Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd fill w/Realize band 6cc total no restriction

Hi all, Ok, here's my story. I have my 3rd fill next week and almost 4 months out from surgery (banded 2/19/2008). Really I have hardly any restriction and can eat anything (even tho I know I shouldn't and try willfully not to eat it) like bread, rice, etc. Am NOT eating chocolate, fast food, or twinkies - the things I ate before surgery. I am losing inches and some weight as I work out almost daily. Of course I have more restriction then before I was banded but just not what I need/want. Not even close to my sweet spot. Its my will alone that's floating me. So my question is, will it happen? Will it get to the point where physically I CAN'T eat bread, my nemesis, and not have to really just on will power alone? Can 1/2 cc make a difference? Is my stomach the size of a watermellon (just kidding). Thanks! :confused2:

Guest ZenGarden

Hey there....hang in there....and be patient....and go back for another fill as soon as your doctor will allow. Restriction is a very tricky thing and varies tremendously from person to person. There are people who are losing weight like crazy (without lots of exercise) with only one fill, and others like me who exercise like crazy, eat very little, and have seven or eight fills and have yet to find the sweet spot. The main thing to remember is only YOU know how much restriction you have. I argued/debated this point profusely to my original surgeon because he was extremely conservative with fills. I ended up changing doctors because he refused to give me an adequate fill and I thought he was wasting my time.

As far as the food goes...I can still eat anything (including bread) as long as it is in tiny amounts and chew very well. Some people can't eat popcorn, but it hasn't bothered me at all. Again...the joys and frustrations of being a bandster is that this isn't a one-size-fits-all scenario and sometimes what works for you might not work for me.

Thanks Zengirl, the thing I have to remember is that we are all different and what works for one won't necessarily work on another. My fill is a week from Wed and I'm looking forward to it. Also, I don't tend to weigh myself on a regular basis because the change isn't dramatic so getting a fill is another way for me to see where I'm at.

Guest ZenGarden

I meant to really emphasize getting the fills...some doctors are very conservative and others are more aggressive. Like I said, only YOU know if you have adequate restriction and sometimes it can be very difficult to get this point across to a doctor that thinks he knows it all OR, better yet, believes the proper way to give a fill is a one-size-fits-all approach of .3 cc's at a time.

One other question - does your doctor perform fills under fluoro? My new doctor does, and this can make all the difference.

PS - I've struggled with restriction from DAY ONE, so feel free to PM me with questions or if you just need to rant and rave :behindsofa:

I was also wondering about restriction. I have had two fills so far and was banded on 1/31/08. I am steadily loosing weight but I feel no restriction, either. Am still hungry sometimes and do rely on willpower quite a bit. I cannot (or will not) touch food that I am not supposed to be able to eat (like bread, sweets, etc.) and rely heavily on Protein foods and veggies!!! I do get satisified when I eat but really want to feel this "sweet spot" that everyone is talking about! I think that I am going to ask for another fill to see if I feel any different. Good luck to all!

I meant to really emphasize getting the fills...some doctors are very conservative and others are more aggressive. Like I said, only YOU know if you have adequate restriction and sometimes it can be very difficult to get this point across to a doctor that thinks he knows it all OR, better yet, believes the proper way to give a fill is a one-size-fits-all approach of .3 cc's at a time.

One other question - does your doctor perform fills under fluoro? My new doctor does, and this can make all the difference.

PS - I've struggled with restriction from DAY ONE, so feel free to PM me with questions or if you just need to rant and rave :behindsofa:

Zengirl, Can I PM you?

Everyone is different. That goes for the people with the bands along with those who fill them. Some places are very conservative.

I insisted on aggressive fills and I have a Realize band. First fill under flouro was 6.8 and I felt restriction, occasional pb but it was a vague kind of restriction that quickly diminished over a couple of weeks. Second fill was 1.5 and the first week i thought i needed an unfill until i realized i just was not eating slow enough or chewing well enough.

