Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obese student

Ok all, I was wondering what you would do? I have a 3 yr. old boy in my preschool class who is VERY obese. His father will pick him up at lunch and take him to burger king because he wont eat what we serve.(healthy meals) Everyone in his family is very obese. I have to talk to parents all the time about their children, how they are doing with class work, behavior and all that fun stuff. But I have never had to talk to a parent about their overweight child. The children are already leaving him out of things and asking why his stomach sticks out so far. I can't believe this starts at age 3. He can't climb the outside equipment unless I or my aide is there to help lift his legs onto the steps.

We have had many class discussions about how everyone is different and not to make fun of someone different from you.

I feel I need to say something but how do I bring this up when I am obese myself? I was not a obese child. I did this to myself when I should have known better.

I am concerned for this little boy. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Gosh..thats really tuff, Maybe u should talk to the director of your preschool and see if they have any ideas

I am a Middle School behavior Disorder teacher. I talk to parents every day, and most of them are angry because I am calling them at work, or home, because of their children. I sometimes get cussed out, but for the most part what I try to do is ask the parent what they suggest we do to try to help their kids. Some say that they don't know toehrs have plenty of suggestions. What I have learned is that as long as you make your comments in a nonoffensive, nonaggresive way, even thought they aren't positive parents are more abt to listen. What I would do is ask the parents if he has difficuty moving around at home, becaue you have to assist him on the play area because of his weight issues. Also tell them that it has been difficult for the children to include him in play activities because of the weight as well. Like playing dodge ball, or kick ball or anything that they exclude him out of. Tell them as well that you have implemented several lesson plans that talks about diversity of individuals, and making fun of people, and bullying etc. Ask them if they have any ideas of things that you can do at school to help include him more. Tell them that you are concerned about his physical and social health. Find out if there are any dieticians, or anything that social services can do to help them see a dietician, or maybe get him into a activity program after school, so that he can run around more, or something. The fact that you are obese too can be used for you not against you.

WoW that is tough but I would have to say I agree with CarmelDiva as long as you approach it in a non negative way hopefully they will see what they are doing to him..

My neice is pretty chunky and in 1st grade the other kids are already teasing her and it just breaks my heart to see her cry but her parents are no help even though they see it.. So Sad

Thank you!! I talked with everyone today and we are going to set upa meeting next week. I still am not sure what to say. Thank you for your replies. :)

What if you approached it along this line. "Mr. (or Mrs.)___________. I wanted to talk to you about ___________(little boy). I was just a little bit worried because he wont eat what we are serving at school. I know some of the foods we serve aren't liked by all of the children, but for the most part they go over very well, are very healthy and we only use fresh ingredients so we know the food is of the best quality. Is there something we could do to help him try the foods we serve so that you don't have to go to the trouble of taking him out after school. I'm sure that must be expensive, and we all know that some of the fast food restaurants don't offer the best quality foods."

If there was some way to get the father to think that it was his idea... I don't know what I'd do about the whole family being obese though.

the new food pyramids and supporting information might allow for a good foundation for the discussion.

with reasonable certainty, the nutrition provided for the children will fall within the recommendations, and the burger king supplement won't . . .

(on a side note, 'my pyramid' didn't coincide with my dr.'s recommendations for me, but what he's suggested is working -- i'm gladly sticking with it.)