Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you're researching lapband, you should know. . .

Kat,

I purposely named the thread like so many of the ones warning people of the dangers ahead so those who are into reading those posts might come across this one. Thanks for adding your success story as well. There are a lot of us out there.

For everyone reading, I did want to say that my weight loss has been faster than many of my band friends who are of a similar time frame, so don't necessarily expect the same results. One factor was that I started at a BMI of 46, so as far as I understand weight tends to come off quicker for us bigger folks.

Band and fills: Every body is different and your mileage will vary, but I have a 10 cc band and I think I have 7 ccs in it. I have had two fills. I'm still doing fine from my second one two months ago, so I'm not planning on having another one until my weight loss stops for at least three weeks.

Another thing I wanted to add to the list in my first post:

• I am able to eat more than just a couple of bites before getting full. I feel like I'm able to eat a healthy amount of food and my weight is still coming off.

This too has made my day and I love hearing these journies..

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your accomplishments .

It just makes me get excited again ...

Great thread!!!

Reading your post - it could have easily been my own!!

Here's a little more inspiration for everyone - this is a cut & paste from the Aug '07 forum that I made today:

I made it to my [original] goal today!

I still want to lose another 15-20lbs so the work continues but I am beyond thrilled with my Lap Band experience! I started by pre-op diet on 8/16/07 - never did I think I would be able to lose 120lbs in less than 10 months! If *I* can do it – anyone can!!

I run 2 miles per day and I eat a balanced, healthy diet. I TRY to stick with whole foods, staying away from pre-packaged stuff and going out to eat. (my BIG weakness!)

I've been very lucky with the band. I've only had one fill of 2cc's in a 10cc APS band. I've never felt my band or any sense of restriction or had to change my physical eating style. Since I haven't really had any issues with hunger and I've lost very steadily, I agree with my doctor's policy not to fill my band. Maybe there is something to the theory that the band placement alone is enough for some people?

The "easy" part is over, now for the real work. Maintaining ...

Next stop – plastic surgery. I’m starting consults this summer. I’m going to jump thru the insurance hoops and hopefully they will cover part of my Tummy Tuck, which I would qualify for at 18 months out from WLS.

Thanks for all the support, great information and advice that this forum has to offer.

wow! you look beautiful! i am only 3 weeks out and am praying for the same results. congrats!!!

I came across your quote and wondered how you are doing now. I just posted something but was browsing the site and read yours. Are you still doing well

Joan

All of the newer bands are larger. It is less stress on the stomach my Dr. said. If you think about it, it makes sense. I understand it does take a bit longer to get to proper fill level, but if it is safer, it is well worth it!! Mine is the old Inamed band, but it works for me, and I am not talking bad about it!!

As for my Tummy Tuck, yes it was covered by insurance, because it was deemed a medical necessity, due to skin tears under the apron of skin, and I had a long history of documentation with problems concerning it.

I think your latest addition, concerning eating more than a couple of bites is very important. I agree eating a healthy, normal amount of food is key! I have always been able to eat....when someone is full off of 2 bites, I would consider that too tight, and you are not getting enough nutrition to support your body. I know we are using restriction as a method of weight reduction, but if you cannot eat healthy amounts or eat healthy foods, then, the weight you are losing is not a healthy weight loss. Our body requires food to fuel it to operate --- what we choose to feed it, makes a huge difference!! You would have thought I would have figured that out years ago!!!!

Better Late than Never!

Kat

I was expecting one of those "I had LB, and it sucks" kind of posts, so it was great to read about someone who is doing so well. You're an inspiration!

When I went to have my first fill, my doctor looked at my file and read his notes...he basically had several sizes of bands to choose from based on the size of the stomach. My stomach was "in-between" two band sizes. I'm not sure if weight coorelates to stomach size but i was 319lbs with a realtively small (as he put it) stomach. He chose the smaller band for me because it meant less fills down road (seemed odd since thats money out of his pocket but thats make me trust that he has my best interest at heart). He put in the smaller band with hopes that I would only need maybe 1 or 2 fills. He said it was unlikely that I would need more than one fill.

Even with a small band and no fill, I don't get stuck and having PBed yet.

He then looked at my weightloss which was roughly a pound a day since surgery and asked me if I felt full when I ate and gauged my hunger. I felt full from small amounts and the proof was in the weight loss...so no fill on the first fill visit and I haven't been to my second fill visit yet but I'm still losing roughly a pound a day.

I'm glad I have the smaller band and may only need one fill.

Edited by Eat2Live

Hi all,

Shiny and Kat, I was SO glad to read from you both about eating more than a few bites at a time! I've read so many posts where people are stuffed from 2 or 3 bites that I was wondering what in the heck was wrong with me! I eat a lot more than that! Thanks for calming my fears!

Robin

Can anyone answer for me - I just had my first fill yesterday (up to 4 ccs) and since then I have been experiencing a lot of burping!! No discomfort just some unexpected burps - has anyone else experienced this? Occassionally I feel a light restriction but other times no difference. I am continuing to lose which is good and I go back for another fill July 1. Whoops! There goes another one - excuse me!! Guess it is better from this end than the other............. 8-)

I haven't experienced it, but there are numerous threads around here about that very topic. I've actually decreased the amount of burping and farting I do significantly since being banded.

burping__think of it as a funnel effect.. Water (or food, I find I burp more with water/liquid) goes in sits at the top of the stomach, as it goes down it funnels causing air to pass up from the "bottom" stomach to the "top" stomach causing more air. This is how I know I have restriction. Sometime I let out really long and deep burps, really impresses my 10 and 7yr olds!!

What a great post! Your experience has been very much like mine. I've also lost 66 lbs and my BMI has gone down 11 points. I feel very fortunate that I haven't found any foods that I can't eat and I have had a very smooth road so far. For quite a while I thought something was wrong with me because I could eat a small healthy sized meal, but I realize that is the best for my body and health.

Thanks MENDY - that really makes sense - sometimes I am so close to the symptom I can't really think through it properly!! I find that it is much more common with liquid as well. You are a genuis!! 8-)

Thanks!! Love being called smart, but I have to give credit to my Dr Asstnt., she explained it to me. I don't mind the burping; but I don't like it when I'm cashiering at work...hard to supress until I can let it out!