Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Come out of the band failure closet!

SDBEACH ~ How else would you expect those who have achieved success and the newbies, like myself, to react except in a "rah rah" manner? Otherwise what would be the point? Of course I don't think two people may approach putting the band to work in the exact same way and other factors have to be taken into consideration but I see quite a few success stories in various threads and the simple law of loss = eat less, move more - cannot very well be disregarded. This band has equipped me both mentally and physically to learn to put this into practice. Some of the success has a lot to do with outlook and as for me, I refuse to be disuaded.

Well, you have brought up a lot of really good points. Sounded like me 5 years ago. Follow the band rules, and you will be great! haha

I wish I could take back all the rah rah stuff.

You can have all the right answers and do the right things when your band is adjusted and working properly. Mostly.....

And I say that with hesitation because we wouldn't have needed a weight loss "tool" in the first place if we could control our appetites and urges.

Therefore using logic we must come to a conclusion that this "tool" might not work for everyone in the same way. Or the "magic" may not last forever.

Or, we may not hit the magic number we were hoping for and have to settle for what we achieved.

Sometimes things just go wrong, or maybe we just go wrong. That's real life.

It's wonderful to be able to reach nirvana, but lest we may fall back or not get to that great place, one might want to hold back on the "I'm so glad I am doing beautifully, and will forever, and you must be a failure for not heeding the information we all signed at surgery rant.

I know what we read at the beginning, and I pray no one has to feel this failure and shame.

Do just a bit more research and look at the 5 year mark for both surgeries. And write back in 5 years.......

Good Luck Everyone! I wish you all pain free happy days.

What a perfect Post sb.

As for it being too hot outside to exercise. Exercise inside. Saying it's too hot outside is a huge excuse when you can do stuff inside too. Buy some walking in place videos, some jogging videos, pilates, yoga, aerobics, weight training. It isn't that hard. I hardly ever exercise outside, mostly inside in my basement in front of a TV, and it does me just fine. The weather is no excuse not to do SOME kind of exercise.

I never thought I would be successful with the band. I lost 22 lbs on the post op diet and nothing for months afterward. It was when I had my doctor do the resting metabolic test that I found out exactly how many calories per day I could eat and how much exercise I needed to do to lose weight. The test showed that I have a very slow metabolism but weight loss is still possible. I definitely lost much slower than others and still went on long plateaus, but eventually, I got the weight off.

Brandy, how is your daughter doing? I am sure she knows that even though with gastric bypass weight loss is fast and easy in the beginning, but that the new pouch can be stretched out.

I have so many friends that got so skinny with gastric bypass and have gained most of their weight back now that about 5 years has gone by. I sincerely hope that is not my daughter's case. She and I go to support group,and everyone talks about how hard it is to break old habits and to keep the weight off with either surgery.

Athinnerdenise,

She's doing well and looks great! I don't know how much weight she's actually lost but over the past two months, most of it prior to surgery, she's lost a lot and is smiling again and is getting a bit more active. The heat has hit us hard in our area as we're known for our pretty mild summers.

I know it will all go in stages for her and I can't tell her what to do but I can be there to help her if she wants it or guide her towards someone or some place.

Naturally I worry about the future and what it hold for her but she's still young and I think that once she gets used to her new body she'll be able to deal with all the good and bad that comes along with it.

How do they do that resting metabolic test?

I also hope that there are changes that come along with studying obesity in medicine and more is done to make things better for us in general.

I don't know anyone personally who has had the surgery, either surgeries so I can't compare and contrast just from what I know from various sources including this forum. For her this is her dream come true pretty much and I just have to have faith that she'll do well. I wish both our daughters well and thanks for asking. Nancy:smile:

I know people who have been 10+ years out with bypass. One died several years ago from complications, but I honestly don't think she had the best Dr. nor did she handle things properly---of the other 3, one is extremely thin, and says she still only eats a small amount of a few specific foods, she is very strict on herself---and can name all the supplements and amounts she does daily--this is her life and she works hard at doing these things--she is in her late 50's now, and had surgery minimally 15 years ago. She said yes she would do it again!

