Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to this site. Just got my surgery date from August 12 and looking for a buddy.

how does this all work?

is it an online thing or do people buddy up with others in their city so they can meet in person?

I live in Toronto and don't expect too many Canadians on an American site but it would be great to buddy up with someone else in Toronto.

I'm 42, married, mother of a very energetic 4 1/2 year old girl, looking to lose about 150lbs with help from the Slimband.

Kurby, I just wanted to say welcome to the group. I have a story very similar to yours. After 2 years of trying to get pregnant with my second child I was diagnosed with PCOS. It lead to a deep depression where the docs discovered I was Bipolar too. I went into such a deep depression from everything. My depression started to lift but I kept noticing I was still exhausted all the time. Doc sent me to an endocrinologist who said I had metabolic syndrome. He recommended the lapband because I needed to get the weight off and diet and exercise were not doing the trick. I had my lapband done on Jan 4 and have lost 53 pounds from preop to today. I am not exhausted any more and have been in college the past 2 semesters. I also sent in an application for nursing school a few weeks ago. I have improved greatly in my mental and physical health over the past year. My lapband has played a huge part in me getting my life back.

I hope you stick with this group of ladies and post often.

Good morning ladies,

I have had such a busy week. Wed my son had an awards ceremony in choir, Thursday I got my tattoo and Friday my son graduated from preschool. I slacked off abit but still lost a pound this week. I am getting back on track today. No worries.

Hubby also got results back from his xrays. He doesn't have a buldging disk like the chiro said. It is arthritis and muscle spasms. No surgery. He did ride the motorcycle yesterday so I am hoping by the end of the month he will be ready for the long ride to Helen Ga.

Here are a few pics from the happenings this week.

Jessice

WTG Girl you Rock !!! 1lbs is 1lbs less than before -

Love the tattoo!!!! Love your picture - love your Utube blog

Love You !!!! So very proud of you !!! You are a butterfly !!!

I'm in for Vegas in October. Would love to meet everyone.

Joyce

Good morning from hot and sunny Utah. May have to see if my a/c works today. Went and checked out a church this morning. It was okay and may be worth a 2nd look. Today the plan is to put up some blinds especially in the bedroom, I am tired of doing the run and dash or getting dressed in the dark. Also going to take advantage of DH's 6'6 height and have him put up some high stuff for me today before he goes back to work tomorrow.

Well yesterday was my 2 yr bandiversary date, and it came and went without a 2nd thought. I forgot about it until I got a Happy Band-versary email from Obesity Help this morning. What a difference 2 yrs has made. I reached goal at this time last year so it's a double anniversary. I am a tad over goal now and need to work on that starting this week. The move, etc. has been rough on me and it served as a reminder that I can still easilyl succumb to emotional eating and stress eating.

Jodi, feel for you on the dog issues. We had 2 rottweillers we had to put to sleep a year apart about 2 yrs ago one had brain cancer and the other her hindquarters went out at age 13 and she couldn't walk. We have 2 new dogs and one of them is giving us fits. She's always been an exciteable 'piddler' but we've learnt to deal with that with her in the house, and she's been great. However, since the move she is peeing everywhere, we can't have that in a new home on new carpet. Poor thing is living in the garage most of the time as we have no fence until the end of this week. I just don't know what to do. Enjoy your weekend at home and good luck on getting off the cpap machine!

Phyl, sorry to hear of your band issues. Praying that all returns to normal and you can get your fills back and no further action is required.

Janet, yep I think I was your 2nd or 3rd poster. YOu've helped me a lot in this journey. Not sure I'd have made it this far with out you for a role model. You showed me it was possible.

Jewel, congrats on the tatoo. I know many people love them and they have gotten them as rewards for their journeys and hard work. Not sure I could do it, but then agian my thing is Coach purses and Ann Taylor. LOL It's beautiful though, did you draw it yourself?

COUNT ME IN FOR VEGAS IN OCTOBER! HECK IT'S CLOSE ENOUGH IF i HAVE FLIGHT TROUBLES I CAN DRIVE THERE!

Jessica - Love all the pictures. You look beautiful and tattoo is lovely. DS is darling.

Lori - hope fence comes soon to help out doggie. Hugs on the accidents. Do not want that new carpet ruined.

Janet - have a great trip with those grandkids. A nice variety of ages. I'm so lucky that my grandkids look forward to our trip together each summer. Wish I had started Lala instead of Grandma nickname.

Jessica your picts are wonderful...you are looking great!. Your son is a cutie too.

Kurby..welcome! I'm one of the banders that doesn't follow the rules too well and have completely slowed down on weight loss, but it does me a world of good to keep reading and posting so I don't slip back to my old ways. The band works GREAT! I don't work the band is my problem and I'm still dealing with emotional, stress eating. Janet, Great, Apples, Phyl, Julie and everyone else have insights and experiences that are very helpful.

