Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How painful was the surgery for you?

I was just wondering what everyones pain tolerance is and how they felt afterwards? Was it only minor pain for you personally or was it that bad you had to have morphine? I've heard alot of different experiences, some had really bad pain at the shoulder tip from the gas but others only had to take panadol. Personally I don't think it will be painful in the least for me, I mean yes at the surgery scars it will definetly be uncomfortable but I've also had 2 lung biopsies which are excruciating and have had 2 chest tubes put in while awake (although I did have local to numb the pain and a little bit of morphine) and that was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. So just wanted to know everyones opinion! Thanks

For me it wasn't painful at all. The faster you can start walking, walking, and walking, the better off I think you will be. I had read so much from people on here telling me to walk that I literally walked from just outside the recovery room door back to my little cubical (mine was outpatient). I stayed with my brother who has the sympathy of a rock...and he forced to to walk every hour on the hour. I thanked him when I heard stories of people having lots of pain in their shoulder. A heating pad will also help with some of the pain. I never found that gas-x did anything. If you have a high pain tolerance you should be fine. This was my second laproscopic surgery and it was about the same. I honestly think my 10 bouts with kidney stones were WAAAAAAAAAY worse!

Believe me the pain lasts for a week, the benefits will last for life!

I was just wondering what everyones pain tolerance is and how they felt afterwards? Was it only minor pain for you personally or was it that bad you had to have morphine? I've heard alot of different experiences, some had really bad pain at the shoulder tip from the gas but others only had to take panadol. Personally I don't think it will be painful in the least for me, I mean yes at the surgery scars it will definetly be uncomfortable but I've also had 2 lung biopsies which are excruciating and have had 2 chest tubes put in while awake (although I did have local to numb the pain and a little bit of morphine) and that was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. So just wanted to know everyones opinion! Thanks

Hi Sarah!

I was very lucky with very little pain. I took one vicoden the day I came home and thats it. The only cut that is still a little sore is the port incision. I feel some pulling when I eat but thats ok it must have to do with the healing process.

I, also had a good experience. Not sure what my pain level really is, but I'm not whimp. Also had kidney stones, lithotripsies, and 3 children with no drugs. All I can say is this was a piece of cake for me. Never touched the morphine at the hospital, nor the vicoden at home. Used tylenol. It helped with what I felt was more "discomfort". Within a week I was back at work and had no problems at all. I, also, walked as much as possible right from the beginning. I had lost 30 pounds prior to surgery, and followed all the instructions. Not sure how much any of that made a difference, but it might have helped some. I'd had laproscopic gall bladder surgery. This was even easier then that. I've read of others having more problems, but it seems plenty of us breeze right through it. Hope you do as well!

I was blessed and didn't have much pain either. I was only out of work a few days, I did sleep in the recliner two nights cause it was easier. I have to tell ya, I had more gas pain and general pain with my C-sections! I have heard that others have gone through more so I am sure the pain issues are very individual :)

I was uncomfortable when I woke up from surgery. It wasn't bad at all, I was just surprised because for some reason I had expected that whatever they gave me during surgery would keep me completely pain free for awhile.

I should have started taking pain meds as soon as I got home but I made the mistake of waiting until I actually felt pain, and if you wait until then, pain meds aren't as effective. I didn't sleep very well that first night because I was very uncomfortable - I guess I would call it painful. I was mildly uncomfortable the next day. But the 2nd night I slept like the dead and never really felt any pain after that, except I've been having port pain. I never had the shoulder pain that some people suffer with.

I actually had a fair amount of pain. It was manageable but it was painful. I had gas pain for the first 3 days and then some muscle pain for another three days. There was nothing that was debiliating but I was a bit surprised that the pain lasted as long as it did. Now...it was far less pain that my gallbladder surgery but a totally different kind of pain for me.

I can't stress enough how important it is to walk, walk, walk! It was a real benefit to my recovery. I was on pain medication every 4-6 hours for three days, then I stopped except for bedtime. After nine days out I'm still quite sore but I walk everyday and take an over the counter pain reliever. My surgeon feels that I may have pulled an abdomenal muscle...which makes sense.

Mine was not too bad. Every day the pain became milder and milder. I didn't even use all of the paid med the MD prescribe me. It looks like my experience is the norm. Whatever it is, I hope your experience will be as good as mine has been! SS

I was banded 4 days ago and it has been pretty painful physically and emotionally as well. I am still on my pain meds and it is hard for me to get up and walk (I know I should do more of).

Just wanted to let you know that it is not that easy for everyone!

I was nauseous the first day and a half post op. Adequate pain relief with liquid Vicodin and motrin.

Day 3 I was out working (gently) in the garden.