Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I used to blame my gas on my poor diet and high meat consumption. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that it got WORSE not better after banding and switching to a much healthier diet. I did a little research and discovered that one main cause is a high-fibre diet. I had been getting some Constipation issues and really pushed the fibre in my diet in an effort to control that, but found that I ended up with really awful gas, especially in the evenings. I've cut right back on the baked Beans and prunes, which were great for constipation but not so great if you don't want to fart like a steam train! Luckily mine is all noise and very little odor.

Info:

flatulence refers to the passage of gastrointestinal gas (flatus) under pressure via the rectum and anus (back passage). In colloquial terms this is referred to as 'farting.' Excess gastrointestinal gas is most commonly caused by air-swallowing (aerophagia) which occurs in patients who ingest food too quickly or are overly anxious. Rarely flatulence may be secondary to a serious underlying gastrointestinal disorder so it is worth having this symptom investigated by a doctor. In addition, flatulence can be a potentially embarrassing disorder and be quite socially disabling for patients. Management concentrates on lifestyle measures as drug treatments have shown little benefit to date.

Definition

Flatulence is the release of a mixture of gases (flatus) from the rectum under pressure. Flatus consists of methane, nitrogen, hydrogen and carbon dioxide gases and is often accompanied by a sound and smell. The ratio of the constituent gases varies depending on your diet which subsequently alters the odour of the flatus. Normally flatus is passed 10-20 times per day, equating to 400-1300 mL of gas passed via the rectum. However, the normal amounts of flatus varies largely between people so it is more important to take note of changes in the amount and other associated symptoms such as belching (which is the passage of gastrointestinal gas via the mouth, commonly referred to as 'burping') and abdominal bloating.

You may therefore notice you have flatulence due to the following symptoms:

• Passing wind often
  • Smelly flatus
  • Loud flatus
  • Abdominal distension and discomfort
  • Rumblings in the lower abdomen.

Causes

Production of intestinal gas is a normal part of the digestive process caused by reactions of enzymes and the breakdown of food by bacteria. Normally most of this gas produced will be reabsorbed and enter the bloodstream. However, if a large amount is produced it will remain in the intestines and travel along to be later expelled. The following conditions may lead to an increase in gas expulsion:

• Air swallowing- A small amount of air is normally swallowed when you eat or drink. If you eat quickly, gulp foods, drink through straws or chew gum you may swallow increases amounts of gas. In addition, anxiety can cause excessive air swallowing. Air swallowing is the most common cause of flatulence.
  • High-fibre diets- Fibre is difficult to breakdown in the intestine. This leads to bacteria in the colon working overtime to further digest food. These bacteria are one of the key sources of gas leading to flatulence. Common high fibre foods such as bread, are imaged below.
    1034_bed.jpg

• Irritable bowel syndrome- Patients with this disorder have alternating episodes of constipation and diarrhoea which are often accompanied by flatulence and bloating.
  • Lactose intolerance- Inability to absorb the sugars present in milk leads to gas production as these have to be broken down by bacteria via the process of fermentation. Dairy foods such as milk, cheese and cream (displayed below) can exacerbate symptoms as they contain a high concentration of lactose.
    1033_dairy.jpg

• Medications- Some antibiotics and other drugs can cause flatulence.
    908_pills.jpg

• Rarely flatulence may be a symptom of a serious underlying disease such as coeliac disease or pancreatic insufficiency which can lead to malnutrition

Well Fanny,

This part way explains my now much LOUDER LONGER "farts".

As I am now eating less food and more fibre as a % of my reduced total intake.

Luckily the % of my farts that have an unpleasant odour (as judged by my partner) are far fewer now than prior to banding. If only I could put a cork in "it" when we go to bed at night.

What else can I say except sit back raise a cheek and enjoy!!!!!!!!!;)

No one prepared me for how much gas I would have post band. I also discovered I am lactose intolerant and guess what, the full liquid diet is full of lactose,yikes! My GI system feels completely out of whack, gas, diarrhea at times and hunger pains when I least expect them. I wish this would have been brought up in the preband meetings, I did inform the leader it wouldn't be a bad idea to inform others of these side effects. Banded 09/11/08.

No one prepared me for how much gas I would have post band. I also discovered I am lactose intolerant and guess what, the full liquid diet is full of lactose,yikes! My GI system feels completely out of whack, gas, diarrhea at times and hunger pains when I least expect them. I wish this would have been brought up in the preband meetings, I did inform the leader it wouldn't be a bad idea to inform others of these side effects. Banded 09/11/08.

Your problems will most likely become less in a month or two.

Thanx long2bfree, I hope your right, these problems are making it difficult to get thru the work day, I end up uncomfortable almost daily.

My first fill is scheduled for Oct 22.

Wow - -this is a really old post I found! But it seems to be a common problem with lap band patients. I belch and fart from dusk to dawn. I am 5 months post op and it isn't getting any better. It actually got REALLY bad after my 2nd fill.

Anybody found anything to help stop these pesky problems?

I am not consuming milk - -only soy and greek yogurt so it shouldn't be lactose intolerance.

The belching and passing of gas is OUT OF CONTROL!!! (LOL)

Beware of sugar free items containing sorbitol! I had a little sugar free ice cream last night and I'm sure the neighbors thought I was practicing a trumpet!

I also was very happy to see this post...lol. I just had surgery on July 28th, and I have always been gassy, but now...my goodness! Its worse than ever.

I had heard that the Protein Shakes cause alot of gas, is that true?

So glad I'm not alone in this one... my SO teases me that I sound like something from Jurrasic Park! :thumbup: I'm 8 months out and still gasing, burping, belching, stomach gurgling away...

So, does this gas ever go away, or is it just something I have to live with?

In the beginning you can expect that gas feeling and if you try to hold it in, it will hurt! After a while, your body will adjust and things will hopefully settle down. You can try a probiotic and see if that helps. I bought one by Bariatric Advantage from Amazon.com and it seemed to help me get things under control. I think it is important to watch your dairy and bread intake, that seemed to affect me. Good luck!

I was banded 7/21 and still have the gas... I think they say this is normal for several weeks following the surgery. I'm just glad it is no longer trapped. LOL

Thank you Stewart. Im still on the liquid faze of my surgery. So the gas im having is not from bread or dairy.

I see my surgeon on the 10th, and im hoping he will say its ok to try and eat then.

Im hoping this stops soon, if not, I may try that beano. Has anyone tried that and if so, did it help?

I appreciate all of the advise, support and friendship I have gotten since I joined here last week.

Thank you all

Hugs

Annie

I was banded on April 14th, 2010 and OMG!!!...... I have gas extremely bad. I am sooo toxic. I feel like I am a hazard to myself. LOL!!!:party: