Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I'm being banded on Monday and scared

I'm being banded on Monday and am very nervous, not about the surgery but about the new lifestyle. I keep reading posts from people who are so excited and are counting down the days until surgery. Why don't I feel that way? I've been battling my weight all of my adult years. I've been on every diet, lost weight and then regained all of it back plus some. But my life is pretty good now except for my weight. I,m jsut so scared about PBing, sliming, food getting stuck, gas, etc. Do I really want to live like that? Does anyone have any words of encouragement?

I wanted to let you know that I worried about all those same things before my surgery and I can assure you it all was worth it and I having lap band surgery was one of the best decisions of my life. I experienced my first PB about five months after surgery,after 5 fills, when I finally reached my sweet spot (the right restriction level). That taught me that I need to slow down when eating and take small bites, especially of certain foods. If I do that, I don't PB (or slime- for me they happen at the same time.) I have had no problems with gas except for the two days after surgery and it wasn't even that bad. The positives so far outweigh the negatives - I don't feel hungry all the time, I don't go into restaurants and read the menus thinking about what I can order that will fill me up because even an appetizer will fill me up! I am not constantly obsessing about my next meal, because I stay satisfied between meals now. I can eat about 1 cup of food and feel like I just chowed down a huge Thanksgiving dinner. And when I lose a pound, I don't immediately start stressing about it coming back, because it doesn't! Think for a minute about all the negative's associated with being overweight and trying to lose it by traditional dieting. I think if you are honest, PB's, gas, and sliming are a small price to pay to get rid of all those negatives. It isn't like you PB every day, either. (If you do there is a problem). For me it happens maybe once a week at the most (a bad week) but really only every other week. For the most part there just aren't any negatives! And I am being totally honest with you. It's totally normal to feel apprehensive before surgery. Concentrate on all the good things that are going to come out of this and focus on those! You will be losing weight before you know it and feeling like me - why didn't I do this sooner?!?!?

I think it's normal for any sane person to be nervous about making a major lifestyle change. I have not been banded yet and took 2 years making the decision. After a lot of reflection, I realized that being fat all my life is a big part of my identity. I also tried every diet and succeeded, only to fail eventually because I went crazy with hunger. I have talked to several people who have been banded and they have never had a problem with "sliming, PBing, etc." so I am not too worried. You are doing a great thing to improve your health and become the beautiful person you truly are. You can do this and we are all here to help you. Best of luck!!

Hi! I am new to this group because I am in the process of getting cleared to get banded. I was a normal weight most of my life (the most 138 pounds (I'm 5ft. 4) until my last child at age 38 - he is now 6 years old and since then I gained close to 100 pounds. I know that this is my only option and the best part is that I have my husband for support -- he is having it done on Monday!!! We both gained a lot of weight around the same time so we do know how it feels to be a normal weight. He is very excited about it, though I am a little nervous. Good luck to you and please keep me posted!!!

You'll do just fine. Being on this web site has it's ups and downs. I was scared to death!!!! I'm 1 1/2 weeks post-op and i feel wonderful. No PingPangs, no slime... no nothing.... Everyone is different. The more you read, the more nuts you will drive yourself. Surgery itself is easy the easy part. Little or no Pain in the incisions... the only major problem I had was shoulder and neck pain which was not surgery related. It was because I slept in my reclineing chair one night.. and got a kink in my neck. The only other issue is the gas pain.. but that will subside! You'll be fine, just keep positive. I feel absolutely wonderful!!! Lots of luck!!

Angelface, I've been banded a little less than 2 weeks, and I assure you, "cold feet" is completely normal. I too had serious doubts 2 days before my surgery, for several reasons. One was being put to sleep, but mostly it's because I really, really love food. While I was beyond sick and tired of being overweight and battling my weight, I also grieved a little (and still do some) for having to give it up.

I'm still finding my way with this band. I haven't had a fill yet, so I'm still hungry and craving all the foods I did before. By reading this board as much as I can, I just have to have faith that the band will work for me once I have a fill(s) and start eating some regular foods (am on full liquids now).

Please know that your feelings are normal. Also know that the first few weeks of having the band possibly will be filled with emotional ups and downs as you get used to having to find your way with what you can and can't have.

I have a newfound respect for the addicts I see on that t.v. show on A & E, "Intervention". Before, I didn't understand why some of them would balk or flat out refuse to go to rehab. Best of luck to you and Godspeed with your recuperation!