I found the sweet spot but i had very aggressive fills. You will definitely get restriction once you are filled enough. You should talk more to your fill doctor to get to the right fill level a little more quickly. If they will not give you larger fills, perhaps you can decrease the time in between appointments to get their a little bit quicker.

HeatherO,

WOW! your first fill was very aggressive! My doc gave me 4ccs my first fill and she told me that 4ccs at a time is the max at one fill. The next time she gave me 2cc because she was afraid I would get too tight. I think docs should give aggressive fills at first because it usually takes so much longer to get to the proper restriction with those little fills.

Hi all, Ok, here's my story. I have my 3rd fill next week and almost 4 months out from surgery (banded 2/19/2008). Really I have hardly any restriction and can eat anything (even tho I know I shouldn't and try willfully not to eat it) like bread, rice, etc. Am NOT eating chocolate, fast food, or twinkies - the things I ate before surgery. I am losing inches and some weight as I work out almost daily. Of course I have more restriction then before I was banded but just not what I need/want. Not even close to my sweet spot. Its my will alone that's floating me. So my question is, will it happen? Will it get to the point where physically I CAN'T eat bread, my nemesis, and not have to really just on will power alone? Can 1/2 cc make a difference? Is my stomach the size of a watermellon (just kidding). Thanks! :confused2:

Hang in there girl!! I have the J&J band (10ccs) and I have 6ccs already and I am experiencing the same thing you are. I feel a little bit of restricton but not enough to really restrict me from eating larger portions and any foods. I am hoping that I will be at my sweet spot at my next fill. I'll be praying for ya!

I've had one fill (it was 6cc) with the Realize band and I have next to no restriction, either. I can eat anything for the most part (except super dry chicken or super dry scrambled eggs - and even then, it was probably fear that was stopping me), and usually, it's almost a full serving. I, too, am only surviving by will power.

Since the fill on May 21st, I've lost somewhere around 7lbs (I've not weighed myself in a couple of days, but I wasn't very well behaved at a birthday BBQ over the weekend). I'm seeing the surgeon on Thursday, but I have a feeling that he's going to tell me that 7lbs is enough of a loss that he's not going to do another fill yet. Can't say that I'm happy about that...

-m

Edited by dancinglamb

Guest ZenGarden

Zengirl, Can I PM you?

YES, please PM me - this goes for any of you guys! I'm here to offer my personal experiences...and I've been dealing with restriction issues for 14 months now.

I dont think that I am getting enough of a fill 4/28/08 lapband received 1 fill 06/06 Then I complained went back to doctor I am starving and can eat everything But I dont. (want to) I think I could have lost this weight on Weight Watchers. Only lost 13 lbs in 2 months. very disapointed.

schuyler

I dont think that I am getting enough of a fill 4/28/08 lapband received 1 fill 06/06 Then I complained went back to doctor I am starving and can eat everything But I dont. (want to) I think I could have lost this weight on Weight Watchers. Only lost 13 lbs in 2 months. very disapointed.

schuyler

You need more fills that's all. I'm 3 months out and only lost a few more pounds than you. I get my 3rd fill on the 16th. I'm hoping to hit my "sweet spot". Depending on how your body responds and how aggressive your doc is with his or her fills, you should need at least 2-4 fills to get to the right restriction. Without restriction it's very much like being on your own. Be patient! I'm trying to do the same!:thumbup:

I'm in exactly the same boat. I've had 3 fills and I have 6 cc's in my Realize band. I feel something - I know I'm banded, and I can't eat a full size restaurant meal. But I can eat anything I want.... bread, Pasta, big Vitamins.... and I don't have to chew it very well either. Of course, that would be wonderful if it also meant that I can feel satisfied on a little less food. I journal my menu each day on TheDailyPlate and I am slowly losing but I have to push myself away from the table before I'm satisfied.

I do have to say though, that I'm starting to learn the difference between real hunger and head hunger and sometimes I know that it is head hunger and that's going to take time to work through.

I'm scheduled for another fill later this week and I've honestly tried to figure out whether I should get one, or accept it the way it is for now.