Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you're researching lapband, you should know. . .

I lost 20lbs in one month, is it bad? I don't know, I don't feel bad I'm not hungry, I don't get hunger headaches, or cravings anymore, I don't feel weak.

My doctor did not seem to worried about it. I was very pleased. the frist couple of months was about 1-2 lbs a week. One month nothing. So I guess as long as you feel good it shouldn to matter.

Some more about why I love my band: I just got back from almost two weeks of vacation. I didn't eat completely out of control, but I did eat large amounts of what food was served to me. We also ate out several times. My vacation diet included high fat foods, white carbs and Desserts that I don't usually eat. I was nervous to weigh when I got home, and when I did, my weight was up and down for a couple of days. Well, three days after getting home and my weight is two pounds down from the day we left on vacation and at day four, it's the same. So basically I didn't lose anything on my trip (no brainer there), and now that I'm home and trying to eat better the weight is coming off again. I was scared that I would ruin what I had going by going on this vacation. I'm so happy to see that that's not the case.

That's wonderful! See, that's the kind of thing I'm hoping for with my band. I was telling DH yesterday that I'm so afraid of failing yet again. And this is so major to be having surgery. He said he was going to bug me and I couldn't get mad at him. I said okay. He also said, "you don't want to end up like Bill do you?" Answer, NO!!! Bill is my sister's husband and he had bypass and gained all of his weight back. My mom and sister did great with the bypass but he expected the surgery to do all the work, he didn't change his attitude about food or what he eats. I don't want to be like that.

Thanks for sharing your story. It helps. A lot.

I can totally relate to this! I went on vacation to Hawaii for a 10 days and enjoyed every minute of our time there. I came back and was actually two pounds down! It was the first time I have ever gone on vacation and not gained weight. I kept telling my husband during our trip - "this is the last time I come to Hawaii fat..." We go every year and I am looking forward to next year already!!!

Fabulous post, shinyhappymommy! It's good to see the positive stories coming back again. I think the positive/negative thing on the boards goes in waves but I much prefer the positive times!

My story is much the same - losing slowly but steadily, ecstatic with my progress which is right on plan, really enjoying eating small solid well balanced meals without huge struggles with hunger, had great support from everyone around me, haven't regretted my choice for a moment!

I can relate to your comment about not wanting to brag, too. Sometimes it feels like if you post about your successes, all you are doing for those who are struggling is rubbing their noses in it, so we refrain. But we need to remember that people are using this site to investigate their options and they want to hear the positives and the success stories too!

LOL, I love how you named your city, cause when I drive through there heading to Denver, that's exactly how I feel.

Your post is such an inspiration to me. I am still in the research stages. I live in Indianapolis, IN but contemplating surgery in Ohio because there seems to be much more support there for lap banders. I'm having trouble finding people with GREAT success stories about lap banding and positive experiences with Dr.'s here in Indy which concerns me. Keep up the GREAT work.

I thought I'd update some of these points I listed now that it's almost two months later. The green italicized text is new.

. . .about the miracle that it's been in my life.

I had Lapband surgery 4 months ago. (now 6) Here are some of the things that have happened as a result:

• I have lost 66 pounds. 81 now
  • My BMI has dropped over 10 points. 12.3 now.
  • My clothing size has gone from a 30/32 to an 18/20. That size is getting looser, but I still wear it.
  • I can cross my legs now. I do it all the time and love it.
  • I feel stronger as a person.
  • I am much more confident.
  • I have a different relationship with food. I honestly don't miss the junk food that I was mourning the loss of before I had my surgery. On occasion I will have a little bit of something and then find that it no longer appeals to me like it used to.
  • The post-op diet was hard at times, but nothing I couldn't handle with some planning and lots of reading around here.
  • I eat normally. I have yet to find a food I couldn't eat as long as I'm careful in my chewing. Still true.
  • I am rarely hungry.
  • I eat to fuel my body, not because I'm driven to by an insane hunger.
  • I wake up every morning grateful for the blessing that this surgery has been for me.
  • My friends and family have all been supportive. Every last person I have spoken to about my surgery has been positive, supportive and kind. Still true.
  • I want to cry when I look at my face in my before pictures. I didn't realize how lost I had become in my body/fat. I am almost giddy when I look at my current pictures because I see hope and happiness there. Giddy like a school girl!
  • My family is eating healthier because of my food habit changes.
  • My kids are proud of me.
  • My husband is proud of me and thrilled with the changes in me, both physically and emotionally.
  • I haven't uncovered any secret emotional reasons to why I overate. I'm still doing fine emotionally, in fact, I'm better than I've been in years. Still true.
  • I have hope for a very bright future because of the changes that having the Lapband has helped me to achieve.
  • I am able to eat more than just a couple of bites before getting full. I feel like I'm able to eat a healthy amount of food and my weight is still coming off.
  • I am no longer taking Nexium for heartburn. That was done within a couple of months. In fact, my only medication is my birth control.

• I went on vacation and didn't end up really gaining any weight, even though my eating wasn't that great.

• I still have only had 2 fills.

• I have finally started exercising regularly and am feeling great doing it.

• I enjoy treats in moderation. I eat them in small amounts and try not to make it very often. Instead of absent-mindedly wolfing down a dozen Cookies without realizing it, I purposefully sit and enjoy one or two. I do it without shame and without needing to hide, because there's nothing embarrassing to me about enjoying a treat in moderation. I find that if it gets to be too often or too much, my weight loss will slow, stop, or reverse. Then I course correct and usually the by next day or two, I see the result on the scale.

• My body is forgiving. When I have had to make a course correction, my body is quick to let go of the offending extra pound(s). It's like it wants to lose weight if I'll just cooperate and not get in the way.

Now, I still have 77 (now 62!) pounds to go until my goal weight, so I'm certainly not there. But even this much of a change has done so much for me.

Anyone should go into surgery with both eyes open as to what complications you can run into, etc., but I just wanted to put my story out there, because there are some people who don't have complications. Sometimes the band is a perfect solution to why we're overweight and can be a virtually problem-free answer.

I do follow my surgeon's rules and make good food choices most of the time. You do have to learn how to eat the best way for your weight loss, but it is important and you can do it. I do use willpower at times, but it is a hugely different experience with the band than before.

Sometimes I don't post about how easy things have gone for me because I don't want to frustrate those who are struggling and trying hard, only having slower success. I don't want to come across as bragging in any way. But it's not a true picture if you don't get all perspectives, and this is my perspective. Hope it was helpful.

I'm inching ever closer to my next goals: 100 pounds lost (19 to go) Onderland (23 to go), then weighing less than dh and that fluctuates daily, but I have around 45 to go for that one. Then goal for me is only a few more pounds from there. It's amazing that these things are within reach!

I'm simply amazed at your progress. I am so happy for you and only wish the same success for myself after I'm banded. :thumbup: