Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is a "normal" portion size  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is a "normal" portion size

• 2 oz
    • 4 oz
    • 6 oz
    • 8 oz
    • As much as you want
    • Don't know

I ate a foot long Subway Veggie sandwich on friday a day after I got my first 4cc fill the day before and It went down normally after chewing a lot!! ( I mean a lot) I noticed that If I chew my food a lot, I can eat all I want and not choke

Not good! I just got a self administered attitude adjustment yesterday!:laugh:

I have to ask- did you eat th whole thing? :smile2:

Mac are you able to eat that much with a sleeve?

I don't Portion Control. I eat until I'm satisfied (not full). Sometimes it's quite a lot, sometimes it's a couple of bites of hard Protein that sits heavily. As per my Drs instructions, I try to have hard Protein for most meals, with a variety of veg and a little carb.

I've only had two fills and don't think I'm at my sweet spot yet, but since my last fill, I don't seem to get hungry as often (am enjoying that feeling while it lasts!). So right now, I am listening to my body and only trying to eat when I'm actually feeling hungry and not because it's time for a meal. That's what my Dr told me - eat when you're hungry, not necessarily 3 meals, or every 2-3 hours. It seems to be working for me, so will continue in that vein, I think.

My Dr.'s manual says to eat 3 meals and 2 small Snacks per day. It is in my opinion that this is the best way to achieve healthy weight loss.

Edited by health4life

Hi there,

The program at the bariatric center I went to gave us all a very detailed book about EVERYTHING we would need to know. They state 4-5 ounces is about what you should consume, but again your doctor can advise you. I was banded 11/05/08 and since then I have lost about 20 pounds. Since June of this year until now (12/16/08) I have dropped 42 total. I don't ever feel hungry nor do I ever feel "full". When I am done eating my 4-5 ounces I stop, that is it.

During the week days I have a Carnationa Instant Breakfast drink (chocolate no sugar added), 8 oz fat free skim milk and 1 scoop of whey Protein, blend and then microwave it and wa la, I have a hot chocolate every morning that tastes good. I do not even think about food until noon or so. I completely forget Breakfast I think because that warm liquid satisfies me for that long. The bonus is that if I want to I will then eat around noon, then 5 or so and if I want a little something before bed I will have it then. I don't have to eat at 9, noon and then 5pm and be done for the night (that is just a random example lol).

What I have really found, more than anything, is that 99% of this is mental. I am not sure we are really hungry, sometimes I think that we are so used to being able to eat what we want, when we wanted, that we just THINK we are hungry. I went through 9 months of appointments, support meetings, counseling, etc and to me that is worth following my own personal & the dietiticans guidelines to a "t". So now if I think I am hungry I do a check and refer back to the book "MINDLESS EATING" where it tells you the differences in hunger, here they are:

Physical hunger

1-Builds Gradually

2-Strikes below the neck (ie growling stomach)

3-Occurs several hours after a meal

4-Goes away when full

5-Eating leads to feeling of satisfaction

Emotional hunger

1-Develops suddenly

2-Above the neck (ie a “taste/craving” for ice cream)

3-Unrelated to time

4-Persists despite fullness

5-Eating leads to guilt and/or shame

I hope this has helped someone.

Hugs and good luck,

JulieG

Now that I am on regular solid foods, I can eat nor more than a cup.:thumbup:

My nutritionist says to eat 3 small meals and 3 small Snacks (ex: cheese stick, yogurt, fruit etc...) if I am hungry between meals. I haven't had a fill yet....

My instructions say eat 5 times a day with emphasis on Protein up to 1/2 cup but never more. It says NEVER weigh my food because an ounce in weight i not the same as an ounce in volume. I do not always, or I should say seldom, measure my food, but I can tell I don't go much over 1/2 cup. I eat until I am no longer hungry and try to tell how to stop before I am full! I am still learning! I also find it difficult to eat 5 times a day and usually eat only 4 at the most. I do get in at least 1000 calories I believe and all the protein.

I have no real life experience yet with portion size but my doctor stresses no drinking 1 hour before and 2 hours after a meal to keep full. Not sure how that works in practice.

I have never heard of not drinking for 2 hours after a meal. Some doctors say a half an hour, but most say one hour after a meal.

I don't go by a measuring cup. I can judge it by the palm of my hand. I can eat meat and veggies and the whole portion is about the size of my palm, with the meat cut up very very tiny.

Edited by Oregondaisy

I think these are all guidelines and as we get more experienced we will find what works best for us. As long as we are getting in all of our Protein and other nutrients and losing steadily, I don't think we need to be really that rigid. I know some days I am really hungry and eat more small meals and other days my appetite is very little and I may only eat twice. I am not going to eat if I am not hungry!!!!!!! If I am hungry 7 times, I will eat some extra protein. My body will tell me what it needs.

I don't Portion Control. I eat until I'm satisfied (not full). Sometimes it's quite a lot, sometimes it's a couple of bites of hard Protein that sits heavily. As per my Drs instructions, I try to have hard Protein for most meals, with a variety of veg and a little carb.

I've only had two fills and don't think I'm at my sweet spot yet, but since my last fill, I don't seem to get hungry as often (am enjoying that feeling while it lasts!). So right now, I am listening to my body and only trying to eat when I'm actually feeling hungry and not because it's time for a meal. That's what my Dr told me - eat when you're hungry, not necessarily 3 meals, or every 2-3 hours. It seems to be working for me, so will continue in that vein, I think.

I think you have the right idea. And, it looks like it's been working for you too!!!!! Congrats on your great weight loss!

I have no real life experience yet with portion size but my doctor stresses no drinking 1 hour before and 2 hours after a meal to keep full. Not sure how that works in practice.

I thought that was what I had to do before I got banded because I had read that a few times times. Thankfully, I don't. But, if you think about it, it really doesn't make good sense. That would be 3 hrs with each time eating with no Fluid. If you had 3 meal and 2 Snacks, that would be 15 hrs a day with no fluid!!!!! When are you supposed to drink 64 oz of Water? ??

Not sure if this helps, but my nutritionist is strict about not drinking 30 minutes before your meal, during your meal, and 30 minutes after your meal. She says that the liquid will wash the food through your pouch opening and make you hungry quicker.

Good luck!

I have trouble with my portions but I am only day 8 post op. I really need to try and focus but the hunger pains really kill me. I cant wait until my first fill and to hopefully feel some restriction and fullness