Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens when the band is full?

From what I understand, when a person reaches a plateau he/she goes to their doctor for a fill. What happens when the band is full and you haven't lost all your weight or you have reached your goal but your stomach adjusts and you are able to eat more after a time? I don't completely understand.

I don't believe anyone gets their band filled to its capacity- you wouldn't even be able to get Water down if you did. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I have wondered too. Does some of the Fluid evaporate or something?? I read somewhere on here where someone actually had more than what their band was supposed to hold in it. I guess it depends on the band and where it is placed?

I do believe after a long period of time the Fluid does evaporate, and I have also read that some bands may hold more than it actually say they should hold.. but I have my first apt. on this thursday and I am going to ask..

bands will hold more than their official capacity. Some people DO have theirs filled past capacity - it has a lot to do with placement of the band and people's internal anatomy, I have 3.2 in a 4cc band for example and can still eat bread, whereas the next person PB's everything at 2cc. We're all different.

As you lose weight, you lose fat around your stomach and the band gets looser, you also get small amounts of evaporation.

On the way up, smaller and smaller fills are needed for more restriction - I had a fill of 1cc for my very first, I can guarantee you now that 0.1cc would be very noticeable to me. Just as on the way down, you may lose 40lb and not find your band loosens, my band loosened considerably over the past year from a 15lb loss.

There have been people here full to capacity without great restriction - in that case either something is wrong, or you are going to have to either learn to work with what you have or consider another surgery.

U know that's why I love this site.. because there is so much excellent information on here... Thanks....

I was just banded on 6/13/08, and I know that it sounds early to be complaining and all, but I have no restriction. It felt really tight when I left the surgery center, I think it was more of the pain of the surgery than anything, but I can eat what I want. I was able to drink the 8oz. Protein drink the following day with no problem. My husband was banded on the 6th of June, just one week before me and he had trouble drinking or eating anything. His band was filled with 1.5cc, and mine was filled with 5cc. I asked my doctor that when I was at the surgery center and called back and confirmed it. I haven't started eating everything in sight, but I just drink my drinks and eat pudding as I please.

Right about now, I think it's more mind over matter, but I am afraid that since I don't feel any restriction, one of those darn commercials will cause me to succumb to temptation and eat some chicken strips from Popeye's or pizza or something. I'm not hungry, but I think it's just the excitement from having it, plus having to pay cash $15k each that is keeping me from eating.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, jlg

I have read on here where people actually have more than their band capacity put into their bands in order to get enough restriction. I think it depends on the person, everyone seems to have a different 'sweet spot'

Right.. my doctor put a 10cc band in me but said it can actually be filled up more than that if need be. i believe he said it could hold 12cc if I needed it, but he felt I wouldn't. I'm at my sweetspot right now and my fill center said that from here on out I'll only need .1-.4cc per fill.. because I was scared I would keep getting 1-2cc every time I went (as that was what I was getting), but after the third fill she said that would be my last big fill and she was right the two fills after that were .2cc and .4cc.

one of those darn commercials will cause me to succumb to temptation and eat some chicken strips from Popeye's or pizza or something.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, jlg

Those commercials will not cause you to succumb. YOU will cause you to succumb. If the commercials are hard for you, then turn off the tv and read or sew or whatever . . . It's up to you.