Another friend was bypassed on August 23 1995---I ask her how long it had been before I did this post!!! She originally lost 165 pounds, and has regained about 40--looks great in my opinion, but she worries as the weight is creeping back on.....she says no matter what she does, it seems to slowly be working back on---she is in her early 40's. She said she wished she could go back and have the success she had early on, but yes she would do it again.

The last one was done right at 10 years ago. She cannot eat anything with sweetners in it, be it sugar or natural--which she says is a blessing, because they own an ice cream shop!!! She lost about 100 pounds, she has regained about 20, but looks better, than she has in a long time, her hair is getting healthy again, she said this weight is easy to maintain---it seems to be her natural spot she said, she eats real food, in small amounts---and reads labels closely to avoid any type of sugars which cause her serious dumping issues. She said they did not start until about 8 months out, and come on severely and suddenly. But her health is much better now than before. She was diabetic, and is no longer considered to be. She said even with the side effects she would do it again.

As for banding, I know 2 people out 5 years, a couple. They were banded together, and live together, and have totally different results. He lost 130 pounds, and has kept it off, with never having a fill--he still has some restriction simply from band placement he says----he eats everything but white bread or white rice. And would do it again in a second he said.

His wife, has had 3 fills----never really worked the band, as she thought she should be able to do things like he has done, without a fill. She has another friend who has recently been banded who is working to find a sweet spot and is taking her along for fills, and finally the band is begining to work for her! She has only lost maybe 30 pounds over the 5 years. BUT even with 30 pounds, she said she would do it again, as she had not gained any. She can still eat anything.

Personally I have been banded for over 2 years, with 2 fills, and now a complete unfill for a TT. If I get to 5 years and something goes wrong, and I lose my band--I still consider mine a success, and would do it again. For 2 years now I have not stressed my body with high blood pressure. I have learned much better eating habits from food choices, to portion sizes. I have learned what kind of exercise works for me, what I enjoy and what gets me the best results. For 2+ years, my blood sugar has been normal.....my kidneys, and eyes, all my organs have gained 2 good years without that!

I have lost enough weight that my knees no longer scream in pain to walk.

So while it may not be the ideal, perfect weight loss solution---it has helped my health. It has taught me lessons.

I do not cope well with deprivation either! But the band has made ME change. Things I used to eat lots of, like chips-------no longer appeal. The change come about when I had to learn to thoroughly chew my food. What tasted yummy to me when I chewed twice and swallowed----tastes like a mouthfull of lard when chewed to oblivion!

I have learned to appreciate fresh foods that taste the same way the 20th chew as they do the first.

I have learned to hydrate my body---if I don't--I don't lose an ounce....why? who knows, but if I keep drinking, I lose---so I do it!

The band might have nothing to do with some of these things I learned, but I learned some of them through the wonderful people here! I learned about support! I do not have a band support group available---so this is my support. I have had friends succeed wildly! I have had other friends lose their bands and not have other surgeries available to them.....from both I have learned.

The biggest thing that has to be engaged in weight loss is your brain, if you are not in a mind set to DO IT--no matter what it takes, it is likely not going to happen or maintain regardless what surgery you choose. I have no doubt there are those the band is not for, same as any other surgery--the difference is, if you decide the band is not for you....it CAN come out, and life goes on. If you decide after the fact that RnY is not for you, they cannot sew your stomach back in place and re attach your intestine. One is not the cure all, different surgeries for different people. Different things work for different people. There are people out there that Weight Watchers works for.....just not everybody.

The newbies who come here trying to share their enthusiasm, cannot be faulted for their positiveness.

Those of you who tried, gave it an honest shot, without success, cannot be faulted either...I do not see you here out of negativity----more out of frustration.

We will all have a different experience as we travel through life, including the experiences we have with the band. The posts I do not care for---and yes this is an individual personal thing---are the ones that carry the "Just you wait and see...." threat sounding message. Makes me just all that more determined to be honest though!!!

