gleaming marble floors, sparkling glass doors, and first rate care and service. The surgery itself went very well and despite the language barrier, communication with the nursing staff was definitely possible (who needs words!). We arrived back in Regina on Saturday night and today was my first back at work. It seemed like a REALLY long day. I was supposed to attend a meeting tonite but I fell asleep and TOTALLY missed it... OOPS!! ;) Oh well...

I've done fairly well with tolerable pain from both the 5 incisions and the Co2 gas, although today seems to be one of the worst I've had :crying:(still not too bad though!).

Going back to the last post I had put on this thread, sadly my kitty passed away the night before we left. It was just awful and unexpected, but I am VERY grateful to God for taking him before we left, otherwise I would've missed getting to say goodbye. :tt1:

I'm on full/pureed liquids and am having NO trouble getting in all of my liquids on top of bowls of pureed soups/pastas etc. I was worried that I was eating too much actually, but my facilitator has given me all of the reassurance I need, and reminded me that this is the HEALING phase, not necessarily a LOSING phase. I have my first appointment with my local GP tomorrow and can't wait to tell her all about it and take her the xrays of the barium swallow :thumbup: (which are just super cool). She's very supportive in every way so I want to give her as much info as I can so she can help other patients. I think I am only her 3rd patient to have this done (it isn't available in my province all). Anyhow - before I ramble anymore, just wanted to letchyall know that I am OK, Tijuana was a really great experience for me and I'm here to answer any questions anyone might have about it.

GLAD TO BE A BANDSTER!! Stace:biggrin:

i had my band on the 20th. so far a pound a day has disappeared. the gas really got me pretty bad after a couple of days and past on the 6th day. they found some kind of hernia, guess i will know more when i go for my first appointment. i wondered if that is why i had such a hard time. the first night i thought, wow this is nothing! but i was wrong!

i walked the floors all that first night because i was warned about the gas. seems all is pouring right through me. they say its ok. i did go out today to the bank but felt kind of weak.

but i am down 15 pds! woo hoo!..just wanted you all to know i am still here and hangin'.

susan

Hello everyone,

i posted a while ago but not sure i put it in the August bandsters :cursing:

i was banded on the 20th, i walked the floors all that night trying to get the gas to move on out. they did find a hernia and took care of that. this is my 7th day so far. i am a little weak but am making it. i expected the incisions to me kind of scattered all over but they are all at the top of my tummy.

i had a bad few days with that gas but feel i am on my way now. i am 15 pds lighter as of today :huh2: woo hoo!

not sure what the hernia was, i guess i will find out on the 9th for my first fill.

i'm not really hungry. still on the liquids for now. i dream of eating though lol

anyways, just wanted to tell you all.

susan

hi malteselover! i too had a hernia repaired that i didn't know i had when i had my band done back on aug. 5th. they say the extra work they have to do does make you a little bit more uncomfortable and it may take you a bit longer to bounce back. i know i took my pain meds for four days after surgery. but it does get better. and you know everyone is different so don't base how you feel or what you should be doing by how others do. some folks have the surgery and feel wonderful the next day...people like me...well it took me the better part of a week to feel human again. so just take it slow and don't over do. i found that the more i walked around my small house the better i felt. so take care!!! the hard part really is over!! let us know how you are coming along! :smile2:

Hey saw my surgeon yesterday for the first time since surgery. He was on vacation in Israel for two weeks. The first week I did go in and see the NP. He told me yesterday that I had a hernia and they repaired it. Could be why it's taken me 3 weeks to feel back to normal. And why I had a bit more pain than most people seem to have.

He said it's quite common to have hernias when your overweight.

I can start more vigorous exercise now and riding my bike is fine. Just don't overdo it.

thank you both for replying to my messages. i wonder if our hernia's caused gas build up before surgery. i know i had taken nexium a few times trying to get rid of it. it use to wake me up, feeling like i was having a heart attack and have to take something and it would go away. were you both doing that too?

i hope that was it. it sure will be nice to be rid of it.

as far as the gas going away, i think it stays because of being hungry!:tt2: they told me to wait until week 3 to eat the mushies. i hope i can hold out. these protien shakes and Soup are getting really old. oh but the popcycles are nice :thumbup:

i managed to drive to the bank and go weigh myself yesterday. i feel a little more human.

but i am happy to be on my way now. hoping to get off the blood pressure med's soon. i know my little doggies are wondering when i am going to eat something they want again :eek: they are so much company and little loves :w00t:

it will sure be nice to be a normal size one day.

have a great day everyone!!

*hugs s

susan

aww...how sweet with your doggies. my kitties are wondering when i'm going to stop flinching when they jump near me on the bed. LOL

i hear you about being sick of Protein Shakes and such. but the time will fly. i'm a little over three weeks out now and back on solid food. it's been an experience i'll tell you that. oh and i agree about the popsicles. they're my lifesaver if my tummy starts to rumble later in the evening. they will always be in my freezer!

take care!! and we'll all get there...one day at a time! :tt2:

Hey everyone, just dropping in to update you on my progress. I am 10 days post op and just feel fantastic. I have lost 15 llbs which for me is great and have so much energy I can't believe it. I did suffer for about the first four days with the shoulder pain but thats much less frequent now, only when I overeat (drink I mean) or eat too quickly. Its certainly a re-education, I've had to really slow down with my soup/shakes. The ice lollies (I think these are your american popsicles) are absolute lifesavers, they are so cooling and are just the right size to fill me up for a little while when I'm peckish.

I went to the nurse for my staples out today and it was such a relief as I had an allergic reaction to the metal in them so my port site was starting to get a little infected. I now have some ointment and it drying up really quickly now those horrid staples have gone!

Lots of people have started to notice I'm losing weight already and my jeans are hanging down my backside (not a pleasant sight believe me) Ah well I guess that means a shopping trip soon for some new ones hey......this band business is really hard work (tee hee):lol:

Best wishes to all xxxx

Hey everyone, just dropping in to update you on my progress. I am 10 days post op and just feel fantastic. I have lost 15 llbs which for me is great and have so much energy I can't believe it. I did suffer for about the first four days with the shoulder pain but thats much less frequent now, only when I overeat (drink I mean) or eat too quickly. Its certainly a re-education, I've had to really slow down with my soup/shakes. The ice lollies (I think these are your american popsicles) are absolute lifesavers, they are so cooling and are just the right size to fill me up for a little while when I'm peckish.

I went to the nurse for my staples out today and it was such a relief as I had an allergic reaction to the metal in them so my port site was starting to get a little infected. I now have some ointment and it drying up really quickly now those horrid staples have gone!

Lots of people have started to notice I'm losing weight already and my jeans are hanging down my backside (not a pleasant sight believe me) Ah well I guess that means a shopping trip soon for some new ones hey......this band business is really hard work (tee hee):biggrin:

Best wishes to all xxxx

Congrats on your success! I can wait until I HAVE TO buy new clothes.:rolleyes: Even being fat I'm quite the shopper! Well I do HAVE to buy some new bra's all the weight I have lost has come from my chest! And my cups are to big now!!LOL