Joyce, I'm impressed with your resume. Yoga and biking...a woman after my own heart. Not that I do either of those very well now, but I do like yoga...I'm very stiff naturally. My DH would love for me to bike but I keep falling off and hurting myself so I haven't been on my bike for a while.

Great, sorry to have missed your bandiversary. Congratulations, you continue to be an inspiration! I take it DH is home with you this weekend? How's the house arranging going? What kind of fence are you getting?

Janet, your vacation sounds really nice. Much better than going to Ohio (what I have to do in November). Yep, I think I missed out on those girly girl genetics...there are some things I really like, but I'm missing the "motherly" instinct and the need to apply makeup daily.

Phyl, sorry to hear about the shoulder....maybe you just slept on it wrong. Hope it gets better quickly. You'll be find with the unfill....pretend you just got banded and have to watch your eating for the next 3 weeks. I perused your FB photos...you are a very active and busy lady.

I'm trying to make a sunshade curtain for the back door...guess I better get to it.

HI to everyone I missed.

Eva

Eva, we are getting a light tan vinyl fence. All the houses in the neighborhood have the same fence. We negotiated in the purchase contract that the builder had to put in a fence. It was supposed to be done when we moved in but supposedly it was too wet. I will be glad when it's done. We still need to put in a back yard as well, the builder is giving us sod but we have to put in the sprinkler system and lay the sod ourselves. Lots of work. But we want to put in a big patio so that will cut down on the amount of sod as well.

Okay, I've officially read all 14 pages of posts since I left on my trip to Ohio.....Wow, lots to comment on and I didn't take notes.... Not a good thing!!!!!

Janet, you are a dear to take your kids on a trip.... can't remember when it is..... Have a great time...

Apples, I hope you are feeling so much better than when I talked to you on Wednesday... She just had her extractions done and was at the lake recovering... No novacaine!!!!! OMG!!!!! Hope the worst is over and you will be able move ahead with all your plans fast.... Yes, we will try to do a meet sometime this summer....

Lori, glad you are getting settled in your new home... You need time for it to feel like home, but it will..... I'm sure missing your kids and Gma is the worst part..... You'll figure that out, too.... Now, did you find your pants???????

Phyll, glad you are finally better, but sorry to hear about your son.... hope he is better soon....

Cheri, wonderful pictures... Love your hair up.... makes you face look so thin....... You just have to take the pen and know they meant welll, I guess.....

Judy, congrats on the loss and the part.... Is it a big part??? I'm so glad OA is helping you get back to yourself..... Sorry about the baby.....

Jodi, I'm tired just reading about you and what you do.... So much in your life.... but you sound happy and that is the most important thing of all....

Laura K, sorry this guy is turning into a dud.... This new you needs an upbeat happy guy!!!! Glad you had fun planting and such again......

Laura, I'm with the rest...... Nelson is too young for a dog and it's responsibilities....... DD's DF wants to get a dog, too, but we discouraged it until the girls are bigger and their life isn't so complicated... Congrats on dad doing better... What a relief....

Eva, so much on your plate always and you are always there for everyone else.... Do they do the same for you??? Glad you DH got you a new MP3 player for your books... That was nice of him...

Arlene, not to worry about not losing this week..... Just means more for next week...... You are doing so well.....

Jessica.............wow............ a butterfly.......... the rest are right...it suits you.... Your boy is getting so big.... loved the pictures... Hope DH is better soon... glad your leg is better..

Joyce, I'm forgetting what you've been up to but I did read it all..... Is it a trip to FL close to Judy??? have fun......

Linda, you are always so busy, too... Your camping trip must have been a good one if DGD wanted to go again....

Melissa, how are you doing....? The shakes are getting to you I think I read.... I know I couldn't do it.....

Pam... glad to have you back.... You'll have things back in order in no time... Divorce is a hard thing no matter why it happened....... Take care of yourself.....

Meredith, glad to hear from you, too.. Hope your life is going wonderfully.....

Now, did I forget anyone.???? I did that all from memory and am afraid I forgot someone.... Not on purpose.....Have we heard from Deb lateley??? Welcome to the new ones...... This is a great place...

Now about me...... today hasn't been too bad so far.... Taking pills all the time now as the pain never leaves.... I'm managing right now..... Need to take a rest soon... We've had another death at our church and this time it is the father-in-law of the other gal who can organize and get things done.... So this one is on me.... I've had offers of labor help if I just do the organizing, so that I can do..... Funeral is Wednesday for 125...... Thursday we have to serve and elevator supper for 150 that we have been doing for 50+ years..... I'm organizing that, too........... Then on the 19th is our annual homemade ice cream and pie social and I'm organizing that, as well as my 40th class reunion that same day...... OMG I can hardly wait for June 20th!!!!!!! after that only one wedding to attend and then hopefully nothing until DD's wedding.... With my medical problems she has decided we should get a caterer to make the food....... I'm about ready to give in and say yes to that..... We'll see if I can get any action out of my doctor this week about going to MN for a second opinion......... Will start on that tomorrow...

