Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new to this any sugestions

hello my name is trudi and im new to this website i just happen to stumble on it by accident lol im in the process of going through the steps needed to get lapbanding done iv had my 6 months weight management already and waitng for the insurance to get back in touch to figure out what to do next iv been overweight almost all my adult life im almost 36 im 5 foot 3 and weigh as of today 263 i really started gaining weight after my oldest daughter was born shes 11 years old i also have a 6 year old to im defidently ready for the road im traveling but im scared that i wont be able keep up with it once i get the banding done iv always been able to lose weight mostley by starving myself but have always put it plus more on im scared i might fail at this attemp like i do every other time does or did any1 else ever feel this way too and is this normal and also my kids know im having surgery sometime soon hopefully but they dont know what kind what should i tell them if any1 has any answers please let me know thanks:mad:

I suggest you be honest and tell the truth to anyone who ask, including your kids. My husband pastor's a church and I told three members about it and word spread really fast. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback and now there are several members considering lapband. I know people who have lied and told others they started excercising and eating right. I don't see the point of lying because you have to remember what you said. So be honest.

Hi Trudi and welcome to LBT! Almost all of us here have felt the same way you do at one point or another on our journey towards being banded. The fear of failure is only natural because we have all failed so many times with traditional dieting attempts. The difference this time is that you are going to have the benefit of a wonderful tool in the Lap Band that will make it very difficult to fail.

Look around these boards and you will find loads of support and motivation. Be sure to check out the before and after pictures. They are a great source of inspiration. Good luck to you!

Welcome, Trudi! You are about to enter the most exciting part of your life! I was banded 2/1/08, and would do it a thousand times over! It's the absolute best tool!

I have a few suggestions for you. First, be patient. There are some immediate benefits regarding appetite immediately after surgery, but they do fade. It then takes time and 3 to 4 fills to begin to received the full benefit. I've had four fills, and can literally not eat more than a cup of food at a time, no matter how badly I may want to.

Second, remember that the band is a TOOL, not the food police! It is possible to GAIN weight with the band if you don't eat the right foods. Lots of bad foods like ice cream and fried foods will slide right through. It's your responsibility to make wise food choices. The band only limits the quantity, not the quality of choices you make.

Third, don't be afraid of failure. You absolutely should never give up trying. I firmly believe that the band is my lifetime solution, and it could be yours, too. You will see both positive and negative things about the band on this forum. We all have bad days, but I've never seen anyone write that they wish they hadn't had the surgery.

Check back in occassionally, and let us know how you're doing. This group truly cares!

Hi Kjeter,

you seem like you know what you're doing !! I was banded 2/27/08, have had two fills and have a question for ya. Sometimes I feel very restricted and other times not (and it's not consistent with the time of day either). For instance, I had my second fill on 5/4 and the last week, the restriction seems greatly diminished even though I really didn't lose that much (5 pounds). Now today it's a little better again. I'm wondering if this is REAL or is this in my head? For instance, it was memorial day weekend and I know I associate "holidays" with food. But then I noticed you said you can't eat more than a cup of food no matter what. I'm not at that point, I don't think. Any thoughts, advice?

Well, I was banded almost four weeks before you, and I have had four fills, now at 7.4cc in a 10cc band. I didn't have much restriction until this last fill, but WOW! was it ever a good one! In fact, I'm thinking of cancelling my next fill appt. I can't decide... should I go in just to check in even if I don't think I need a fill?

And yes, I mean I literally cannot eat more than a cup of food. Last night we had friends over for a cookout, which is my favorite thing to do. I fixed my plate, already telling myself that it was a holiday, so okay to be a little bad. I had about 3 ounces of grilled salmon, some cole slaw and 2 deviled eggs on my plate. I REALLY wanted to finish it because it was soooo good, but absolutely could not. I think that's the coolest damned thing ever. I guarantee you nothing would have stopped me before!

Dear Kjeter,

That is very encouraging !! I can't wait for my next fill (June 17). I feel restricted most of the time but I think it could be more and for all day (instead of mostly in the morning and early afternoon). But I do know that feeling of wanting to eat more than you can. It's weird isn't it? Regarding whether you should miss your next appointment, I would still go to the appointment and he/she will evaluate whether you need a fill or not. I heard that lack of followup is one of the main reasons for band failure. So would probably be good just to check in.