Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just back from the surgery

Hi guys,

I was banded on Friday afternoon by Dr. Eric Pinnar in Reston, VA. He was great. I had been considering the surgery for some time, but felt that I didn't have the time to devote to it. Anyway, I had a window that opened up suddenly (between two jobs) and decided to take the plunge and get the surgery done. Dr. Pinnar's fantastic staff took me through the whole process (including insurance approval) in about 2 weeks from first consult to surgery.

My BMI was 36.7, so I was a candidate for the surgery based mainly on my "co-morbidities." (Who invented that phrase?) I am really looking forward to reducing/eliminating meds for Type II diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol as I close in on my goal weight.

As far as the surgery and the aftermath, I have to say that pain was minimal. Only problem to this point is a post surgery difficulty in peeing (VERY slow). Anyone else experience that? Otherwise, I am feeling about 90 percent today.

I have sleep apnea, so I was required to stay in the hospital overnight. The staff at Reston Hospital could not have been better.

I am not exactly looking forward to the next few weeks of continued liquid diet, but I am definitely up for it. Reading the posts here has been a big inspiration for me.

Be well!

Congratulations, CP! I didn't have problems peeing, other than smaller volumes because I was taking less liquid in. Are you keeping up your intake? It's hard at first.

CP. I'm 3 days post-op. I too have been urinating less due to my current intake of fluids. But i have noticed that the color of my urine is a dark cloudy yellow. Anyone else have this issue?

Just from drinking much less would be my guess. Liquid/mushie stage will be over before you know it. I will say it was pretty easy for me as my huger was just not there for 2-3 weeks after surgery. The great side benefit was rapid weight loss ! Keep the Proteins up...

i was banded on 4/30/08 and i am 5 days post op i was wondering what kind of soft foods are you guys eating. as i am back to work and having some trouble wondering what is soft and good to eat high in Protein. any suggestions

Congrats, I was banded on tuesday the 4-29-2008 and urination is for sure less but like everyone else said its most likely from the lower liguid intake. I was told to be sure and drink at least 1-2 litres of fluids a day so keep it up.

Now if someone wants to help me, when is a normal bm supposed to happen? I have had only loose bm's since about 3 days after surgery. is this normal should I call my Doctor? Thanks

PS hope I didnt gross anyone out with my question

Thanks for the reminders re Fluid intake. I have stepped that up to my Dr.'s recommendation of 64 ozs/day and it is having the desired impact. I have to say that the last 24 hours were tougher than the first, but I am still amazed at how low the pain level is and how quickly I seem to be recovering generally. Still waiting for the BMs!

When I had my surgery I too had trouble urinating also. I felt as if my bladder was goig to burst. When I was finally able to urinate I was unable to void my bladder completely. I told my Nurse I was having trouble going to the bathroom. She told me that sometimes when people are put under anesthesia(?) their bladders have more trouble "waking up" then the rest of your body. I was not able to urinate properly until approx. 16 hrs after surgery.

As far as BM's go, some people go too much, other people grind to a halt. Give it some time, you'll be fine - indeed, you'll find that you're going less frequently, maybe every other day, some people every three days...

I had the same problem I went from a dribble to peeing normal in 3 daysI think I was afraid of the pain in my stomach muscles.had my surg on the 29th and am feeling greatMy biggest problem is GAS!!! I live on gas x I keep asking my kids to pull my finger, my daughter

Oh, great! Now I have this mental image of the sainted Helen Keller challenging kids to pull her finger!!!

Hey, way to go, man. Yeah, your pee will "clear up" in a few days. And as far as the liquid diet--enjoy it now. Man, before my 1st fill I wanted to eat a whole cow. But I remember the liquids right after my surgery. This is when the weight will really drop off. Good luck, bro.