Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Ahhhh!!!! Twice now the Nike+ has messed up! First during my race last week, and then again today. First it wouldn't play the music, but was calculating the distance, so I kept it on. Then when I went to sync it, the run didn't register and then it wouldn't play music. Now its playing music again, but not sure if it will work next time! Very frustrating!

Oh well... I did about 4k at the park, but I wore too much and overheated. As I was running, one of my old work colleauges was walking in the opposite direction. She knows I'm running now, but hasn't seen me for about a year (and about 65lbs ago) That was fun!!!

hi everyone i am amazed at how much yall can run i run for 2 minutes and thats it im out of breath i would love to some day say i did it two. i would appreciate ideas on how to get to that level of exercise,thanks and keep inspiring the rest of us.

Hey Lips...

U and i have chatted in the chat room. since you said u can run for 2 mins, u can start this program any time. Here's the link that Kathybad sent me. Caution: the music is horrid, but motivating. the link also lets u print out the written outline of the intervals if you click on the triangle to the left of the tracks. Podrunner: Intervals - Free Workout Music for 5K Training. Thats how i started. Now, I was totally out of shape and my endurance was very low when i began. It's gotten much better thanks to the podcast and the support ive gotten here and in the chat. I do more than the 3 recommended days of each week, but i do rest a day (sometimes 2 - but no more than 2) in between runs to build stamina and endurance.

Im by no means an expert. Mac, Kathy Renewed and Whosya are by far more experienced runners than me, but if i can help i'll be glad to. I can be a cheerleader, or even kick (virtual) butt when needed. I hope you start the program, and if u see me in the chat let me know if you do! Bottom line: DO NOT WAIT. DO IT NOW, YOU WONT REGRET IT!

Best of luck,

Carol

Ahhhh!!!! Twice now the Nike+ has messed up! First during my race last week, and then again today. First it wouldn't play the music, but was calculating the distance, so I kept it on. Then when I went to sync it, the run didn't register and then it wouldn't play music. Now its playing music again, but not sure if it will work next time! Very frustrating!

Kathy, have you tried resetting it? I don't remember exactly, but I think it is hold the center and menu button at the same time till the apple appears (you can google it to be sure). Any time mine is acting goofy, that fixes it.

I am finally getting back in my groove after my gallbladder removal, the last two to three runs haven't been a struggle like the first few after surgery were. So, needless to say I am happy...now to just wait on the 27th to get cleared for strength training again (and a fill)!

BTW, I finally hit 70 pounds lost, in the 8.5 months since my surgery!! Since my complete unfill, I have been bouncing around with the same darn 5 pounds!

thatDEgirl - RUNNER+

I am finally getting back in my groove after my gallbladder removal, the last two to three runs haven't been a struggle like the first few after surgery were. So, needless to say I am happy...now to just wait on the 27th to get cleared for strength training again (and a fill)!

That's great!

We did an OWS today and then ran after. But I forgot to put on my Nike+ so I won't get credit for it!! :cool2: I ran for 40 min. so I'm thinking this was probably a 5k. But without the Nike+, I'm only guessing. Maybe I can use one of those map programs to figure it out.

Hi guys! I just started incorporating a little running in my daily walk this week. I can usually only go about 1 minute every five minutes during my first lap (4 laps around my college campus). I'm a little self conscious about running but I'm getting over that. Any way, I've notice that I gain between a lb. or two whenever I do run or walk recently. I had to take some time off from exercising two weeks ago bc I had an upper respiratory infection. I dropped almost 10lbs in that week and a half and I was eating the same amount. So why am I gaining when I work out and losing when I don't? Is it too soon for me to start running and building muscle mass?

Ally... the body is such a mystery! Chances are when you run, you're building a little more muscle than before, so you might be losing fat, but replacing it with muscle. You'll know for sure if your clothes start fitting better, or if you have a body composition scale, it'll tell you your % body fat. Also, when you were sick, you probably dropped weight due to eating less and having more fluids. One caution about running... you will be more hungry, and its really really easy to justify that extra food because "I ran earlier". The challenge is to keep up the activity, but eat healthy.

