Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calgary Bandsters please help me

Hi, I making plans to be banded in Torono by Dr. Cobourn...and would like to arrange for a Calgary Doctor before I have the surgery.

can you guys reccomend the best doctor in Calgary for fills?

Plus, under the assumption that I might have complications, will this doctor be able to keep me alive and healthy? I know this is a funny quesion but these doctors are primarily surgeons, but I'd like to find the one that does an exception job at post surgery care.

Tyler

I am in a similar boat. Hoping to get banded inTO and I am in Calgary. My biggest concern is the post-op care and support in C-town. I jusr got news last week that my GP is closing and going to a new "FOR PROFIT" clinic so I am kind of stressed.

Dan

I believe this might be a complete list of the doctors working out of Calgary.

I've seen good things about Dr. Mitchell and Dr. Descoteaux on this forum. But would love to get some real insight from anyone that knows them.

Peter Lougheed Center

3500 - 26 Ave. N.E. Calgary, Alberta T1Y 6J4

Dr.Philip Mitchell, tel. 403-264-6720

Dr. Estifanos Debru, Tel. 403-291-8555

Dr. Jean Gaston Descoteaux, Tel. 403-220-8598

Dr. Neal Church, Tel. 604-875-4111

Dr. David C. W. Lau (endocrinologist) Tel. 403-220-2261

BTW, please don't Bash any of these doctors. Just compliments for the ones that you would like to compliment.

thank you

Tyler

I so did like Dr. Church,,,and fingers crossed he becomes my Dr when the time comes for me.

hope you find the right one for you Tyler and you too Dan...

please keep us informed.

Angie

Have just started my journey. I don't think I can bash anyone. I am dealing with LBSC in TO right now. So I am a ways off from needing to have a local doc. Just want my ducks in a row before I start.

Dan

hi Dan,,,

know what you mean,,,my ducks are marching pretty good right now...wish my time was here so I can then just keep going.

Angie

I love, love, love Dr. DesCoteaux. (no really :confused_smile:).

He has done 2 surgeries for me (emergency ileostomy and the lapband). He also got stuck with me being in hosptial for 2 weeks in the fall after I had some complications, so I feel I know him as well as I could know a surgeon.

He has always treated me with the utmost dignity and respect and is really encouraging (in a quiet way). He spends the time you need, and even if he is in a rush, he never projects that. I am sure he doesn't remember everything he is told, but I always feel very important to him. He is the most unsurgeony surgeon I have ever met (and I have had lots of surgery).

He has a very gentle touch - others write how they want to be "numbed" before a fill and I have to say, I don't even feel it when he does one for me, and last time my port had flipped so he had to work to find it!!!

I have also met with Dr. Church once for a second consult before surgery and I really liked him. I am not sure how involved he will continue to be in terms of follow-up, since I had the impression he is not as invested in the program as Dr. DesCoteaux and Dr. Mitchell. I have never actually read anywhere that he does private fills.

I have never met Dr. Mitchell, from what I have read people either really like him or really don't. I don't know anything about Dr. Debru.

The rumors I have been hearing is that Dr. Mitchell is trying to open a private lap band clinic in Calgary that would be associated with one the TO clinics. If it happens and you were banded in TO by that clinic, your fills would be covered here as well. I think it was Dr. Coburn, but I am not sure.

There is also a family doc in Calgary that does fills for one of the TO clinics, but his name escapes me. What I have read about him has been positive. You might want to search historically on this forum, because it would have been here that I read about him.

Thank you very much. That is wonderful information.

thanks

Tyler

I love, love, love Dr. DesCoteaux. (no really :confused_smile:).

He has done 2 surgeries for me (emergency ileostomy and the lapband). He also got stuck with me being in hosptial for 2 weeks in the fall after I had some complications, so I feel I know him as well as I could know a surgeon.

He has always treated me with the utmost dignity and respect and is really encouraging (in a quiet way). He spends the time you need, and even if he is in a rush, he never projects that. I am sure he doesn't remember everything he is told, but I always feel very important to him. He is the most unsurgeony surgeon I have ever met (and I have had lots of surgery).

He has a very gentle touch - others write how they want to be "numbed" before a fill and I have to say, I don't even feel it when he does one for me, and last time my port had flipped so he had to work to find it!!!

I have also met with Dr. Church once for a second consult before surgery and I really liked him. I am not sure how involved he will continue to be in terms of follow-up, since I had the impression he is not as invested in the program as Dr. DesCoteaux and Dr. Mitchell. I have never actually read anywhere that he does private fills.

I have never met Dr. Mitchell, from what I have read people either really like him or really don't. I don't know anything about Dr. Debru.

The rumors I have been hearing is that Dr. Mitchell is trying to open a private lap band clinic in Calgary that would be associated with one the TO clinics. If it happens and you were banded in TO by that clinic, your fills would be covered here as well. I think it was Dr. Coburn, but I am not sure.

