Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I stay in the hospital overnight?

I'm self pay and included in my hospital fee is the opportunity to stay overnight at the hospital. Does anyone recommend this or should I just go home if everything is ok? I've asked my husband and he is willing to bring me home and care for me that evening.

I'm scheduled for my band this Friday the 13th (not worried at all about the date!)

I appreciate your comments!

If you have had out pt surgery before and do well with going home then I think you will be fine. My insurance would go either way and my doc is new at the lap band so he is keeping us all over night. Just make sure that you have a box a gas X strips and your liquid pain meds if your gonna take it to the house. You'll probaly be up alot that night trying to walk the gas out. My sister stayed with me at the hospital, so I know your husband will be a great help. Good Luck..

Shee:thumbup:

If you are paying for the hospital stay you might as well stay. I was banded on 6/2 and I stayed the night and I was very appreciative for the nurses who came and checked on me and gave me the scheduled pain meds through the IV because I was too nauseated to take pills. Also, I had to wear SCD on my legs to prevent blood clots. Have you asked your doctor if he will let you go early? I know mine would have freaked out and said no and not have done the surgery.

I'm glad I stayed. I didn't have pain or any problems that I couldn't have handled overnight. But, having the IV fluids running all night really gave me a jump start with the hydration for when I went home early the next morning.

My recommendation would be to stay overnight if the price is the same.

I agree, stay the night and let the nurses check up on you and have the fluids that you need from the IV. I was very happy to have stayed over night, but was ready to head home later the next day.

Good luck!

Personally I would stay. I would think that IF by chance something pops up after surgery your there already. And the extra care and watchfullness will be benificial. Not to mention if you get any nausea or anything come up you might need medication for or a change in meds they can do that MUCH faster while your there then if you had gone ahead home.

I agree with everyone else. Stay the night, especially if it is already included in the price. You will feel lousy the first day and night so the extra attention and pain meds will be a help. Although complications are rare, it will give you and your husband peace of mind to have someone checking your vitals, etc. that first night.

If it was me and it was still free I would definetly stay in hospital - It's just to monitor you overnight and make sure that everything goes according to plan - But if you do wish to go home how far is it to your hospital in case something does happen? I think that personally I would stay in the hospital the required time just to make sure everything goes ok but then again I have previous medical history so I'd be staying anyway you know?

I say Ditto what they all said!! I am a bit strange for the fact that anytime I have had surgery I always opted to stay the night. It is weird I know, but it is kinda like being pampered a bit. I have two small boys, so I take a break when I can. I know I am different! LOL

I get banded the same day you do. I personally don't like staying at the hospital and i hope I am released the same day! Will you get a refund if you don't spend the night? Do you have young children? have you had surgery before? I am having insurance pay for it and I do have a 14 month old daughter. we will be an hour and a half from home for my surgery so my husband and daughter would have to spend the night either in a hotel or the hospital. (if they let them) I have had 2 foot surgeries and they went fine. I just don't like being in the hospital...I don't like the nurses that come in every few hours to check BP and Temp. I don't take a whole lot of pain meds but I can self medicate. I am also young (27) and relatively healthy so the doc said I should be fine to go home even though I live so far away. so if you feel well it is really up to you. I hope I have an early surgery time so I can go home but I am just crazy like that!

Bobbi

If you have the choice, and your insurance will allow it. Yes, stay in the hospital. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm gald I did although I had no complications.

My doc keeps his patients overnight and I am glad. Like the others said, the access to liquids and medicine via IV was a definite plus that first day. Plus, it was just nice knowing they were there to closely monitor me the first 24 hours in case there was any problems.

I just had my band yesterday Monday, and I also had option to stay, and I am really glad I did, they gave antibiotics, and heparin and pain medicine around the clock, and it was good to have someone that could help me up and go the bathroom, also I had my upper GI this morning early since I was already in the hospital.

Taz

If it was included in my fee, I'd stay. It will cost me an extra $5,000 to stay the night, so barring any complications, I'll be going home the day of surgery. I find it very hard to sleep in the hospital, but those IV pain meds and fluids sure sound nice. I can't see paying $5,000 for the benefits though.