Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not suitable for LAP Banding? :(

So glad it worked out for you!! Keep us up to date :(

Hi All!

Just a lil update for you all, had my appoint with the doc this afternoon and he finally referred me for surgery! Barrier 1 down.....woooo!! its just a waiting game till i get the next appointment letter through for consultation with the surgeon.

Thanks to you all for your advice and suggestions!!

Yay, wish you lots of luck.:(

My BMI is 71.7 or so, 444 lbs and 5'6". When I told my surgeon I wanted Lap-Band from the first time I met him, he never once mentioned bypass. My high BMI was never a concern to him either. He told me that surgeons who refuse to operate on people with a BMI over 50 are just trying to make the surgery easier for themselves to perform--it's not a matter of your own safety. If you run into a surgeon who won't band you, find someone else. You ARE a candidate, you just need to find a non-douche surgeon!

You ARE a candidate, you just need to find a non-douche surgeon!

DAMN RIGHT!!!:(

My BMI is 71.7 or so, 444 lbs and 5'6". When I told my surgeon I wanted Lap-Band from the first time I met him, he never once mentioned bypass. My high BMI was never a concern to him either. He told me that surgeons who refuse to operate on people with a BMI over 50 are just trying to make the surgery easier for themselves to perform--it's not a matter of your own safety. If you run into a surgeon who won't band you, find someone else. You ARE a candidate, you just need to find a non-douche surgeon!
DAMN RIGHT!!!:thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup: Thanks!!

And i have:biggrin::lol::biggrin:, i have found a surgeon who im happy with and am going to book a consultation with (self paying). Two reasons as much as i would like to get the op on the nhs for free, i really dont know how long i will be waiting for. Doing some research it could be anything from 6 months to 3yrs!!!

having spoken to other people who have had the operation with the same surgeon, you could have the op as soon as a week after the consultation! I would like to provisionally book the op around sept time for two main reasons...

1. to drop some weight, anything i can loose will be an advantage.

2. to give me a chance to save up

But in saying the above i will still wait and see what happens between now and sept with my GP referral. :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::biggrin::laugh:

Well I am so glad that things worked or should I say Working out for you. I just hope your insurance will pay for it. I only had mine for 1 month going on 2 and believe me, it's a life saver for me and I believe it will be one for you..

:thumbup::thumbup: Thanks!!

And i have:biggrin::lol::biggrin:, i have found a surgeon who im happy with and am going to book a consultation with (self paying). Two reasons as much as i would like to get the op on the nhs for free, i really dont know how long i will be waiting for. Doing some research it could be anything from 6 months to 3yrs!!!

having spoken to other people who have had the operation with the same surgeon, you could have the op as soon as a week after the consultation! I would like to provisionally book the op around sept time for two main reasons...

1. to drop some weight, anything i can loose will be an advantage.

2. to give me a chance to save up

But in saying the above i will still wait and see what happens between now and sept with my GP referral. :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::biggrin::laugh:

Yay congrats. :thumbup: I should be finishing up all my crap in Oct and having surgery in Nov.

Hi GG

I know that this response is a little late. I just read it. If you are still looking for a lapband doctor or weighing costs of affordability. I had my lapband done by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana for under $8,000. He is a leader in the lap band arena. He has trained many physicians worldwide including a majority within the U.S. He has a book titled: Lap Band For Life which can be purchased on Amazon and you can also google him and his web page will give you further info. You may have too pay a little more for an airplane ticket but if you research him a bit. You will find that he is a leader in the field and has had great results. Best wishes in your pursuit.

Gracey

Hi Gracey!

Thanks for the response, I have heard a lot about dr otiz. Although the price sounds really good, my worry would be about aftercare and if anything went wrong, it would be diffiucult to get back, especially it being so far from home. I have managed to find a surgeon who will do the op for me, the op would take place in europe (which would be appox 2 hrs travelling time from UK) and all my aftercare would be followed up in UK. The price is appox just over $6000, and have had lots of recc from people who have had it done by him.

Thanks for the advice though, I really appreciate you taking the time out to respond.

How far in your lapband journey are you?

xx

I originally picked a surgeon that was close to home, he really pushed for me to have a RNY (because that's what he prefers to do). I didn't want to put myself at that kind of risk (I'm a total whimp and I've never had surgery) so, I found a doctor that ONLY did Lap Band.

He's a wonderful surgeon with a lot of banding experience, he's from Norway....he's just adorable! I can't wait to get approved for my surgery!!!

My PCP said a big NO to RNY she thinks it's too risky, she also feels that with the upcoming research in weight loss having something that is not able to be easily reversed is silly. I totally agree.

I'm glad it's all working out for you GG :smile:

Hi everyone,

My BMI is over 50 but the surgeon never suggested I was unsuitable for the lap band.

I had my choice of two surgeons who practice within a half-hour's drive from my home. I picked the further one (Dr. Robin Woodhead)even though he's a little more expensive because the nearer one (Dr. W. Leung) is quite old, I've heard, and has a poor bedside manner. Of course, surgical skill is of paramount importance but I want my surgeon to continue practicing for at least a number of years after my operation and the last thing I need to hear from my weight loss surgeon is that I shouldn't have stuffed my fat face, or words to that effect (I've heard he said that to someone).

I had to balance these things with the fact that the further surgeon has only done about 40 lap band surgeries, as opposed to over 300 for the closer one. But with that much experience and the fact I have no comorbidities, I am reasonably confident with my choice.

Of course, that doesn't take into account that I am terrified of dying while under general anaesthetic, but no surgeon's experience could rid me of that, I think.

Edited by lottacash
clarification

i think the doctors on the nhs (national health service) in the uk, are very ignorant! As soon as they see a BMI in the 50's its Gastric bypass...absolutely ridiculous. Just because they fund it..(if you are lucky) they think they can tell you what to do. Its my body and if i don't feel comfortable im not doing something i don't want.

Good luck with your journey xx

Hi:

I see that you have quite road to getting approved for the Lap-Band. We have talked on another forum, and I am in the process of losing 20 lbs before my banding surgeon will set a date for the surgery. I was really frustrated yesterday when he told me this, but I understand it will reduce the size of my liver.

I had been to another surgeon who said he does not do the Lap-Band on people with BMI over 45. My BMI is 50.2.

Good luck with your weight loss and your banding. Once I figure out how to put a weight loss ticker with my signiture, I will be able to track my progress.

I am looking forward to more posts from Travel Lady, particularly because she is 59. I'm 62 and am concerned my age will create problems with my surgery. My sister, who is 58, had her band put on two years ago, at the age of 56. BTW, my BMI is about 56 and my sister's was over 50 too. Two years out she's lost 132 pounds.

Hi ladies!

Yes it has been quite a journey, and to think i havent even been banded yet. But i am well and truly on my way which is the important part. Anne was this 20lbs part of your pre op diet phase? Or 20lbs before he would give you a date?

Please dont let age put you off banding, but rather think about how many more blessed years will be added on to your lifes by getting it done. Lottacash, your sister is living proof and like so many other on thsi site that it really does work if you work with the band. im sure she feels much better in all senses that she has gotten that much weight off.

I wish you all the best in your journeys!

xxx