Good luck, and no, its never too soon to incorporate running or any exercise into your program. You've done great so far... keep it up.

Good news: Last nite's run was the first time that week 4 didnt kick my butt to the point where i was questioning the wisdom of me doing the program. I was actually considering moving back to week 3 and staying there. but now........ i"ll do 2 more hopefully good strong (if slow) runs doing week 4 with more strength/endurance and move on to w5d1 as Kathy suggested. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to get to this point with week 4.

Carol - reminder to self: you started this, and you are doing it slowly and surely just like you planned! :smile:

TTYS friends

Carol

Hey guys!

I haven't been doing a lot of running, but I am staying active. Friday I did Zumba, Saturday I did the ellipitical and weights. Took Sunday off and did the Wii fit yesterday, since the weather was terrible here. I may do the Wii Fit again today, not sure yet...

Oh btw, I talked to Leslie2Lose the other day and she wanted me to tell all of you hey.

Hey back.

Ran over 5 miles today. Found out I got THIRD PLACE in the 2 week Nike+ challenge. Woot. woot.

I don't think I'll log any running during my race on Sunday. Too much work and there's a chance they'll see the iPod and disqualify me.

Ok, Mac another novice question here: Why would using an ipod disqualify you in a race?

I did not run last nite, hubby got home late and I hadnt gotten dinner together at a good time for the kids... excuses excuses. Anyway I got GREAT news last nite after work. Last week I saw my pcp for a check-up. Of course she had me do lab work. It was the first comprehensive lab panel I did since b4 the band. I have somewhat mixed results, but I really couldnt be happier!

My cholesterol was too high. Thats the bad news. It was 265 with the bad cholesterol at 185. So there's work to do there. Im going to try some natural herbs first because I do not want to go back onto statin drugs since Ive reacted badly to them b4. Couple theories about why it was so high: first a strong family history of heart probs - which was a large factor in why I decided to get banded in the first place. Also since Im concentrating on the Proteins I may be taking in too much red meat. Cant help it Im a carnivore. lol. But that can change.

Now for the good news!!! My a1c blood glucose test result was 5.7!!!!!!!!!!!!! What that means is that my diabetes is GONE! I took myself off the diabetes meds after the surgery. So the wt loss, and expecially the exercise has helped me beat it. According to what Ive read on the net and what the doc said anything under 7 is good anything under 6 is perfect! WOO HOO for me!

Word of pause here for me. This is not the destination, just a happy step in the journey I started when I walked into my Bari office the first time! I really want to thank all of you for the words of encouragement, But I especially want to thank Whosya. Thanks for the inspiration and support you gave me when I was trying to decide if I could do this running stuff or if I even wanted to. Its really something I feel successful and motivated to do, but I feel stronger with every step I take running/walking. So thanks again, Whosya, and best of luck on your first official 1/2 mary, saturday!

TC all,

Carol

Congrats, Slinky for beating the diabetes! That's so awesome! 4 members of my fam are diabetic, which is a big reason as to why I decided on the surgery.

I really want to do the Couch to 5k program! I'm only 22 days after my surgery date and I'm scared to start so quickly after my surgery. I sometimes have some "pulling" pain on my port side and that's my concern.

Any suggestions? Do you all think I should wait? I so want to start today! LOL.

Any suggestions? Do you all think I should wait? I so want to start today! LOL.

Goya, I think you should check with your Dr., first. Mine told me flat out no running or jumping for 30 days after my surgery.

Good luck! I'm in week 3 of the C25K, and i'm really enjoying the 'side effects' of running! LOL

Tkl

Hey Guys,

Well, I'm up to 35 mins running now, but still no where near 3.1 miles. :tt2: Last night, I warmed up for 5 mins, jogged for 35 mins, cool down 5 mins and still not at 3.1, I was at 2.8 or something, so I decided to keep walking until I reached 3.1 just to see how long it takes me. I'm embarassed to admit that including my 5 min warmup and cool down and the extra time walking to reach my distance, it took me 48.44 mins to go 3.1 miles. :)

My 5k is May 9, only 3 more weeks. I'm not ready! :thumbup:

Any words of wisdom, encouragement, tips?

You guys rock!