Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Butterflies Master Thread

Good luck to everyone being banded this week. You will be fine, special positive thoughts and vibes going your way.

I am so excited! As you may remember, my lap band surgery was Wednesday July 16. I weighed in at 196.5 right before surgery. Post op day one I experienced dry heaves (related to pain meds), I questioned what I had done to myself. I got my answer! It was the best decision ever!

Today is Sunday July 20th. Last night we went to a wedding that included a sit down dinner and a COOKIE BAR not to mention the open bar! Of course being 3 days post op, I didn't know what to expect. I was amazed at the large quantities of food. i wasn't anything I wouldn't have completely shoved in my mouth before; but it looked so overwelming. I played with the salad but didn't eat it. Then for the entrie - it was this huge paste chicken plate. There was no way to hide my not eating it from our friends. My husband went to the kitchen and came back with some mashed potatoes. I was so tocuched by his efforts. I gave him a kiss and everyone at the table said a kiss for potatoes! I ate a couple bite and felt completely satsfied. I told our friend about the surgery and they were very supportive. Matter of fact, they asked if they could have some of my potatoes.

This morning I weighed in at 189.2!!!!!!! New numbers, I feel fabulous, and I couldn't be happier.

I plan to take my dog for a walk this evening and feel good enough to go back to work tomorrow.

If you haven't had your surgery yet; you are in for the greatest gift of you life. Enjoy the ride.

Have a super day everyone!!!!! Lynn

weight.png

Lap Band July 16, 2008

Dr. Choban, Columbus, Ohio

user_online.gifreport.gif

lynlynkr, 3 days out and you can already eat? my Doc has me doing 1 wk Clear Liquids, and 1 wk reg liqiuids, then mushies. He says it's to let everything heal. i've already done my pre-op liquid diet with one more day to go, It's been hard but I surprised myself. anyway good luck to you, can't wait to be on your side of it.

Hi. I was also banded July 8th, and I am a school teacher. Also, I have a two year old. I am doing pretty well. How are you?

This is day 12 post-op and I feel really great. Large incision still pulls and pinches a bit, but am surprised that every day it gets better. I don't have any little children to tend ( just grandkids that want to know how Grammy's boo boo's are today) or any dogs to walk. So it's just me drinking the liquids and healing. I have to start school on August 7th and I believe I will be ready to go back to work.

good luck to all going in tomarrow. boos02, clayverde, gpanderson(and dad). My surgery is for 7:30. I have to be at the hospital at 6, we need to leave the house by 5. ((sigh)), long day ahead. I'm getting more nervous by the minute.

Tina

Thanks Kimaly for the well wishes. I'm so nervous. I don't know about anyone else, but my emotions are going all over the place. Is this the right thing? Am I willing to risk giving up certain foods that might not agree with me? Should I tell people? Anyway, tomorrow morning at 7:30am is it!

Whoa, I really miss food. The weekend was hard to get through on Optifast but I made some Soups out of the free veges I can have. Can't stomach the Soup, bars are okay and the shakes... well I can tolerate them. Only 10 days to go until surgery day on July 31. Anyone else got the Optifast blues???:thumbup: Still, this is the first stage of the big journey so I'm trying to stay positive. Cheers, Mel

Good luck everyone. Also, if you are in the Optifast blues, it is going to be sooo worth your efforts. Every drink is a step closer.

Thanks for the concern and you are right, I am suppose to be liquids only for two weeks. I didn't eat 3 days post op really. I had mashed potatoes that sat in my mouth until they were liquid. It was about 1/4 cup. I would never jepardise my lap band success. I really had no other choice. I did learn a lesson. (Bring your own food, just in case) I couldn't eat the wedding meal provided, but I felt weak (outside wedding 94 degreee heat). I had to get something in me. All in all, it worked out and we learned. Isn't that what this journey is all about learning to live thinner and healthier in a fat world?

And I'm so nervous I think I could cry. I have a high degree of anxiety just in my normal life (I can't help it, I'm just a high-strung individual and have been so my whole life) so something like this is crazy. Right now my mom is in town and we're at a hotel (the extended stay kind with a kitchen so we can keep my post op foods) and it seems like such a big deal, which of course it is.....I guess I just thought taking this final step would be easier.

