Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Come out of the band failure closet!

Well.....like everything else genetic, it's not the end-all be-all. Even with a very high metabolism, I managed to eat myself into a fat suit. If I could burn 6000 cals / day, I probably still would have gained. It was a toxic mind set, where I had mixed up feeling "not hungry" with feeling "stuffed to capacity". I still think a lot of the speedy metabolism was because I had (and still do have) muscle underneath the top layer of fat. Bodyweight exercises are awesome!!

So true Plain. I have never had my metabolism tested, but from what is said here, to be female and lose 120% of excess weight on 1500 to 1800 calories a day as I have done is highly unusual.

To now be maintaining quite easily (in fact still losing slowly) on what from my very occasional adding up is about 1800 to 2000 calories a day is almost unheard of for a bandster. I burn TONS of calories. I'm very active, I exercise hard, I am on the run from dawn till dusk, I never sit down, I need to eat what I do or I cant function and FORGET low carb, I'd die.

So not all obese people have slow metabolisms, I never used to be so active and I was much fatter, less muscular so I wouldnt have burned as much as I do now, but you can outeat anything! I've often wondered how on earth my girlfriend got to 150 kgs with a BMI of about 50, where I only got to 35, I often ate more than she does!

according to mine my body burns 2400 but i dont believe it cause i mean yeah i lost 3.5 lbs the last 2 weeks 5.5 before that 3 before that, and I am eating between 1200-1600 calories a day and trying to walk 2 miles everyday

That test calculates your BRM based on how much oxygen your tissues "comsume" while you are at rest. When I did my test, pre-band, the results showed I have a very high metabolism (It said I could consume, like, 3500-3800 calories a day and still lose weight). At first I thought "bullshit".....but the more I thought about it, the more I realized just how much I was eating in a day. That metabolism test really opened my eyes.

Was your test done just like mine?

My doctor said it's the only way to accurately get your resting metabolic rate. There are charts that are supposed to be able to calculate it online, but I doubt if they are accurate. I am not saying your's wasn't accurate- I am just wondering how they did yours.

Hey Brandy what's up.

I wasn't trying to scare you with that melting mama link. I know you know the risks. Shoot we take risks daily just walking out the front door. It was actually directed to the other poster who was considering it. I, like Kat, have met people with good and bad results. The purpose of these posts is to bring to light all aspects of WLS. I'm not a hater....LOL, please don't think that. I want everybody to succeed at this weight loss battle. By the way, how is your daughter?

I'm sorry if I come off as biased or that I know more than anyone else. I don't. I am so new to this. What I am not new to, is feeling like a failure. This time, for me, Failure is not an option. I have to succeed at this. I have used my weight to dictate my life for far too long. The post you made about self- acceptance struck a chord. I think to succeed I have to love myself regardless first. Even if I don't like what's staring back at me in the mirror. Your words are powerful Brandy. Thanks

If you're KeyWestGirl then why are you going to Hawaii? That's my only comment to you, jk.

It's ok, you know it's not easy for any of us whether or not the ticker is moving down. We all have to deal with it the best way we can. Some of us have been fat all our lives and never thin, some gained after some major thing whether it be a trauma or a pregnancy and then there are people like me have been fat and thin and fat and thin and fat and thin and it's almost like your body is saying "whoaaaa nellie!!!!!!!!!!!".

I kind of have to deal with it from the inside out if that makes sense and if my outside becomes thin now along the way than it's a big bonus but I can't put myself through anymore self hatred or why bother going on? I just ordered a book called "Self Esteem Comes in all Sizes..." and it should be in interesting read.

Take care and good health to you brandyII:smile:

Yeah, there are a lot of good books out there. I really like the Beck Diet solution. It's not a diet. It's mostly about positive reinforcement when we stick to the plan. It's a pretty helpful book.

Was your test done just like mine?

My doctor said it's the only way to accurately get your resting metabolic rate. There are charts that are supposed to be able to calculate it online, but I doubt if they are accurate. I am not saying your's wasn't accurate- I am just wondering how they did yours.

ATD, I believe it was the same. Weren't you talking about sealing off the nose and breathing in and out of a tube (that accuratley measures all your airflow....if you keep the tube sealed in your mouth). That's what I did. The computer that the tube is hooked to measures the % of oxygen that you inhale with the % that you exhale (it's a very small, but measurable difference). Back when I was a respiratory therapist, I ran tests like this occasionally. There are more accurate tests, but waaaaaay more invasive and time consuming. The "bedside" version that I'm talking about is fairly accurate (if the testing person knows what they're doing). For maximal accuracy, the tester should remain in the room with the testee to ensure that the nose stays sealed and the patient keeps a tight seal with their mouth (my nurse left the room during the test....but I knew how it was supposed to go).

