Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone know how long after surgery you're allowed to go swimming? Thanks!!

Id assume as soon as your scars have closed and are on there way to healing, although if you in salt Water it would definetly help as salt water helps with healing and everything but if it were a chlorinated pool I would say longer as the chemicals would affect your surgery points and possibly irritate them a bit

Ugh yeah the day I got home from the hospital my dad opened our pool!! Its been in the high 80s all week and I've been sitting in my bedroom looking at our nice, clean, cool, refreshing pool. He spent all his time opening the pool he didn't have time to put in the window air conditioners we have. Awesome

Haha Allison. High 80's eh? haven't seen those since late March. That's why I'm glad my surgery isn't going to be until the fall. I won't have the temptation to jump in the pool!

my doctor said no pool or baths for 1 month but I went in yesterday at 3 weeks figured my wounds are closed.....

Haha Drew, 80s in March?? I went skiing in March, and again in April... lol, and it was FREEZING up in the mountains in Western Mass.

I guess I am bad, I waited 11 days and was fine. Um, who knows I guess Dr. knows best but as longs as all wounds are closed and there is no seeping seems like it should be fine. It is 90 daily here so I am in the pool a lot.

I went in after 3wks. The only problem I had was overdoing it. I stretched my tummy muscles a wee bit too much doing my swimming. But I pervailed and overcame it!! Enjoying my pool in mid 90's weather!

Haha Drew, 80s in March?? I went skiing in March, and again in April... lol, and it was FREEZING up in the mountains in Western Mass.

Yes ma'am 80's in March. Normal down here. People freaked last summer because it didn't hit 100 at all!

Believe it or not I've never seen snow ever in my life.

Went to the pool today and I remembered why so many people are so eager to jump in. It's great exercise and almost impossible to sweat doing it!

Funny you should ask that question (about swimming) as I had asked that same question today of my Dr .

I was told 6-7 weeks after your surgery, also make sure you do not have any open wounds etc.

My doctor let me go after my 2 week check up....I guess it depends on the doctor. He did tell me not to swim in a public place only in a closed pool. It has been in the high 90's here so I am glad he didn't take that from me :angry:

I just had my 2 week follow-up today and I asked if I could start swimming and/or Water aerobics and my doctor said that my incisions looked fine and healed and I was good to go!!!!

Hope it works out for you too!

Its pretty stupid that they do say so long to wait I mean swimming is the least strenuous excercise, it's actually helping you and if its in a salt Water pool its definetly good for you. Oh well - docs they think they know everything right?