Our best friends that we play pinnochle with all the time were in a car accident the day we left on our trip..(Thursday, May 27th)..... Someone ran a red light in downtown Bismarck and pushed them a half block before stopping.... she was driving and it hit right ahead of the door on the engine.....He had a couple lacerations from the seat belt and such.... She had a concussion..........BUT..............while checking her out in ER they did a CT of her head and then wanted to do another.... Why????? Found something odd..... Turns out she has 3 brain aneurysms (SP).........on a scale from 1-10, oneis an 8.5 and the other 2 are 4+ each... She is scheduled for brain surgery or whatever they decide at mayo on 6-16.... They need her concussion to heal a bit before treating this.... So the car accident was a blessing in disguise.... She could have just died from a rupture anytime... Who knows how long they have been there... Never had a headache or anything to give a hint something was wrong..... She is so worried about what happens to her husband if she dies.... He has COPD quite bad and is not in the best shape........So, please, if you will, say a prayer for my friend....... I'd appreciate it much......

Well, better go rest a bit before getting back at it... got my plans all done, but need to make a few calls yet this evening to ask for salads and bars for the funeral....

Love you all and am glad to be back again.. I will be very busy this week, but will try to check in when I can... Hugs and prayers for all my dear friends... Julie

Hi Gang,

Welcome back Julie. Excellent responses to 14 pp. You should have been a writer or editor. Ditto to all your responses. I can't remember everyone and I'm too much of a technical klutz to do multi and then delete all or part of the person's post so that my responses don't take too much space. So I mostly respond to whoever's post struck a chord with me.

Jessica, great tat. You are lookin' fine. Cute son. So great that you're overcoming all those issues. Sometimes I think that it isn't just the weight loss, its getting all those carbs out of our diets (or at least greatly reduced) that makes us feel so much better. There are a lot of brain chemistry issues (like ADHD) that respond very well to high Protein low carb lifestyles. Not to mention diabetes and pre-diabetes. Mood control is much better when there are no blood sugar swings. Cravings diminish. Physical and psychological pain is less noticeable. Belly fat shrinks. Insulin resistance diminishes making us burn fat instead of storing it and upping our metabolisms.

Phyll, I think I have to be really careful of that stomach prolapse into the stoma thing because I wake up and have to be moving around and standing up for a while before I can handle even a Protein Drink. I start with a SF Latte and sip slowly while I get ready. I think it was nurse Laura that told me that's probably why I'm so tight when I wake up. The old stomach sort of plugs up the pouch while I'm sleeping.< /p>

Yesterday, I didn't have to go to work so I sat in the morning with my laptop instead of walking around and showering, etc., and I pb'd my Protein Shake and even had trouble with my latte.

If I've been sitting a while slouched in my armchair with my legs up, I have more trouble with pbing after just a few bites. I need to stand up and walk around till the pain eases and then I can eat a whole lot. So I think the stomach has to drop back into place before I can eat.

By the time I'm served in a restaurant, I can have trouble, too.

Now that I see the consequences, I think I'll build more walking around time before all meals. Let that old stomach drop back down where it belongs. Visit the restroom before eating instead of having to run to pb after a few bites.

Maybe loosening my belt or pants before eating might help, too. They tend to push up on my stomach and diaphragm. I can feel the pressure upwards on my band and port sometimes. I don't want to do permanant damage or have to have an unfill.

Going to my mother's for supper. My DH is going to try to fix her computer. She may have too many programs not closed out.

Cheri

Hey,

Can someone tell me how to do a photo montage that will post n all my posts the way Jessica did? Trying to become more techno savvy.

Cheri

Good Afternoon Gang...

Great - Belated Happy 2 Band Anniversary !!! On the Dogs that's why I didn't want any in my new house - Andrew was good training Bear & Ryder (he was the easiest) Angel - well she's another story... She's good 99% of the time. Thanks for the props - but girl - all I did was show you that a 50+ could do to it ;0) I would say the board has a lot more younger ones than us - and that's why we have stuck together so long.. I am glad you are still here...

Vegas in October - First Part I think just remember work partner is going on a Cruise but I think it's the end of October

I'll ck tomorrow at work

Who else can make it !!!