It's the same feeling of anxiety that I get about airplanes. You know logically that you'll be fine but the "what ifs" are terrifying. Most people seem to be able to ignore the "what ifs" but me, I look at my pets and home as if for the last time (yes, every time I fly), and I was trying to not do that tonight but....yeah, it was in my mind. :ohmy:

Sigh, I just can't wait for all this to be over.

And I'm so nervous I think I could cry. I have a high degree of anxiety just in my normal life (I can't help it, I'm just a high-strung individual and have been so my whole life) so something like this is crazy. Right now my mom is in town and we're at a hotel (the extended stay kind with a kitchen so we can keep my post op foods) and it seems like such a big deal, which of course it is.....I guess I just thought taking this final step would be easier.

It's the same feeling of anxiety that I get about airplanes. You know logically that you'll be fine but the "what ifs" are terrifying. Most people seem to be able to ignore the "what ifs" but me, I look at my pets and home as if for the last time (yes, every time I fly), and I was trying to not do that tonight but....yeah, it was in my mind. :ohmy:

When they take you down for surgery tell them about your anxiety....they will give you something. They gave me something and I didn't even ask for it. They expect you to be anxious. Take care! I will pray for you. It will be all good.

It's the same feeling of anxiety that I get about airplanes. You know logically that you'll be fine but the "what ifs" are terrifying. Most people seem to be able to ignore the "what ifs" but me, I look at my pets and home as if for the last time (yes, every time I fly), and I was trying to not do that tonight but....yeah, it was in my mind. :crying:

I'm sending you lots of positive energy and vibes, sending you healing energy - imagine in a week you'll be telling us all how fabulously you are going! Take care, Melanie

Just wanted to let everyone know first off your all doing such a great job!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I was starting to think I wasnt going to be a July Butterfly BUT I got the call today and my surgery is scheduled for next Thursday July 31st. I am so excited and nervous at the same time!

Good Luck to all!:unsure:

Whoa, I really miss food. The weekend was hard to get through on Optifast but I made some Soups out of the free veges I can have. Can't stomach the Soup, bars are okay and the shakes... well I can tolerate them. Only 10 days to go until surgery day on July 31. Anyone else got the Optifast blues???:unsure: Still, this is the first stage of the big journey so I'm trying to stay positive. Cheers, Mel

Mel, I'm on day 6 of Optifast and finally it's getting easier.

Now, about those soups: They need a good bit of doctoring. Hit your herbs and spices and got to town. For the awful chicken soup, I add poultry seasoning, thyme, garlic powder, and even a little Molly McButter last time. I got some low salt low fat chicken broth and mixed that in, too. At 5 calories per cup it can't be too wicked. LOL I like the Tomato Soup better. I add garlic, oregano and basil, or chili powder, cumin, oregano and garlic... Next time I may try adding some beef broth.

Disgusting as they may be, I find the warm soups comforting and I feel fuller with them than the drinks sometimes.

Now as for the drinks, I use my magic bullet type blender and whiz them with crushed ice and DaVinci sugar free syrups. I love the vanilla with the chai! chocolate is good with toasted hazelnut and or English Toffee. Or raspberry.

The chocolate bar is simply vile. I take a bite, chew it and wash it down with Water as quickly as possible. LOL

The only thing that kept me going the first few days was telling myself, "Could you do this if your life (or your kids' life) depended on it? Then you can do it!"

Hope this helps.

Orea

BTW, count your blessings! I am not even allowed veggies of any sort. I asked if I might have a plate of steamed green Beans and the answer was no.

I'd almost kill for some veggies about now...:unsure:

Orea

:wub:Congratulations to all you July bandsters! My name is Angie and I am a 33 year old mother of three. I am a hairstylist, and I have a supportive husband(well as supportive as u can be at 144lbs. his whole life & can eat absolutely anything!). I have been overweight for 15 years and can only drop 10-15lbs. max. I finally recently found out I have pcos, insulin resistance,& metabolic syndrome. I prayed hard and finally decided I am worth it and I don't care what anyone thinks. I know I have tried and it's O.K. to need some help. I feel great, I have lost 16lbs. in 2 and a half weeks. I am so happy about this decision, it is great to have some people to relate to! Stay strong and LOL to U all! I forgot to add my surgery was 7/15/08 in Cincinnati. OH.

Edited by HAIR1234
forgot to add surgery date