Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low carb, hi protein

Can you tell me as it seems lots of people lose weight by low carb and high Protein, what it does why it is so good, are there any things i should do? i know high protein not good for kidneys, so does that mean drink drink drink more Water. please summerise what needs to be done . many thanks, seems to work for you guys, was reading the low carb threads, thanx.

Slimmy - I don't have the "science" behind they why, but in my case I really just lost the craving for my "Carbs" which I defined as the P's:

Pretzles

pizza

Potatos / chips

Pasta

I was never a "sweet" tooth, but give me something salty ... YUM. My total downfall. Right now, I feel I have to add some Carbs into my diet (complex ones) because I'm working out pretty hard & some days I get a little dizzy & my trainer is like you have to eat more carbs...Can't be 100% Protein. He's right...but for me in the beginning I had to break my addiction so to speak, and cut them out all together - None in the house, ya get the idea.

Hope you get more answers - :thumbup:

Slimmy - I don't have the "science" behind they why, but in my case I really just lost the craving for my "Carbs" which I defined as the P's:

Pretzles

pizza

Potatos / chips

Pasta

I was never a "sweet" tooth, but give me something salty ... YUM. My total downfall. Right now, I feel I have to add some Carbs into my diet (complex ones) because I'm working out pretty hard & some days I get a little dizzy & my trainer is like you have to eat more carbs...Can't be 100% Protein. He's right...but for me in the beginning I had to break my addiction so to speak, and cut them out all together - None in the house, ya get the idea.

Hope you get more answers - :smile:

Thanx your starting to head me in the right direction

Simple carbs like the 4 P's mentioned above hit your system and burn quickly, just like sugar. There's not much to them so they don't keep you feeling full, so you get hungry again quickly.

A complex carb has Fiber so your body spends more time breaking it down, it releases more slowly into your system so you stay fuller longer.

Protein releases yet more slowly and keeps you feeling full longer but a diet with no Fiber will make you constipated. So it's important to have some fiber and that means you'll get some carbs.

You can choose very low carb vegetables, like Atkins, but that's really not much fun and they allow for some seriously high fat. It all goes to pot when you stop doing it.

Learning to eat a well rounded diet with lean Protein and good complex carbs and some non trans fats is the best way to feed your body healthily for a life time.

But it's not easy to do when high fat, simple carbs taste so good...hehehe and they are cheap, well advertised, and on every corner. But that's a different rant.

It is generally considered best to eat low gylcemic carbs. you can look up a gylcemic chart online. Basically, the higher gylcemic carbs require our bodies to release more insulin. We get hungrier faster with higher gylcemic foods. Protein, lower gylcemic and higher fiber foods keep us satisified longer.

So the carbs that are the best to eat are green veggies, some fruits and whole grains as they add fiber to our diets as well.

Edited by shortgal

Basically, eating low to no carbs puts your body into a high fat burning mode. This is why Atkins got so popular cause your body would burn fat even wtih no exercise. Basically sugars are fast burning and if your not exercising then your body thinks that your body doesn't need to use the energy and goes into fat storage mode. With no carbs your body process the energy slowly and thinks your body needs the energy now and goes into fat burning mode.

This is why alot of atikins diet feel they have more energy.

i wouldnt suggest an Atkins approach, as your brain cells need the carbs. a well balanced diet, w/ good carbs, good fats, is healthy. having a higher percentage of Protein is good, for the reasons already mentioned.

if you are doing any weight training, its good to have some carbs about 30 min. to an hour before, for the energy. then follow up afterwards w/ heavy Protein meal.

i have a close friend who is very into nutrition and body building. he has given me great advice.

My pre-op diet is high Protein, low carb. I have a kidney disorder and didn't want to eat an over abundance of animal protein as it is hard on my kidneys. So, I try to get in as much soy protein as possible. Instead of whey Protein Powder, I got a soy protein powder that I mix with lite, low carb soy milk. There are many very good meat alternatives if you look for them. One of my favorites is Melissa's soy chorizo which I find with the fresh veggies at my local store. I know most people cringe at the thought of soy anything. Especially since most people think tofu. It's not that bad and you get used to it. When I found out about my kidneys I bought several vegetarian cookbooks. There are many creative ways to eat soy protein. I never would have thought that I would eat it, much less like it. We've always been huge meat eaters. Don't get me wrong, I still love my animal protein, I just try to eat less of it than I used to. So anyway, if you are worried about your kidneys you might want to try it. It's still protein, but is easier on the kidneys. That's my two cents. Good luck!

Well i am going to stick to good wholegrain carbs when have carbs and up the Protein, but dont know how i fitted that frankfurta i had for lunch on corn thins and quarter of cup of peas for lunch into the equation, shouldnt of had such junk -- frankfurta, but hey it was boiled not a fried greasy sausage so when for the better alternative, got to keep the better choices happening, even as in this case being the better of the two evils.