Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you feel like a "normal" person ?

Although I am not at goal yet, I am down 120 lbs since being banded a bit more then 10 months ago and 155 lbs since being at my all time heaviest.I KNOW that I can get the last 50 pounds off even though it is getting harder to do.

I have gone from being a tight size 30/32 to a loose size 14

<< regular fat >>. There is a palpable difference in how people treat me. Yet still I don't feel "normal". In the past when I lost a lot of weight 135 lbs on my own it was so gradual that my head really had a chance to catch up with my body.

What can I do to help my head catch up with my body ?

Lisa,

Thanks this was so encouraging to read about your weightloss success. It gives me hope in my future and where I want to be next year - keep up the good work. Everyone has a image about others, but what is beautiful you keep the new image of yourself and you can move mountains with the new you!

I felt normal when my trainer told me not to check the extra lbs box when I told him I was going to put up a profile at match.com. He said I am definitely average. That was a good feeling. I trust his judgement.

I know a lot of those at goal still have trouble with body images. sometimes I look in the mirror and think I can't believe it's me.

Yep I'm with Denise on this one. I still feel like the fat girl most of the time, and when I catch a glimse of myself in a window or mirror as I walk past I sometimes do a double take because I don't recognise the reflection.

I've posted about this a couple of times on my blog .I don't even know if I will feel normal when I get to my goal (soon hopefully). I don't know what it is that WILL make me feel that way. For a while I thought plastic surgery would help. You know, to clean up the "mess", but now I don't think even that would do it.

This is a tricky one. And one I think we all just have to deal with and work through in our own time. Unfortunately from all the soul searching and pondering I have done on this, there doesn't seem to be a quick fix, for me at least.

I'm only 10-15 lbs from my goal, down some 100 in just over a year. I fit in a 34 waist jean, medium shirt. I -still- think of myself as fat. When I see news reports about obesity in America, I identify with the MO crowd.

I'm not sure what will finally fix this. I know my current discomfort lies in unrealistic expectations and media images (ever seen a cover of "Men's Health"?), but I'm not sure what the next step is.

I too blog, and belong to a WLS group over at livejournal. This apparently isn't an uncommon issue at all. Most recommend therapy, but I don't think a normal counselor would do. You'd almost have to find one that specializes in post-obesity trama.

Good luck!

You know Manatee, you mention of covers of Men's Health......brings to mind pictures in womens mags. I KNOWKNOWKNOW they are retouched, fixed etc....but I see women that look AMAZING (ie my brothers current gf) in real life and I know that I could be a million

percent on what I am......

So yeah, I hear you, loud and clear on that one!!!!!!

(goes to look at your blog :lol:

Don't expect too much from my blog -- it's only about the weight loss, not the rest of my life. Mostly "got a fill, too tight, loosen, repeat" with the occasional rant and ramble about this process :lol:

Thanks for the responses ! I'm glad to see that this isn't unusual. When I had lost a lot of weight before in my late teens I was just so happy to finally be at goal. Even though I still have a bit to go now I can't believe how well people are treating me, especially since I really don't see what they see.

I am going to check out your blogs

A quick reply... I sometimes wonder myself what "normal " is. I had my band in April of 2006 and have lost 100+ lbs. It seems that I can gain and lose the same 6 to 8 lbs , not more than that and I sometimes think that maybe that is normal. Afterall define "normal" . I was told that at some point we just have to be happy and accept our accomplishments with the band and realize that we have accomplished a ton and look back on this at a really big adventure. Maybe it never will be "normal" but what an accomplishment this weight loss really is for all of us.:smile:

The one thing that has made me feel more normal is that I really do enjoy exercise now. I love doing my weight routine and watching in the mirrors at the gym. I used to hate mirrors. I can see my muscles working in those mirrors.

Having a guy tell me I have a sexy butt was a big help in the feeling normal too:biggrin::P

I went out with a friend a few weeks ago. She is one of the few slender friends I have. We walked into the local bar.... as I nervously looked around and fiddled with my wedding band she looked at me and laughed. I said what is so funny. She replied, "I know what you are thinking." What? Ya you think they are looking at you because you think you are the largest woman in the bar. I smiled and said how did you know. She laughed again. They are not looking at you like that... they don't know who you are. You have lost over 100 pounds and you do not look like the same woman. You are one of the smaller woman in the bar.

I looked around and she was right. The lightbulb went off! Now I think I am normal most of the time.

It's kind of freaky.......... I see slacks laying on the bed ready to be pressed and I think.... WHO DO THOSE BELONG TO???? and then I remember......... they are mine.

That is such a great picture! All of you look so happy. After all, who isn't happy in bandland!

There are a couple of moments that made me feel "normal" as you said. I am 14 pund away from my goal, right now I weight 144 pounds.

The first time was at my brothers house, my sister in law (she is tall and thin) asked me to go out with her to some party from work, since my brother had to stay and babysit the kids and she didn't want to go alone, but I told her I was not dressed for the occasion. She told me to grab a pair of jeans and a top from her closet. I was like "you are soooo crazy", until I put on the jeans and they FIT !!!, that was a great, great revelation for me.

And basically there are little moments like that. Last saturday I was at a friends birthday party and there was one guy just looking at my direction and I was totally sure he was looking at my friend (because you know, sometimes I think I'm still a fat woman), until he came to us and started talking to me and asked me to dance.

Also going to a store and asking for a shirt two or three sizes bigger only to realize in the dressing room that the shirt is too big.