Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Dear Friends,

Thanks for the kind words. Things are still a bit rough around here. We're waiting to hear whether hubby will have to have heart surgery; I'm still running from doctor to doctor with my parents and attending to all their needs, taking care of my grandson and feeling the horrific impact of what's happened to the economy, - all at the same time. I never thought I'd be in a place like this, never thought growing older would be so tough.

My weight is fair; had the second fill, which did NOT work at all. In fact I felt like I had less restriction than before. I e-mailed the doctor and BEGGED him for help. I think he heard the desparation in my voice and he took me in 8 days later for my 3rd filll. I'm still not restricted enough, haven't hit that "sweet spot" yet, but it's better.

Thank you all for being so supportive. I love you all.

Ellen

Hi to everyone tonight! How is all of the new surgery patients doing? Hope to hear you are all doing well. LONG, my twins are now 23 in Feb 2009. I also have dd 24 and dd 34. I got remarried after many years and had three kids in two half years. :whistle:. It was hard back then but they are all good kids so I am lucky. I went out tonight looking to see how the deals are coming along. I think more people are shopping than we think. I noticed alot of stuff missing out of the stores and the craft stores today. I ordered a sweater from Coldwater Creek and got it today. Haven't tried it on yet but will tomorrow. I also ordered a gorgeous belt from Chicos but they can't find any more of those so I guess I won't get it. Right now I am interested in Western clothes (like Indian Blanket coats, sweaters, etc) and some nice cowboy boots. I love tooled leather purses. Brahmin made one a while back and I sure wish I would have gotten it. Keep looking for things on Ebay. Bought a beautiful red Indian blanket coat off of Ebay. Like I said, things fit me beautiful in the shoulders but my stomach causes me to have to go up sizes:mad:. I have very small shoulders so I could wear a large now if it wasn't for that. We had the Jrs. rodeo here a couple of years and boy I loved all of the rodeo clothing at those shows. I collect Swarovski crystal ornaments so I have a skinny lighted tree in my bedroom with all of my crystal on it. Man, is it ever gorgeous. I like that Soft Surroundings catalog also. I want that Pink or Teal silk plaid velvet boyfriend shirt in there. I still can't hardly see myself as anything other than plus. Why do I keep going up into that part of the stores and looking. Janet is right, I am still fat chick in skinny body:tongue2: except I not skinny yet. Enough for tonight:biggrin:

Love ya all

Beckyo:thumbup:

Becky - Will have to ck out Soft Surroundings and a tree in your bedroom - OM... How neat is that - I might do that next year - but heck in a way it would be a waste cuz I really only sleep in there...

As far as being a fat chick in a skinny body - I think that in some sistuations we always will be - it's our insecurities coming thru - but as time goes by - that's what we have to work on... Cuz of that stupid fat chick inside of us can cause us to put the weight back on - we gotta keep the skinny chick in the front of our minds...

Hi Indigo:

I can never understand these forums sometimes. The last post I saw on this kind and generous forum you statrted was from May 08, but I know once I enter this I will see more current posts. So waht I'm saying is I'm in the dark right now and you may not even have kept this up?

O ;p I love what you said about LBT being your transfer addcition....as far as addicitons go I guess this would be a healthy one? I wish I has a new "treadmill desk" though as I feel guilty sitting for so long! :tt1:

Well justed wanted to put my two cents in here. I can't believe I'm only 1 week post op?!?! It feels like a lifetime:lol: First the roller coaster of decision making....took me 3 years to get the guts to do this. Then the year long frustrating insurance coverage fiasco that never panned out. Then the pre op nightmarish test subject weeks. Then wheww....the actually surgery ....worse than I thought.....a lot worse but the pain and nausea was temporary thank goodness. :tt1: Now it's the easiest part for me ....losing weight and eating healthy! THis part i thought would be the Hardest!!? This is cake....I love eating slowly, methodically and being aware of what I put in my mouth. My skin and hair glow with health and I feel like my body is morphing into a woman 10 years younger. That is my body is looking like it did 10 years ago before I became pregnant at 40 and became obese for what I thought would be permanently.

Did I tell you I like to write also...:whistle:..youll have to put up with my ramblings ...sorry:embaressed_smile:

Yikes excuse what looks like very poor grammar in my last post!....I should have checked it before submitting, I really don't talk like that.

Sooverit - I am still here - Yep I started this thread and it's one of the 3 I post to.. I post here - 50's and my Lucky #7 and respond to my pm's.

