Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded May 23rd and have felt so many different emotions since the surgery. I never imagined that recovery would be slower than I thought. I was to return back to work today, I ended up taking today and tomorrow off. I miss eating, however, I think I would do about anything to have a few sips of Pepsi right now. I had only given pop up for about 2 weeks prior to surgery. I know it sounds stupid that I could cry for a pop. Thanks for listening. Angie

Iunderstand how tough it can be. I used to be a diet coke addict and craved it like crazy after my surgery. But, you know what, after I finally did have a small drink of one I realized I didn't like it anymore. It tasted thick and yucky to me.

I was banded 4/17 and had diet coke my 5th week after surgery, before fill. Had diet coke, then had acid reflux so bad 24 hours, I was cured. Want no more lol! Guess I had to go thru it to know it---my hard head!

Patches :)

I was banded on 5/22 and miss Diet Coke like crazy. I gave it up when I went on my liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery, but now I want it bad. Something about not being able to have it makes me want it even more.

I also miss drinking out of a straw.

i didn't give up my diet Pepsi until the day before my surgery. that's how addicted i was. stay strong. there is a good reason that you're unable to have carbonation and not being healed yet is the worst thing you could do.

do i miss diet Pepsi? absolutely! do i crave it like i used to? nope! it gets easier, i promise.

I too cry for pepsi! ice cold regular pepsi... =*(

Never fear, you will get past these cravings. I was, in my opinion, addicted to diet coke prior to my band. I had one about an hour before the cutoff time for eating and drinking prior to surgery. Afterwards, I thought for sure that would be the one thing I could not give up. But, then one day I tried a little. Just a sip or two, and it's hard to explain, but it just isn't the same at all. It's not satisfying, and you couldn't even THINK of taking anything more than a tiny sip at a time, so you don't get to enjoy it. I've had three or four sips since then (really! that's all!) and I can honestly say that I don't miss it at all. What do I miss??? Well, I've lost 40 pounds somewhere, and can't seem to find them! Of course, I'm not really looking very hard. LOL

Kristine

The Woodlands, TX

Banded since November, 2007

I was a major diet pepsi addict, 1-3 44oz a day. I can't stand the flavor of it now. And yes I did try to drink it, it just isn't the same, don't crave it anymore after I tried it. I am a huge Water drinker now. I am also enjoying the money I save each month now that I am no longer addicted.

I would lo0ve a pepsi too, been banded for 3 months. i took a sip of one the kids and I thought my stomach would explode. Sure cured that addiction. I still want one though. I just think of the pop rocks and soda myth, exploding stomach. Thats how it feels

I am on my way to getting approved for lap band surgery. It too will have a hard time with not being able to have an ice cold Dr. Pepper. I think I will need to start cleaning out my system prior to surgery. At least the surgeon said I could still have coffee as long as I continued to use splenda and not sugar. I suppose the soda cravings will subside eventually. I think it will be Crystal Light for me instead of Dr. Pepper:smile2:

I know it sounds stupid that I could cry for a pop. Thanks for listening. Angie.

I hear ya' sister. I could go for an ice cold Diet Pepsi like nobody's business. But I am too scared...:sad:

I haven't been banded yet, and I went to a support group meeting tonight. Everyone looked so dedicated with their bottles of Water in front of them, and there I sat with my large diet coke from Burger King...I felt sorta bad drinking it in front of the banders, but enjoyed every drop!:biggrin2: I'll give it up when the time is right without any problems, but for now I'll enjoy it.

I am not banded yet, but giving up soda was my first major fear. In fact, when I was first researching the band in January, I clicked off all lapband websites as soon as I read "no carbonated beverages" under "The Rules." LOL. I thought there wasn't a chance in you know where that I could kick my Diet Coke habit.

When it started to get hot and I realized it was going to be ANOTHER summer without tank tops and shorts because I'm too fat, I started looking at the lapband websites again. This time, I decided to not think about the band but to experiment and "just see" if I could give up Diet Coke -- if for no other reason than to see if I could do it.

I'm happy to say that I have been Diet Coke free since March 17.

I have, however, tasted Diet Coke since I kicked the habit and it was NASTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. I mean, it tasted like pure chemicals and NOTHING like how I remember it to be.

So, I'm not telling you to try it because I don't want you to feel like your stomach pouch will explode, but I am saying that it's probably not as good as you remember, so please don't feel like you're missing out on anything. You are so totally NOT missing out. That stuff is gross.

You will be able to have it again Angie. I passed the time with tea and crystal light. I drank so much of it that I had depleted my magnesium level. I never knew why my legs hurt so bad that I could hardly stand the first 2 days of each monthly cycle. My nutritionist had me supplement magnesium and I no longer have the problem. I can have soda now but I very rarely do and don't even finish a can or small cup. The remembrance of the cramps, the possible links to this and that from the artificial sweetener just don't make it worth it very often anymore. This WILL happen for you also. I know it will. Hang in there.