There is also a family doc in Calgary that does fills for one of the TO clinics, but his name escapes me. What I have read about him has been positive. You might want to search historically on this forum, because it would have been here that I read about him.

One more thing, I've always assumed that the followup care is done by the surgeon, is that true?

What if I have problems with slippage or erosion would it be the surgeon that I go to when the symptems start,

or are their qualified physicians that could start the investigation then refer me to the lapband surgeon?

Hi Angie,

I was banded September 25, 2007 by Dr. DesCoteaux through the CHR Weight Management Clinic. Surgery was done at the Peter Lougheed Hospital. I was in hospital overnight - total stay just over 24 hours.

Tyler -

Having been banded in Calgary, I am not sure how complications work. If it is not an emergency, I would suspect that you might be asked to go thru your clinic, but if it were an emergency, I think Ab Health care has to help you. You do need to go to the Peter Lougheed though as that is the only hospital that deals with the band in Calgary. My understanding is that the 4 band surgeons rotate being on call for emergencies.

In terms of follow-up care, I go through my band surgeon, but if you are banded out of province you would need to arrange follow-up care. I would really recommend that you make those arrangements before getting banded as I have read about people not making arrangements and then having difficulty finding anyone to help them with fills after. I have heard from others who use Dr. DesCoteaux, but I am not sure if he does all follow-up care or just fills. Your best bet is to call his office.

As far as I know the doc whose name I don't know is the only family doc who is dealing with the band. You can of course go through your family doc, but he/she may not know what to look for. I think the first step when there are suspected problems is usually a x-ray under fluoroscope, which is a pretty standard test. Your family doc can order it and it gets read by experts (again go through Peter Lougheed because no-one else will know anything about the band).

Hi JJ, once again you have provided me with some wonderful answers. Thank you.

I'm planning on going to Dr. Cobourn. So I think I'll call his centre and see who he recommends in Calgary for follow up care. It sounds like Dr. Descoteaux or Dr Mitchell could be the way for me to go. Dr. Descoteaux sounds like a great doctor, but if Dr Mitchell is making steps towards a self-pay association to Dr. Cobourn, then maybe that is a good choice, too.

Moreover, I'm sure the other doctors in Calgary are quite good, too. I'm just trying to hedge my bets by using your referal information.

JJ, I was thinking that even though AHC is not about to refund me for my surgery expenses, it seems a bit unfair - possibly hypocritical - for AHC to deny me healthcare paid fills.

Is it possible for you to find out the billing codes that Dr. Descoteaux uses when his office bills for your fills? I would bet that with those codes and the willingness to fill out a lot of forms, that I might find that I'm eligable for re-imbursement of fills.

Thank you

Tyler

Edited by Tyler883

Wow, I just read your personal progress from the bottom of your messages. It is absolutely inspiring. That is the sort of reason why I want the surgery. I have a 3 1/2 year old son, and I feel that not doing something about my health now, might mean that I won't be around to see him graduate, or raise a family. I started this journey after meeting a woman that had bariatric surgery in the early 70s. It alowed her to treat her type 2 diabetes until 2002 without any medication. I'm getting emotional, so I'll have to say goodnite and thank you while I can.

regards

Tyler

Hi Tyler

Thanks for the compliments. I have worked very hard at this and am very proud of myself. I had been on diabetes medication for about 10 years, but have not taken anything for the last six months and my blood sugars (including 3 month averages) have been completely normal. I am also off my reflux medication. In fact, the only drug I take now (except for a Multivitamin and a Calcium supplement) is synthroid for my under active thyroid. I just had my blood work done, and all my levels are "normal". YEAH!!!!!!

Someone else I had contact with who was banded privately sees Dr. DesCoteaux and said a while back that he was trying to get coverage for fills for those that had been banded privately. I don't know what happened with that though - as far as I know he hasn't been successful. I think you should contact his office - they might know more. In terms of Ab. health care - I know it sucks, but I am not sure there is anything you can do about it. I know you can claim your expenses on your taxes (other people have posted about it on this forum), but you never get back dollar for dollar what you spent.

I wish you all the luck and success in the world Tyler. Reach out and grasp for what you want and need. Just be prepared for the journey and know that it isn't an easy way to lose weight, but at least to me, it was totally worth it :redface:

Thanks JJ,

I'm kinda down in the dumps today. Ingle insurance ( referred by the canadian diabetes association) called me today, and told me that they could not find any insurance company that wants to insure me or my wife. I am 370lbs with co-morbidities, and my wife is 270 with no co-morbidities. We are both 'too heavy'.

Next year, I turn 40 which means I will be eligable for one of those 'no questions asked' plans, but the coverage is often very low. I was looking a plan that was only a mere $14,000.

I'd like to have a combined coverage of about $400k-$600k if both my wife and I were to die in a car accident, and my son was left with family.

Also, I'd like to have some term insurance in place for the surgery. Any chance that I might find a bank that is pretty casual about term insurance ?

rgds

Tyler