Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! This Liquid PreOp Diet is the Pits!

Does anyone know of anything besides Protein Drinks and skim milk that are allowed on the preop liquid diet? This is really old really fast since I don't care for either of the above. I've been using some sugar free Jello at night which seems to help somewhat. Is there any product out there that is actually edible? (In liquid, low fat, no sugar, high Protein form?) I am using sugar free syrups in the protein drinks which make them more or less tollerable. Help!

What about s/f popsicles? ((hugs)) to you. Hang in there, its will be over real soon!

Advant Edge & Body for Life drinks are both good and have 15 grams of Protein. I'm having one right now and it is yummy. They aren't gritty like the Protein Powder. They are very satisfying to the appetite too. Also slim fast has a new drink called Optima that has half the sugar of regular slim fast. Also try sugar free pudding mixed in with the protein powder...it hides the taste of the protein powder.< /p>

You can have any kind of strained Soups, flavored waters, tea's, coffee's, juices, popsicles, ice creams etc.... anything that would be liquid at room temperature. sugar free is better calorie wise, but not required for a general liquid diet. If your doctor stated sugar free, you should go with his recommendation. Good Luck, it'll be over soon and you'll be in bandlandia!

WHich prtoetin drinks are you drinking? I personally enjoyed the ready made Protein ddrinks in th can, Slim Fast has a high Protein Drink, Atkins Advantage is high in protein and Boost has a high protein drink, to me that all tasted great ice cold, it was like drinking chocolate milk. I could not find a protein powder that I liked, to me they all were horrible so I took the more expensive and easy route and bought the ready to drink cans. I did not have a pre op diet, I drank these during the liquid phase after surgery and after a fill.

I was put on Boost when I started my pre op and didn't like it. They let me change to Ensure and I loved them. Great flavor and no after taste. It becane tolerable when I found something I liked.

Hang in there...everyday you put behind you is one less you have in front. Goes by fast.

I am in the pre-op phase, I just finished all of the work-up today except my sleep study, which I do on Saturday night. Woo-hoo! I was told today to lose 5% of my weight before surgery, I was also told work out and burn 300 calories a day. Sooooo, I pigged out today, then I went to 24 hr fitness (yes, I have a membership that I never use) and burned 350 calories on the eliptical. The dietician gave me a simple diet plan to follow to lose weight, shrink the liver, and informed me that they will NOT do surgery if I haven't lost 14 pounds by surgery date and we are shooting for the first of June!!! Cross your fingers, I have a bachelorette party for my best friend in Vegas at the end of July, so I want to be feeling good by then! I am in her wedding September 4th, I am hoping for some serious adjustments to be made in the bridemaid dress come August. The dietician gave me a name of some Protein drink that you can order off the internet, but I can't find the piece of paper now, 4 hour appt. today, I seem to have forgotten everything except "lose 14 pounds and work out everyday." Typical of a fat person, only hear the worst! Good luck with the liquids.< /p>

Let me know if you find a good a good drink, I will need them soon!

Rena

Guest j. lynn

The liquid diet is good because it does shrink your liver (some doctors believe so anyway). It's good because it clears your system out of the solid food you've ate and gives your kidneys and liver a mini-break.

It's also good because it prepares your body to it when you are post-op. I think this is the biggest benefit. I had to do 6 weeks of liquids after surgery (large liver found in surgery). It was really tough - especially weeks 2&3, but so worth it! At my 6 week appointment, I'd gone from 288 lbs to 256 lbs....that's 32 pounds in 6 weeks. Granted, a good chunk of it was Water weight that HAD to come off anyway, but it was a great start to my weight loss!

It sucks. Stay strong. Stay away from food. Clear your house (if you can) of the stuff you can't have. Believe that this is all for your good.

I don't do Protein drinks, but when I was on my post-op liquid diet, I had 3 CIB drinks a day. Each is 20 grams of Protein and 230 calories. What I did was:

1 packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast (get the blue box -- no-sugar added)

1 cup skim milk

1/3 cup powdered milk.

Mix it all up and drink! I would have 1/2 of one every 2-3 hours during the day, for a total of 60 grams of protein, 690 calories. Since we can have more calories than that, I also had Soups, koolaid (sugar free), whatever.