Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is a "normal" portion size  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is a "normal" portion size

• 2 oz
    • 4 oz
    • 6 oz
    • 8 oz
    • As much as you want
    • Don't know

I've had three fills now and I'm up to 7.25cc in my 14cc band. I still feel like I'm able to eat to much although I'm not hungry for hours and hours. In fact I don't really seem hungry at all ever. One thing I'm struggling with is learning to NOT eat when I'm NOT hungry. At first I was concerned I'd stretched the pouch a bit although I talked to the doctor and they don't believe I did. Still I'm looking forward to one more fill. I am losing weight it just doesn't seem like it.

ErikMesa

I mean, my portions are RIGHT AROUND 3/4 of a cup, give or take the time of day, but here's the thing...it's more about the calories than the portion. More of the hunger is in your head than you think. Don't forget that. Try to keep between 800-1300 calories per day. Plenty of Protein, few carbs, few sugars, more whole foods, etc. You know the drill.

You took the words out of my mouth. The size of the portion pales in comparison to the content.

I had my surgery on May 21st so have not had a fill as of yet. But I am hungry all the time. I am really trying to hang in there until my first fill, but boy is it hard. I found myself for dinner tonigh eating 2 chicken legs and thighs (rotissarie). I didnt eat any vegs or fruits, just felt I needed the Protein. But i think I am eating to much to get satisfied. Is this normal because I havent had a fill yet? and will I want less after a fill?

Help me please!!!!!!!:rolleyes2:

Is this normal because I havent had a fill yet? and will I want less after a fill?

Yes - once you get some fill -- and it will probably take multiple adjustments to hit your sweet spot -- you will want to eat much less and you will be satisfied on much less.

Due to a back issue, I am currently taking a round of oral steroids which led to me getting reflux. I had to have an unfill, and it's amazing how much of a difference that makes both in how satisified I feel after eating my measured-out portion, and in how much I am craving sugary junk food. Wow. I can't wait to get re-filled once I'm off these steroids in a few days!!

Hang in there.

I worked in a gym for four years and studied nutrition. Without the lapband, you should be eating 5 to 6 small meals a day to keep blood sugar consistent. That should mean, you are eating about every 2-3 hours. Remember, these are SMALL meals, roughly 200-300 calories each meal. With the lapband, you should be able to follow the same guidelines.

I've borrowed my 2 year olds toddler bowls which probably fit about 1 cup and I fill them to about 3/4. Sometimes I can finish that portion and sometimes I leave about 1/2.

I think as long as I stick to the toddler bowls I'm fine.

I proper meal like that lasts me 4-6 hours. Sometimes less and then I have a tiny snack in between meals.

this morning i measured what i ate and it was 2 and half oz of scrambled eggs with salsa verde, and 1/2 oz of black refried Beans. I tend to get more hunger in the evening so for some reason i tend to eat more than but this is what my Breakfast and lunch portions look like. my surgeon suggested 2 oz of protien and 1 oz of veggies at every meal avoiding bread, Pasta all together since they expand in your stomach. I sometimes can eat up to a half cup

Hi everybody, It's been a few months since I last posted, but decided it was time to update. I've been reading all the posts ref portion size and I agree that quality out weighs quantity for sure. My Dr and nutritionist says, get that Protein first, then your vegs, then the starches. I have had 3 fills now and feel that I am finally at my "sweet spot". I had my surgery May 21, 2008 and have now lost 44 lbs. It is coming off averaging 8-10 mth. Seems slow, but hey, I didn't put it on overnight either. All of you, keep up the good work. If this ole 64 year old can do this, I know ya'll can too.:wink2:

Linda

I have never measured by cup size. I can eat a portion about the size of my palm. That includes mostly Protein and a small amount of veggies.

I drink a Protein Shake every day. That's about 25 grams of Protein right there. chicken, fish and cottage cheese all have a lot of protein in them.

I ate a foot long Subway Veggie sandwich on friday a day after I got my first 4cc fill the day before and It went down normally after chewing a lot!! ( I mean a lot) I noticed that If I chew my food a lot, I can eat all I want and not choke

Not good! I just got a self administered attitude adjustment yesterday!:)