Ya when I woke up from surgery - my 1st thought was wtf have i done... but as each day went by - it got better and I was lucky it was only 6 wks from my 1st consultation to surgery and I had tons - I mean tons of doctors appointments in those 6 weeks - heck I had my colonoscopy on 7/13 and my surgery was on 7/17...

Yep for me the eating healthy and exercise has been a walk in the park 98% of the time... Do I miss eating large quainties - ya sometimes - do I miss eating sacks of candies - ya sometimes - but you know what - I don't miss them enought to start doing them again - I love feeling 10 yrs younger - I love the way I feel when I get dressed in the morning - I love the way on the weekends I can throw anything thing on as not say to myself - Aw this makes me look fat (like at 250 anything I wore would make me look thinner) I was fat - I know this now... I didn't then - denial isn't a river but a state of mind that we subscribe to..

As far as your grammer - don't worry about it - Heck my spelling is terrible and so is my grammer - my fingers can't keep up with my brain and I am always dropping or leaving out words - or typing no when I mean now - or hear when I meant here.. No english teachers here - this site is for support - we aren't in grade school any longer - great part of being a grown up...

Dear Friends,

Thanks for the kind words. Things are still a bit rough around here. We're waiting to hear whether hubby will have to have heart surgery; I'm still running from doctor to doctor with my parents and attending to all their needs, taking care of my grandson and feeling the horrific impact of what's happened to the economy, - all at the same time. I never thought I'd be in a place like this, never thought growing older would be so tough.

My weight is fair; had the second fill, which did NOT work at all. In fact I felt like I had less restriction than before. I e-mailed the doctor and BEGGED him for help. I think he heard the desparation in my voice and he took me in 8 days later for my 3rd filll. I'm still not restricted enough, haven't hit that "sweet spot" yet, but it's better.

Thank you all for being so supportive. I love you all.

Ellen

Ellen

We Love you and if we could we would help you more - just know that we are here for you... Hugs Janet

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. It's been a funny 2 days - not feeling at all well on Sun or Mon - which I realized yesterday was probably due to the weather fronts, windy and snowing yesterday. Duh. I guess the LB does not automatically make arthritis and fibromyalgia go away overnight! Barometer is up today and I'm feeling much better. Port pain is much better and I'm doing well with full liquids. I'm finding its hard to feel when I've had enough (as if I haven't read about that enough right here!). Consequently I have had some discomfort after eating/drinking my meals. I've reduced my amount of liquid to 1/2 cup at a time and I find that does not overfill, and holds me for 3-4 hours. Janet you are so right about homemade stuff made into a full liquid. DS made vegetable Soup Saturday and brought over plenty for DH and me. I blended mine and it was delicious! Happy to say there was plenty left over and I'm still enjoying it.

I have my check-up with the surgeon on Friday. I think we will both be pleased.

Ellen, I hope you are doing okay. This is such a tough time for you and your family. I know we all wish we could do something more than just send you our words, but you are in lots of prayers these days.

Edited by JoannMarie

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. It's been a funny 2 days - not feeling at all well on Sun or Mon - which I realized yesterday was probably due to the weather fronts, windy and snowing yesterday. Duh. I guess the LB does not automatically make arthritis and fibromyalgia go away overnight! Barometer is up today and I'm feeling much better. Port pain is much better and I'm doing well with full liquids. I'm finding its hard to feel when I've had enough (as if I haven't read about that enough right here!). Consequently I have had some discomfort after eating/drinking my meals. I've reduced my amount of liquid to 1/2 cup at a time and I find that does not overfill, and holds me for 3-4 hours. Janet you are so right about homemade stuff made into a full liquid. DS made vegetable Soup Saturday and brought over plenty for DH and me. I blended mine and it was delicious! Happy to say there was plenty left over and I'm still enjoying it.

I have my check-up with the surgeon on Friday. I think we will both be pleased.

Ellen, I hope you are doing okay. This is such a tough time for you and your family. I know we all wish we could do something more than just send you our words, but you are in lots of prayers these days.

Joann

Yep homemade is so so very much better - another 50 lady told me that in the beginning of my journey and I made homemade broth and froze it prior to my surgery...

I would say that I remember being full on 1/2 c when I was at your stage... Learning what is your new full will take a little bit of time - heck - I still tend to over eat some days even now.. I know I am physically full but it's that mental issue that's still a problem :( sometimes...