Joyce - Andrew named me LaLa - he said mommy daddy light blanca but he never called me anything and I sang to him every nite - grandma's baby boy - come to grandma (I'm not a Nana person - we called both our grandma's Grandma - one was just grandma - she lived here the other one we called our Flying Grandma cuz she lived in NY and had to fly to see us) - but I guess when I was catering to his every need he didn't need to call me anything - but one day - he said La as he was looking at me -I looked at his mom and said did you hear that - he finally called me something - then the next day - he said LaLa - so that's how the name came about - I always think of the song LaLa means I love you - Going to play it at my funeral :0) so I m ake them all cry -

I'm mean ;0)..

Eva - Lol - not a girly girly- but that's cool cuz it takes all kinds - ;0) Ohio - Family for thanksgiving??

Julie - The Weekend after Thanksgiving - I want to create a memory for the kids - got a little $$ from Aunt - so figured this was something good I could do with it...

Great - my subdivison had block walls - so we didn't have to put up a fence but had to do the back yard - Andrew's stepdad is a landscape contractor - he did all mine - I just had to pay for the plants - plus my house came w/a patio - another reason I bought from this builder - all those things weren't extras..

Cheri - Becareful - your signs are like Phyl's - If it doesnt stop soon - I would see your doc

To attache pic's like Jessica - I don't now how she got them up and down - mine usually are side by side - but here's how you do it..

Picture - this is how I do it

Open a reply box - scroll down to manage attachements - click on that - then this will pop up - I click on browse and go to where my pics are on my computer - click the one you want and then hit upload.. - you can up load 5 pics at a time..

Upload File from your Computer

Upload File from a URL

After you are done close window - type something in the reply box and hit submit -

Well got all my shopping done - been home since 3 - but had to clean pantry & fridge out - to make room for all the food

I'm pooped..

cbl

Joyce..What????? Vegas in October? I admit......I didn't read the last page, but DH and I are going in November. We paid for the tickets, room, and we are going to see LOVE. Poo!

Maybe Southwest will have a special in October.

Janet, you would be proud of me......I rode my bike for 30minutes and walked for 30. I swear, I felt like I was walking in a sauna. It was hot and humid at 6:30 this morning. Maybe I burned more calories.

Julie, I was watching QVC and they had a heating pad for the neck and shoulders. It is made by Sunbeam. You might want to check it out.

Great, I don't know about other parts of the country, but most houses down here have blinds. People come in and do the whole house for a reasonable price. We all have different shades of wood fence since Hurricane Ike. HOA didn't complain because we paid for it.

Speaking of hurricanes......while watching QVC today DH saw the Today's Special and said it was a good price so I bought a portable A/C for hurricane season. We were without A/C for a couple of weeks because the generator won't run central air. So, now we are prepaid.....generator and a portable A/C.....It's all good!

Jessica....like your tat!

Eva, Thanks for asking about my mom......she is finally in her apartment. Her eyes are worse, but she won't let me purchase the low vision aid she needs. She had excellent hearing, but after the bout with pneumonia she can't hear too good. I hope it clears up.

Cheri, now that I have been on shakes when I eat chicken I have to stand up to keep from sliming(yuk)! I don't think I could do this diet without the band. It does help. I hope this is my last month. I am ready for two meals, and two shakes a day.

Okay, Gang......have a great evening. Oh, Julie, Prayers going up for your friend!

Apples! How are you????

Wow, Julie, how lucky for your friend to have been in that car accident. How many people are grateful for that, but it may have saved her life.

Well I am giving Lucy another shot in the house. She's staying by my side as DH really got after her before for peeing in the house. I hope she learnt her lesson. I know this move has been hard on them, but this has got to stop and fast.

the friend I ran into at Home Depot yesterday called and wants to do coffee tomorrow morning. It will be so nice to get out and socialize with someone. I hate coffee but am sure Starbucks bottled Water or something.

October is when DH does a lot of hunting and what not so it will be a perfect time for me to go to Las Vegas.

Arlene, sounds like a fruitful day watching QVC today. LOL I can't watch, been without TV since the move, hopefully we'll be hooked up on Tues. Way to go on the exercise!

Janet, this house came with a lot of inclusions but some others that weren't. Guess it was a tradeoff. We got a finished basement which is usually never included but have to pour the patio and put in the back yard.

Charlene - Lol on the a/c - I saw that - I Love QVC .. I should have a generator & a/c in the event of an EQ .. WTG on the exercise!!!! - I hear you on the heat - midnite 90 - this moring at what 9 it was 95 - Summer is here

Great - Ya a finished basement is fantastic trade off..

Great, all my life I have wanted a basement......we don't have them down here, and they would help with the tornadoes, but drown us in the hurricanes. When the Houston medical center basements flooded during a tropical storm it took them years to renovate and rebuild.

Janet, I can live without food, but I cannot live without A/C. He!!, as long as I have my Magic Bullet.....I'm in good shape....I know how to live on Protein shakes!!! lol