Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I super lucky or screwing up?

My doctor and nutritionist gave me the same directions. I am 14 days post op and I feel fantastic, I can eat bread, Pasta, nothing is bothering me at all. My portion sizes are much much much smaller . . . but other than that I feel the same as pre-surgery, just better because I have lost some weight. I was told that recent research has altered the old post - op diet and patients can progress with their eating a faster pace (which explains my post-op diet) however everyone's diet will be different depending on their surgeon, band type, etc.

Congrats on your surgery . . . and consider yourself lucky to feel so good, I know I certainly do.

Ps. I am eating chicken, fish, and even slow roasted beef. All is well, I am just really cautious about the size of each bit and how well I chew it!

Hi Again,

I just wanted to say thank you for all your answers. Hearing that other people were following a similar route to me was a big relief.

As it goes, since my first post I haven't had another stab at anything solid like fish or veggies. Instead, I've stuck to porridge for Breakfast, yogurt for lunch and Soup for dinner - with some mashed up mango if I feel peckish in between.

Within myself I know that I could eat anything as I feel completely fine. But I've spent so much money I've decided to be far more cautious than my doc suggests.

I'll probably carry as I am until after the weekend and then add mashed potatoes, soft chicken and the like into the mix.

Anyway, just a quick update at the end of my first week: So far I've had no pain and I've lost 16lbs. Wish I'd done the op years ago...

where are you getting banded if you don't mind me asking? I'm from Chicago Il. and was wondering if your going through Mercy Hospital? Is there anyone else that has been banded or going to be banded @ Mercy Hospital in Chicago I thought this would attach to the tread I was replying to mstrina but if theres any other Mercy banders out there please repond

Edited by mwright1
did not connect to guess I was replying to

Actually, I'm working in Malaysia at the moment, and will be for the foreseeable future, so I had it done here in Kuala Lumpur.

Hi I also am newly banded (4/22/08). I was on clear liq. the first week and I am currently on thicker liq (sf Jello, soup...). I think that the healing of the stomache is one of the primary reasons my Doc has me on liq. still. That and I love the fact that I am losing so quickly. I have lost 17.5 lbs in 10 days. When I get hungery I eat another sugar free ice pop and think how wonderful it is that this is only going to get better. Enjoy the Day!

if I'm feeling no pain is it ok to carry on as I am?

One thing to consider, there aren't a whole lot of nerve endings in that part of your body, so if a stitch does rip or something goes wrong, you may not realize it until after it starts having a bigger effect and causing other problems or types of pain.

I agree with everyone else that you should do what your doctor tells you, however, your particular doc's instructions just seem very out of whack compared with so many other people on this forum (including myself, from the instructions they've given me for post-op).

For that reason alone, if it was me, I would probably voice my concerns to my doctor and just ask him for sure if eating such 'sturdy' foods so soon could potentially cause healing problems.

It may not be a bad idea to stick to softer or more liquified foods as much as you can.

I got banded on 4/30 in Germany. They keep you in the hospital for 4 days here. On the evening after surgery and the next day, they gave me yogurt and pea Soup. The second day after surgery, after they did an x-ray while I drank some noxious liquid, and everything looked okay, they gave me pot roast and boiled potatoes! I was pretty shocked, but I figured if anything went wrong, I was right there in the hospital.

But, I decided that once I was at home, it would be better to stick to at least mushies. The doctor said that I could eat whatever I wanted at this point, as long as I understood that if I ate too much, I might throw up. But, I'm not seeing a nutritionist until tomorrow, so I'm curious to see what she says.

Just another quick update... I went to see the doc on Saturday for a check up and gave him the food diary I've been keeping.

Basically, it was seven variations this theme: 2 Weetabix for Breakfast, yoghurt and banana for lunch, fish and soft veg for dinner.

He didn't have any issue with it at all. In fact, he said how well I'd done.

The operation he gave me was exemplary, I didn't even need pain meds after, so I trust him completely. I think different doctors just have different ideas on post-op care.

That said, like the poster above, I'm a naturally cautious person so I'm sticking to soft stuff as much as possible!