I am so glad you are feeling better - take your time - don't rush things each day you will see an improvement..

How is everyone tonite..

My trainer had an appointment - so make up session is Saturday at 9.. So no gym tonite ...

How has everyones day been - 15 days till the big day...

OMW there was tons of sweets in the lunch room today.. So I guess the gifts are coming in now..

Well, here's what I did last year and never gained a pound during the holidays - so I will do it again this year.

I say no to all the treats in the office - but yes to eating some of the Cookies I make with my Granddaughters..

So if you have something special like that - that you know you can't say no to - then just say no to the other stuff that isn't important..

I think I am having a hamburger patty (bbq) veggies and maybe some mashed potatoes tonite..

Well - I guess I should go watch the news and find out what's going on in the world- I haven't watched it much lateley..

CBL :(

Janet.....just checking in. IT IS SNOWING! Now that is a biggy in Houston. Notice, I don't have great news about my weight loss journey. Yes, I am not getting stuck, but I have fallen off the bandwagon the last few days. I made Texas Trash(chex mix) and ate it too. So, now it is all bagged up for gifts and I am back on the wagon. I need to drop a few lbs to get me out of this mood. I guess the fact that tomorrow is my DH's last day at work until ?? They call it a temporary layoff, but also said don't come back until we call. He is an engineer at Dow and there are major cuts coming. That little concern has also triggered my old eating habilts. I am so thankful for your support thread so I can vent. I am also thankful for the band that keeps me somwhat in check. Okay, that's all that is going on.:eek::(

You girls that are having to worry about income, I feel sorry! My family isn't rich but my husband has a good stable (I hope) job with the Telephone Company. Still needs a few years to retire though. Just trying to make it through. Times are tough right now so I hope all of you get through this. Heck our State is in trouble with the Governor! Anyway, Janet I started putting a tree in my bedroom cause I didn't want the kids, GK etc messing with my Swarovski ornaments. Its just a little skinny one about 6 feet tall but it sits in corner and is pretty. Today I went and walked 2.4 miles at the park. It was very cold and windy but the cold doesn't bother me as much when walking,. I walked fast. I had a good day today. I have practically been a saint on this program UNTIL--- today. I got into some cookie dough. I was bad. I went ahead and baked all of them so I could no longer be tempted. I really don't even have much of a sweet tooth. Now I told my dh to hide the Cookies. Anyway see ya all later. Glad to hear you are doing good.

My what a busy day today was. First off was my 2nd day at the 'mini job' and then went straight from there to my volunteer day at the hospital. That was very fun and rewarding today. Usually when I go, I do go visit patients in the hospital that had surgery, it's usually bypass as the banders go home right away. today they had a gal that went in for bypass but had complications and couldn't get the surgery. However, they could do a band so she was going back in late this afternoon or early evening for a band. She was real nervous and hadn't researched it much as she was going for the bypass. So since I was there, they asked me to go talk to her. I walked in and introduced myself, she asked me to sit down and I visited with her for over half an hour answering questions, etc. It was so rewarding to be able to do that and think that I might have made a difference. I also did lots of copying, phone calling and general stuff like that but it was fun. I ran into my surgeon in the hospital between surgeries and he said hi, said I was looking great and asked what I was down to now. I told him I hit my first plateau as I hadn't lost in 3 weeks almost. He said that wasn't a plateau but a 'mini break' and was sure I'd be losing again. He considers a plateau after 6 weeks. I sure hope I lose by then! I think my body is just resting and playing catch up with the losses I've had and needs to regroup before shedding some more. I didn't even lose after my fill last week.

I'm not doing any holiday baking this year so that won't tempt me. We have a big gathering at our home for all of DH's family and I think that will be my time to give myself permission to indulge a little.

Hey Apples:

WOW....128 lbs. amazing!! And ..I have to throw this in...at our age! Did you ever dream this could be a possibility at this age....it's almost impossible to lose weight after age 50 period. I'll be 50 next year and before getting the band I just thought I was doomed to increasing obesity, lowered metabolism with wrinkles and menopause thrown in to really send the message home. wrong...my metabolism is defintely getting a boost from eating this way esp. during this "mushy" stage....eating small meals every few hours. It is such a healthier way to eat. Before it was eat till my insulin spiked then look for some sweets!!

best to you

Hey Sooverit. Thanks. Yes, I never thought the weight would come off withing a year. I started on November 22 last year, banded June 17 and hit goal October 15 this year. I feel wonderful. I know my metabolism is now in full gear as I have been having a little difficulty hanging on to my goal weight. (Never thought that would happen in my lifetime!)

