Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

Has anyone been told that there is a very high risk of pregancy soon after this surgery???? This is what my doctor's nurse told me today. If this is true - how long am I at a high risk?????

Congrats on your surgery and the start of a new life and journey ahead!

I had learned that the higher chances of becoming pregnant is due to the large amount of weight loss, and this is because your body has to regulate itself, as it will go through some hormonal changes as you continually to lose weight. You become more fertile, as a result, perhaps the most fertile during this time. This has nothing to do with the surgery itself. This is why we are strongly advised to use good birth control during this weight loss phase. I hope this helps answer your question. Good luck!

exactly - fertility can improve quite quickly for some people, if you've not been bothered with birth control, you might be in for a surprise.

As women lose weight it increases the amount of freed up estrogen in the body, helping along ovulation. You are not any more at risk than if you were ovulating normally before. You won't be releasing eggs three times a month or anything crazy...it just makes your body better about doing what it is supposed to normally. If you aren't trying for a baby, definitely use birth control even if you didn't need to before.

thanks for answering... yeah she really scared me b/c we were in a group class and then she pin pointed me out i was like ummmmmm especially bc my grandma was sitting right next to me lol so i didnt want to ask her why

but thanks for ur help

it's not that you're at a higher risk. It's just that as you lose weight it becomes easier to get knocked up so be EXTRA careful! lol

20 years ago, I had just lost 30 pounds and got PG unexpectedly. I remarried 4 years ago and we have been trying the whole time with no luck. Murphy's law I guess, when you don't want it it happens, when you do want it it doesn't. I am thinking that the band may be very helpful, but I will wait as has been recommended for at least a year before trying so as not to cause any issues.