Yea, that was how I did the test. Do you think it's pretty accurate as far as how many calories I need to eat per day? It's pretty hard for me to eat 1,000 calories per day sometimes. I would like to lose a little more, but I have to eat like a bird to lose.

It's pretty fairly accurate if you followed the procedure correctly (Must have your mouth sealed around the breathing chamber while your nose is "clamped shut" so that all air is flowing through, and measured by, the chamber).

Like I said, at first I thought "no way is this thing correct", but then I realized that my diest was roughly 90% fast food. No telling how many calories I was consuming daily.

Are you able to squeeze in any exercise, ATD? Specifically resistance training? That's what bumps up your resting metabolism (IMO)

And.....1000 cals / day is pretty low. I'd think you probably shouldn't be dipping too far below that. Have you talked to a nutritionist?

Edited by plain
no excuses.....I'm just stoopid

I don't know if I would get an RNY at this point in my life now anyway and it's not proven whether or not everyone has dumping syndrome. There's is the malabsorption aspect to it that helps with weight loss and some do get dumping syndrome which supposedly is not something that one enjoys.

Yes, it is proven about RNY and dumping. Not everyone dumps. But the point the other poster made is still accurate. If you get RNY and if you do dump, you'll be facing the same situation you do now.

If you are the type of person that eats a whole lot of food and have restriction with the lap band then it should work fine for you. If on the other hand you have a really slow metabolism after years of yo yo dieting and are at a certain age and have other issues that may affect how successful you will be on the band it may not work as well. I don't know how to explain it any better but not everyone will do well on the band whether or not you want to say they are not doing enough of the work is up to you to decide????

Are you aware that it is a myth that you mess with your metabolism by yo yo dieting? The only people with a dead metabolism are dead people. You are telling us that you are eating junk food and this has ... what ... to do with your metabolism? If you eat junk food you will not lose weight, that doesn't have a darn thing in the world to do with metabolism. It has everything to do with eating junk food.

Okay, I'm just going to say it. Banding is hard, sleeves are hard, RNY is hard. You either want weight loss or you don't. You can sit here and talk about how you can't do it or you can get out there and do it. You can exercise, work out, bust your butt getting it done or you can talk about how you can't do it.

If you can't do it then just have your band removed and go on with your life. Honestly, it's a choice. Seriously, you think this is easy for any of us? It is not, you find a way to make it work or you don't, that too... is a choice.

But it's also a passion for them and actually always has been since they were young. One races bikes and one runs and will run marathons and both have or do teach martial arts. I've never had that passion and probably never will. I can find passion in walking but not running I'm not built for that and even when I was thin I hated it! I like hiking things like but I'm not a competitor not even within myself if you catch my drift.

I hate walking, I hate running. I hate cleaning the toilet, I hate cleaning the kitchen after a holiday meal. Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do. I used to run seven miles a day and hated every bloody minute of it. But I wanted weight loss more than I hated running so I ran.

I know it would be easier if I could do it that way but I just don't want to.

Well, there you go. You have your answer.

Are you aware that it is a myth that you mess with your metabolism by yo yo dieting? The only people with a dead metabolism are dead people. You are telling us that you are eating junk food and this has ... what ... to do with your metabolism? If you eat junk food you will not lose weight, that doesn't have a darn thing in the world to do with metabolism. It has everything to do with eating junk food.

Okay, I'm just going to say it. Banding is hard, sleeves are hard, RNY is hard. You either want weight loss or you don't. You can sit here and talk about how you can't do it or you can get out there and do it. You can exercise, work out, bust your butt getting it done or you can talk about how you can't do it.

If you can't do it then just have your band removed and go on with your life. Honestly, it's a choice. Seriously, you think this is easy for any of us? It is not, you find a way to make it work or you don't, that too... is a choice.

Well said!

People keep asking me how I've managed to lose 66 lbs in a little over 3 months. I really don't have a magic formula or think I'm doing anything extraordinary. I follow the band rules, I limit my treats (I don't completely cut myself off, but I find that if I allow a little, I'm ok), I drink my Water. Maybe I've been really lucky. I don't know. But for me there is no other choice--I made my choice the day I signed up for this. Not having restriction is HARD--I've been there and I'm sort of there right now. But outright refusal to even try baffles me.

I wake up everyday not wanting to exercise, but I do it. I do it because exercising is going to help me succeed in losing weight, and it's an important step to losing weight.

What's the point in getting banded if you don't have the willpower to walk for 20 minutes a day. It's not like it's hard. You just don't WANT to do it