My dr.s are fine with where I am at but I would like to gain about 5lbs. If not, will be satisfied where I am at.

You were mentioning in another post about how time is dragging since surgery...hang in there. Once you start eating solids and start running around again...life will seem normal once again.

Happy to hear things are going good. Just keep focused on a year from now and where you want to be. Happy healing!!!!:lol:

Hey everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! Not ignoring you guys...just tooooooo busy the last few days. Will catch up with everyone tomorrow. Gotta drag my butt to bed so I am alert for my volunteer job at the hospital tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing well. Till tomorrow...........

Janet.....just checking in. IT IS SNOWING! Now that is a biggy in Houston. Notice, I don't have great news about my weight loss journey. Yes, I am not getting stuck, but I have fallen off the bandwagon the last few days. I made Texas Trash(chex mix) and ate it too. So, now it is all bagged up for gifts and I am back on the wagon. I need to drop a few lbs to get me out of this mood. I guess the fact that tomorrow is my DH's last day at work until ?? They call it a temporary layoff, but also said don't come back until we call. He is an engineer at Dow and there are major cuts coming. That little concern has also triggered my old eating habilts. I am so thankful for your support thread so I can vent. I am also thankful for the band that keeps me somwhat in check. Okay, that's all that is going on.:):lol:

Charlene -Snow !!! How neat... We haven't had any in years - but every few yrs one part of the Desert may get some snow. Back in 2000 when I was with DH we got a little snow at his place in Desert Hot Springs..

Hugs GF wish I could do more !!! Vent all you want - cry - yell - rant - rave - whatever you need to do,

Ok eating a little texas trash isn't bad - it's life - well as long as you didn't eat a pound of if :0)...

I know that you are still in the weight loss mode - so you feel that it's bad - but it's not - we gotta quit that mentallity - Moderation - that's what it's all about... But you are right to get back on the Band Wagon once you have allowed yourself a treat... Heck sometimes those treast spur on a weight loss..

Hugs - Enjoy the time you have while DH is off - do things that you ususally don't have time to do together - I know it's easy for me to say - but make the best you can out of this tough situation,,

You girls that are having to worry about income, I feel sorry! My family isn't rich but my husband has a good stable (I hope) job with the Telephone Company. Still needs a few years to retire though. Just trying to make it through. Times are tough right now so I hope all of you get through this. Heck our State is in trouble with the Governor! Anyway, Janet I started putting a tree in my bedroom cause I didn't want the kids, GK etc messing with my Swarovski ornaments. Its just a little skinny one about 6 feet tall but it sits in corner and is pretty. Today I went and walked 2.4 miles at the park. It was very cold and windy but the cold doesn't bother me as much when walking,. I walked fast. I had a good day today. I have practically been a saint on this program UNTIL--- today. I got into some cookie dough. I was bad. I went ahead and baked all of them so I could no longer be tempted. I really don't even have much of a sweet tooth. Now I told my dh to hide the Cookies. Anyway see ya all later. Glad to hear you are doing good.

Becky - Glad you are exercising that will counter act the cookie dough - again that little bit of dough isn't going to put on 5 lbs or even 1 - heck like I told Charlene those little treats sometime will improve your weight loss..

I have a perfect corner for that tree of yours - I may just have to do something like than next year...

My what a busy day today was. First off was my 2nd day at the 'mini job' and then went straight from there to my volunteer day at the hospital. That was very fun and rewarding today. Usually when I go, I do go visit patients in the hospital that had surgery, it's usually bypass as the banders go home right away. today they had a gal that went in for bypass but had complications and couldn't get the surgery. However, they could do a band so she was going back in late this afternoon or early evening for a band. She was real nervous and hadn't researched it much as she was going for the bypass. So since I was there, they asked me to go talk to her. I walked in and introduced myself, she asked me to sit down and I visited with her for over half an hour answering questions, etc. It was so rewarding to be able to do that and think that I might have made a difference. I also did lots of copying, phone calling and general stuff like that but it was fun. I ran into my surgeon in the hospital between surgeries and he said hi, said I was looking great and asked what I was down to now. I told him I hit my first plateau as I hadn't lost in 3 weeks almost. He said that wasn't a plateau but a 'mini break' and was sure I'd be losing again. He considers a plateau after 6 weeks. I sure hope I lose by then! I think my body is just resting and playing catch up with the losses I've had and needs to regroup before shedding some more. I didn't even lose after my fill last week.

