Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein formula- how much each day, now?

When I went for my appt with the nutritionist, I was told based on my weight, etc. I needed to take in 77 grams of Protein a day while healing.

No one has told me to have less and my surgery was 8 weeks ago.

I know that SOMEWHERE I saw a formula for figuring out how much Protein I should have now that I'm over 40 pounds thinner. Just can't find it of course.

Does anyone know the formula to which I'm referring? It wasn't the .4% g/lb....it was a more complicated formula.

If anyone knows it, or if anyone weighs about 270 and was given an amount, that's what I'd go by.

Thanks very much.

Gween,

I saw this posted today. Looks like you're looking for this. Hope it helps and keep up the good work!

OK, so here it is. Now this isn't what my dtr told me but I read this in a book. "Living and Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery." Author Susan Maria Leach. ( Now she had GB, but the rules are still the same.) You may want to dble check with your dtr and make sure he's "on board" with this number. But this is what she writes in her book; "It is good nutrition for us to be able to rely on a daily Protein supplement of 25-50 grams and add to it with high-protein, low-fat and lower-carb foods. To determine the right amount of Protein for yourself: An active person needs around 1.25 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight. (1 kilogram equals 2.2 pounds) So we want to divide our goal weight by 2.2. Then we multiply that by 1.25. We use a person's ideal body weight to calculate protein targets because fat tissue does not need protein. So for example, a person weighing 247 pounds who exercises and has an ideal body weight of 145 would need 82 grams of protein daily to maintain muscle mass and good health.(145 divided by 2.2 pounds per kilograms then multiplied by 1.25 equals 82.3) Note that these figures are the recommended grams of protein needed for good nutrition and to keep muscles intact. We want to lose fat not muscle. Our vital organs are mad of muscle and need protein to function efficiently. So when we talk about 65-100 grams of protein a day, this is not a high-protein diet, it is a minimum fulfillment of or basic protein needs."

Hope this helps Susan:biggrin2:

Thanks so much. Knowing the "ideal" weight is the trick, isn't it?

I phoned the nutritionist at the surgeon's office and she told me I could eat a little less than the 77 originally given me, but not to go under 60. That's good, because there are days now and then when I just can't get it all in. But usually, there's no problem

Thanks again,

Thanks for the formula on calculating our daily Protein intake. What is the best way to determine my goal weight? I'm 5'6" and I've been over 250 pounds for at least 20 years, so I'm not sure what it should be at my age (54 tomorrow).