Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not suitable for LAP Banding? :(

Keep trying. I started at 398 lbs. at 5'8", so I think your doctor is full of it.

I defiantly will keep trying, if my doc thinks i'm giving up that easily he has another thing coming. Will let you know how it goes on Fri :smile2:

How long ago did you get banded tricia? Have your losses been good?

I'm 5'9" and 383. At my inital consult my dr said he wanted me to weigh in with my family dr for 3 months than come back. He said some drs would push for gastric bypass but that he would say that lap band was good given my age (32) and I don't want gastirc bypass (would love the immediate weight loss bus thats about it). Maybe try to get your BMI at a more acceptable level for the dr (I know easier said than done, I KNOW!!) GOOD LUCK!!

Hi!

I'm the same, would love the weight loses of gastric bypass but not the procedure!! But in saying that i would be very happy if i lost 2lbs a week if i got banded. I am still trying to loose weight at the mo, but my problem is: i loose it, put it back on again, loose it, put it back on again. How much did your doc ask you to loose before you had the procedure?

I'm 5'9" and 383. At my inital consult my dr said he wanted me to weigh in with my family dr for 3 months than come back. He said some drs would push for gastric bypass but that he would say that lap band was good given my age (32) and I don't want gastirc bypass (would love the immediate weight loss bus thats about it). Maybe try to get your BMI at a more acceptable level for the dr (I know easier said than done, I KNOW!!) GOOD LUCK!!

My BMI starting was 61.9 and i started at 419 pounds. I start month 2 of my 6 month diet for insurance on June 4th and I'm already down to 410.5. Well I am probably less now but I don't get weighed again until the 4th. My surgeon thinks this surgery is perfect for me. People my size and even bigger/smaller have lost with this surgery and I am so looking forward to having it sometime around November! Good luck!

Also I forgot to say I'm 5'9 LOL

Edited by froggi1985
added to

Hi GG, my advice is to go to a different surgeon. The surgeon needs to be experienced and competent with either procedure and you need to be comfortable under his/her care.

I am 5'4 and started at 379lbs, BMI 65. My surgeon is in a General Surgery practice that takes the bariatric patients that are higher risk. They are a great group of guys. My surgeon was very patient with me and all of my questions, and told me that he would not suggest either procedure. He wanted to make sure that I knew the benefits and risks of both procedures, and the decision was mine. I had already made up my mind for the lapband.

Good luck and keep posting!

Cherlita

379/337/180

banded 11.27.07

I'm 5ft 4 and weighed 373 prior surgery. I've heard that some doctors feel that if you're over a certain weight or BMI (I guess whatever number they personally decide on) that they feel you need the more drastic Gastric Bypass to successfully lose weight, or that with other issues (HBP, etc) you need the quickest approach to getting your health back in order, regardless of what the "side effects" could be with GBP. My brother had the GBP, and has been extremely successful with no real complications. I looked at that operation myself ,but it wasnt for me. I went to a doctor that only focuses on the Lap Band, so there were no questions about which one I should go with, he only recommends one.

Either the doctor will come to your way of thinking, or at the least you'll understand his reasoning better, and then move on to a doctor willing to work with you on what you want.

Best of luck to you!

Tina

Thank you all for the reponses!

It is really good to know that others have been around my weight and have had the procedure done, and ARE loosing weight. How did you all find it adjusting to the your new diets after surgery was done?

and how are you finding it adjustung to your new and changing bodies? I did the cambridge diet last yr and lost nearly 3 stone, but although i knew i had lost the weight i mentally didnt feel that i had lost anything. I dont know if it was because i was quite big and needed to loose more before i noticed...i dont know. I have been overweight since i can remember, the only time i remeber being average weight was about 7/8 yrs old. I know it seems weird but i can really picture myself being a size 12/14 because all i have known is being big.

Edited by gg2007BandSTAR
To add to post

My surgery was Tuesday. I came home yesterday. I think I am going to live. I have not had a lot of pain. Or, the pain meds are taking care of what pain I do have. I haven't been hungry at all. I do still have the worst sore throat of my life. I am very glad that it is over. Now the fun begins. To answer your question, it took me about 15 weeks to lose the 48 lbs. I am sure getting the 48 lbs off made the surgery a lot safer. Good luck to you!

Hi Sydney.

Im glad surgery went well! I was hoping you would come back and give us an update. I wish you a speedy recovery! :wink2:

My surgery was Tuesday. I came home yesterday. I think I am going to live. I have not had a lot of pain. Or, the pain meds are taking care of what pain I do have. I haven't been hungry at all. I do still have the worst sore throat of my life. I am very glad that it is over. Now the fun begins. To answer your question, it took me about 15 weeks to lose the 48 lbs. I am sure getting the 48 lbs off made the surgery a lot safer. Good luck to you!

I'm 5'7" and was 380. I agree with you on the bits of stomach thing... I just didn't agree with permanentely altering my body. You never know what technology we'll have in 20 or 30 years....

Thanks for all the replys everyone. I have booked another appointment with my doctor to see what excatly what his reasons are, and if he still refuses i will see another doctor. Good luck with your surgery Sydney! Wish you all the best x

by the way how long did it take you to loose 48lbs?

H

I sent you a pm of my story..But I am sorry, You are more of a candiate with the lapband then you are with the Gastric..My dr and I don't like the Gastric. I have an uncle that did it and he looks terriable and is having problems with his by threwing up all the time. I was heavy when I got banded on april 14 08 and I am down 31 lbs and it'sbeen 1 month already.

So please don't let the Dr tell you differently..He just wants more money..Mine cost me 14,000 and I was a self payer..Keep trying and good luck!!!

Kristy

Hi All!

Just a lil update for you all, had my appoint with the doc this afternoon and he finally referred me for surgery! Barrier 1 down.....woooo!! its just a waiting game till i get the next appointment letter through for consultation with the surgeon.

Thanks to you all for your advice and suggestions!!