Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is a "normal" portion size  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is a "normal" portion size

• 2 oz
    • 4 oz
    • 6 oz
    • 8 oz
    • As much as you want
    • Don't know

I am a little confused on what is considered a "normal" portion size. How much do you usually eat?

Edited by jerang

This is an area of frustration for me. Just minutes ago, I sent an email to my nutritionist about this. I think I'm able to eat too much, and I don't stay satisfied for more than a couple of hours. For example, I ate a South Beach Living Grilled chicken Caesar wrap sandwich kit. It has 24g Protein and 14g Fiber. I definitely felt full and didn't want anymore food. I felt hunger 2 hours later. Frustrating! I have 8cc in my 14cc band. My doctor feels that I don't need further restriction at this time.

From reading posts, I gather that people are eating anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups of food, but I don't know how long they're satisfied in between meals.

For me, 2-3 oz of Protein and 1/2 to 1 C of veggies, depending on the type of veggies. 1/2 c of cooked green Beans, for example, but if it were something raw and fluffy like spinach I'd eat a cup of it - it compacts pretty small once chewed up. Those are the guidelines I've gotten from my doc, as well.

I suppose that comes out to between 1 and 1.5 cups of food at a time. That satisfies me but does not make me uncomfortable at all.

I easily stay in my 1000-1200 cals/day target on that, with healthy food choices, and only have to do some minor supplementation to meet my nutritional needs.

Edited by MollyMolly

I felt hunger 2 hours later. Frustrating! I have 8cc in my 14cc band. My doctor feels that I don't need further restriction at this time.

From reading posts, I gather that people are eating anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups of food, but I don't know how long they're satisfied in between meals.

I was told only 3 meals a day. You can't do that if you get hungry 2 hours later. I get hungry 2 hours later now and part of why I want the band is to get that up to 4 hours.

At my nutritional consult, the dietician said normal hunger is to be hungry every 3-4 hours. I think I would like slightly abnormal hunger -- say 4 to 5 hours. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by MacMadame

My nutritionist suggested to eat every three hours to get metabolosim going. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it has been working.

This is something I'm working on. I think about what a 'normal' person would eat and try and make my portions that size. At the moment I've only had one fill so I'm really conscious of not eating too much because I don't want any problems.

I'm only eating 3x a day and doing ok but my portions are probably a bit bigger at the moment because of only 1 fill but I'm not eating anywhere near what I used to. I figure I can't change 30 years to eating habits in 4 weeks so I'm taking it one day at a time. One thing I need to start working on though is the whole no drinking while eating thing.

Very good question - I'd like to know how much I should be eating as well. When I went to my 1st seminar, one doctor said we should only be eating about 1/4 cup 3 times a day. But the surgeon that actually banded me said that I should just eat until I'm full, but to start out eating about 1/2 cup each time. Now, I'm reading that some people can eat 1 to 1 1/2 cups at each sitting. I'm really confused about this, because I want to do this right. I go for my first fill on April 28 and want to follow the rules - but I can't get the rules straightened out! Right now, I notice that I am able to eat a little less than pre-band, but I'm hoping to notice a bigger difference with my fill.

Edited by bluekygirl
typo

I know some surgeon's offices say 1/2 cup, but if they also say eat only 3x a day (and most do), how could you possibly get in all your nutrients with real food? If you have 3oz of Protein at every meal, that's already over half a cup right there and you haven't even gotten to your vegetables.

I wonder if they say 1/2 c. because most people are so bad about estimating and they figure if they say 1/2 c., you'll eat 1 cup.

Hard to say for me. I eat three times a day and I eat often eat the frozen South Beach Entrees and i find they are just the right amount of food for me. I have taken to saving the 'trays' and reusing them for Portion Control for other meals. Plus, they work out great for leftovers.

I mean, my portions are RIGHT AROUND 3/4 of a cup, give or take the time of day, but here's the thing...it's more about the calories than the portion. More of the hunger is in your head than you think. Don't forget that. Try to keep between 800-1300 calories per day. Plenty of Protein, few carbs, few sugars, more whole foods, etc. You know the drill.

I know some surgeon's offices say 1/2 cup, but if they also say eat only 3x a day (and most do), how could you possibly get in all your nutrients with real food?

This is my question too. My doctor's office says you need to have 60+ grams of Protein daily over 3 meals (no Protein shakes, etc.). I'm not experiencing restriction yet, so I don't expect it to be 1/2cup right now. But even if I could, I don't get how this can work.... :glare:

When my band is tight and I am losing 1 lb a week I am never hungry and typically only eat 2 oz at a time. If you can lose on 4 oz it may be better nutritionally however. I have to eat like a bird to lose. Good luck.

i am unfilled a little at the moment because of a pregnancy that i after miscarriaged, but when i had a fill i was pretty restricted, i could eat about 1/2 cup at a time, i had a hard time getting in my 700 calories, and i was losing weight like crazy.

...now i can eat 3 pieces of pizza.

I did not vote in the poll because "normal" depends on the person.

I eat until I am not hungry anymore. Not until I am full. There's a pretty big distinction there. Sometimes that is 1/2 cup and sometimes it's 1 1/2 cups. It just depends on what it is. Protein first, veggies second, starch (if any) third. I don't measure my portions anymore but I did at first, to get an idea of what it looked like. I still overfill my plate sometimes and have to put food back.

I figure I'm doing something right. I am continuing to lose (just got my second fill) and getting in around 60g of Protein and 1000-1200 calories a day. I also exercise 30-45 mins for 3-5 times per week.

I eat often eat the frozen South Beach Entrees and i find they are just the right amount of food for me.

I just had one of those today. They are AWESOME. :tt2:

They are also exactly the portions that the dietician showed me at my Nutritional evaluation. They are definitely more than 1/2 a cup of food! More like 1 to 1.5 cups. I will measure the next one before I eat it to be sure.