Kat

I know people who have been 10+ years out with bypass. One died several years ago from complications, but I honestly don't think she had the best Dr. nor did she handle things properly---of the other 3, one is extremely thin, and says she still only eats a small amount of a few specific foods, she is very strict on herself---and can name all the supplements and amounts she does daily--this is her life and she works hard at doing these things--she is in her late 50's now, and had surgery minimally 15 years ago. She said yes she would do it again!

Another friend was bypassed on August 23 1995---I ask her how long it had been before I did this post!!! She originally lost 165 pounds, and has regained about 40--looks great in my opinion, but she worries as the weight is creeping back on.....she says no matter what she does, it seems to slowly be working back on---she is in her early 40's. She said she wished she could go back and have the success she had early on, but yes she would do it again.

The last one was done right at 10 years ago. She cannot eat anything with sweetners in it, be it sugar or natural--which she says is a blessing, because they own an ice cream shop!!! She lost about 100 pounds, she has regained about 20, but looks better, than she has in a long time, her hair is getting healthy again, she said this weight is easy to maintain---it seems to be her natural spot she said, she eats real food, in small amounts---and reads labels closely to avoid any type of sugars which cause her serious dumping issues. She said they did not start until about 8 months out, and come on severely and suddenly. But her health is much better now than before. She was diabetic, and is no longer considered to be. She said even with the side effects she would do it again.

As for banding, I know 2 people out 5 years, a couple. They were banded together, and live together, and have totally different results. He lost 130 pounds, and has kept it off, with never having a fill--he still has some restriction simply from band placement he says----he eats everything but white bread or white rice. And would do it again in a second he said.

His wife, has had 3 fills----never really worked the band, as she thought she should be able to do things like he has done, without a fill. She has another friend who has recently been banded who is working to find a sweet spot and is taking her along for fills, and finally the band is begining to work for her! She has only lost maybe 30 pounds over the 5 years. BUT even with 30 pounds, she said she would do it again, as she had not gained any. She can still eat anything.

Personally I have been banded for over 2 years, with 2 fills, and now a complete unfill for a TT. If I get to 5 years and something goes wrong, and I lose my band--I still consider mine a success, and would do it again. For 2 years now I have not stressed my body with high blood pressure. I have learned much better eating habits from food choices, to portion sizes. I have learned what kind of exercise works for me, what I enjoy and what gets me the best results. For 2+ years, my blood sugar has been normal.....my kidneys, and eyes, all my organs have gained 2 good years without that!

I have lost enough weight that my knees no longer scream in pain to walk.

So while it may not be the ideal, perfect weight loss solution---it has helped my health. It has taught me lessons.

I do not cope well with deprivation either! But the band has made ME change. Things I used to eat lots of, like chips-------no longer appeal. The change come about when I had to learn to thoroughly chew my food. What tasted yummy to me when I chewed twice and swallowed----tastes like a mouthfull of lard when chewed to oblivion!

I have learned to appreciate fresh foods that taste the same way the 20th chew as they do the first.

I have learned to hydrate my body---if I don't--I don't lose an ounce....why? who knows, but if I keep drinking, I lose---so I do it!

The band might have nothing to do with some of these things I learned, but I learned some of them through the wonderful people here! I learned about support! I do not have a band support group available---so this is my support. I have had friends succeed wildly! I have had other friends lose their bands and not have other surgeries available to them.....from both I have learned.

The biggest thing that has to be engaged in weight loss is your brain, if you are not in a mind set to DO IT--no matter what it takes, it is likely not going to happen or maintain regardless what surgery you choose. I have no doubt there are those the band is not for, same as any other surgery--the difference is, if you decide the band is not for you....it CAN come out, and life goes on. If you decide after the fact that RnY is not for you, they cannot sew your stomach back in place and re attach your intestine. One is not the cure all, different surgeries for different people. Different things work for different people. There are people out there that Weight Watchers works for.....just not everybody.

The newbies who come here trying to share their enthusiasm, cannot be faulted for their positiveness.