I'm not doing any holiday baking this year so that won't tempt me. We have a big gathering at our home for all of DH's family and I think that will be my time to give myself permission to indulge a little.

Lori - So glad that you could help someone - I know the rewards of giving - it truly is better than receiving :0)

Great plan - Indulge at your family gathering - that's how you do it..

I bet now with your new mini job which includes the added exercise you will see the scales move.. Vary your calories each day - eat healthy & exercise it will come off..

Hey everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! Not ignoring you guys...just tooooooo busy the last few days. Will catch up with everyone tomorrow. Gotta drag my butt to bed so I am alert for my volunteer job at the hospital tomorrow.

Apples

I was in bed by 8:30 last night :tt2:

Good Morning Gang - Just cking in to see how you are all doing and it sounds like everyone is doing GREAT !!!

I gotta get some work done - so off I go - but will check back later - Enjoy your day..

is this the volunteer job where you schedule the volunteers? That would be tough. I don't get too involved with the volunteers at the hospital where I volunteer at. I just have to go in the volunteer office to check in, get my parking validation then all my time is spent in the bariatric office. However, from chatter I hear in there, they all have their definite likes and dislikes of what they will and won't do. We get free valet parking and a free lunch on days we volunteer, do you get that? The other bariatric volunteer and I were joking on the phone yesterday (she couldnt' come in yesterday) that we'd 'do lunch' next week. For cafeteria food it's not bad either.

Thanks Janet for the encouraging words about my weight loss stall. I know in time the scale has to move again. I guess I am feeling pressured because of the Biggest Loser challenge I am in at the rec center. Currently I am in first place by 1%. Our final weigh in is Monday. There is $700 in the pot and it's winner take all. So I want the scale to move by Monday! I feel a little puffy so may take one of my Water pills this week if it doesn't dissapate by then. Maybe that will give me a little shove in the right direction on the scale. I used to take them daily for my b/p but since it's normal now I don't take them so often. So is it too much to ask for the scale to move by then? :lol: That would buy a lot of new clothes! :)

Thanks Janet for the encouraging words about my weight loss stall. I know in time the scale has to move again. I guess I am feeling pressured because of the Biggest Loser challenge I am in at the rec center. Currently I am in first place by 1%. Our final weigh in is Monday. There is $700 in the pot and it's winner take all. So I want the scale to move by Monday! I feel a little puffy so may take one of my Water pills this week if it doesn't dissapate by then. Maybe that will give me a little shove in the right direction on the scale. I used to take them daily for my b/p but since it's normal now I don't take them so often. So is it too much to ask for the scale to move by then? :lol: That would buy a lot of new clothes! :)

Lori

Hell I would take 2 fricken Water pills and some laxatives to win the $700 !!!

OK girl get your butt in gear... You want that $700!!!!

Hey Long....try not to get discouraged with your plateau....I had a few of them during my year of losing...try doing the 5 day pouch test that Phyll talked about. It just might kick start you. HOPE YOU WIN!!!!!!

My volunteer jobs entails: Scheduling all the volunteers (I do my calender at home), filing medical records and putting in order b/4 filing, ordering for gift shop and setting up gift shop once orders come in, etc., etc., etc. I love it and I still am able to somewhat keep up at home. My DH loves the fact that I don't have a "real" job anymore. It's been 9 yrs since I sold my businesses. With farming 2000 acres and having another full time business on the side, I shouldn't be working. I volunteer cuz it's good to give back, plus, I get to see some "real" people three times a week! LOL

Have my lap band support group Christmas party tonight. I am making scallops and shrimp. Have been marinating since yesterday morning. For gifts I am bringing Oikos yogurt (since everyone wants to try it but have never picked it up) and a box of Pure Protein Bars. Got cute ornaments on my Christmas shopping trip yesterday to put on the packages. Should be a fun time. My DH was joking and asked if we all are assigned to bring 1/2 cup of food.

Better get after it. Have 7 guys at my kitchen table and time to get after the dishes. You all have a great day!

OK...one more thing...we are done with farming for the year...I swear my husband stands out by the mailbox waving people in and inviting them to eat!!!!!!!!!!!