Those of you who tried, gave it an honest shot, without success, cannot be faulted either...I do not see you here out of negativity----more out of frustration.

We will all have a different experience as we travel through life, including the experiences we have with the band. The posts I do not care for---and yes this is an individual personal thing---are the ones that carry the "Just you wait and see...." threat sounding message. Makes me just all that more determined to be honest though!!!

Kat

Excellent! Everything in perspective.:biggrin:

In order to do the resting metabolic test, I couldn't exercise for 48 hours before the test. It had to be done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. They hooked me up to a computer, plugged my nose off with a thing like a clothes pin, and I breathed in and out of my mouth for 20 min.

Then a computer print out came out that said just sitting there breathing, I burn about 1,000 calories per day. It showed a graph showing me to have a very slow metabolism. It showed me that I need to eat less than 1,000 calories per day and exercise if I wanted to lose.

There are so many people here who have had gastric bypass. Our hospital is one of the largest employers in this town. The hospital insurance was covering it for several years. They no longer cover it,

because I am sure they paid out an incredible amount of money with

so many people having it done.

The people that have kept the weight off are in the minority. Most of them thought it was a magic cure and they would never have to watch their weight ever again. The ones that having the dumping

syndrome and can't eat sugar are the ones that do the best. There

are quite a few people I know that can still eat sugar in great quantities.

Sugar is my biggest downfall as well.

In order to do the resting metabolic test, I couldn't exercise for 48 hours before the test. It had to be done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. They hooked me up to a computer, plugged my nose off with a thing like a clothes pin, and I breathed in and out of my mouth for 20 min.

Then a computer print out came out that said just sitting there breathing, I burn about 1,000 calories per day. It showed a graph showing me to have a very slow metabolism. It showed me that I need to eat less than 1,000 calories per day and exercise if I wanted to lose.

There are so many people here who have had gastric bypass. Our hospital is one of the largest employers in this town. The hospital insurance was covering it for several years. They no longer cover it,

because I am sure they paid out an incredible amount of money with

so many people having it done.

The people that have kept the weight off are in the minority. Most of them thought it was a magic cure and they would never have to watch their weight ever again. The ones that having the dumping

syndrome and can't eat sugar are the ones that do the best. There

are quite a few people I know that can still eat sugar in great quantities.

Sugar is my biggest downfall as well.

I think you and I must be somewhat similar when it comes body types or something. I'll ask my doctor next time I see him, my primary, if he'd order me a test, he'd do it on a heartbeat! Not that I'd be surprised at the results or anything or if it's really necessary.

I already know I need many less calories than probably someone who was my age, weight, sex, height, I don't know why but I do recall the last two times I was able to lose weight was 1. on the all liquid Medifast diet prior to surgery and that goes without saying that it was about 600 cals a day and 2. when I was on Meridia but was also off my antidepressants and had almost a nauseous feeling which kept me down to a low caloric intake too. I can exercise but unless I taking in a lower calorie intake than I'd like I won't lose and it sucks!!!!!!

I can't do Meridia again because I refuse to go off my antidepressants because it makes me into a crazy beeeatch so in order for me stick with a lower intake of calories I'd have to go back to Medifast!! I've come full circle and then kind of made a pretzel!:scared2:Help!!

Some antidepressents cause people to gain weight. I know i was on some that did when I was younger. I have been on Prozac for like uhmmm prob 5 years now and it doesn't make me gain. You might want to ask your doc about yours.

I can't tolerate the "Proz" but I have switched to a new antidepressant but they're all pretty much from the same class of drugs. I'm thinking of paying for extreme lipo!:P Out of pocket, of course! But first I need to get a job.

Thay test calculates your BRM based on how much oxygen your tissues "comsume" while you are at rest. When I did my test, pre-band, the results showed I have a very high metabolism (It said I could consume, like, 3500-3800 calories a day and still lose weight). At first I thought "bullshit".....but the more I thought about it, the more I realized just how much I was eating in a day. That metabolism test really opened my eyes.