Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing and Bathing Suit advice, please!

I usually have pretty good fashion sense, but I am stumped as to what I should wear to an upcoming work conference in early May. It's being held at the Kalahari Water park and resort, so I am thinking a bathing suit is going to be necessary at some point (major trauma picking one out under "normal circumstances". The location of the conf. suggests to me that business casual would be appropriate. My shape is Apple-ish, with slim legs and unfortunately a belly. I wear about a size 14-16. I want to look comfortable and professional and prefer not to wear the expected khakis and comfy shoes--I am looking for stylish.

And for all you fellow apple shaped gals--what bathing suit do you feel is most flattering without being tooooooo matronly. I don't want to sex it up, since it's work, but I don't want to look like someone's gramma, either!

Thanks for any help/advice.

Kimber-lilly:smile:

I have bought 3 different tops--bathing suit tops I mean. 2 from Target, and one online from a maternity place! I am large chested, and tall---so it give me length!!! The tops are different styles, but all have full bras in them, one is a halter style with a metal ring between the breasts---kinda sexy without being overtly so. I pair all of them with boycut black bottoms. That covers the belly (which is my HUGE problem area) and also the upper thigh, and I don't have to worry about bikini lines.....etc. The A line cut of the black top I have gives me curves---or at least the illusion of curves!

As for out of the pool---I would opt for some lightweight dresses. Getting a dress that fits up on top, and is loose through the belly area--is usually pretty easy and flattering. Pair it with some wedged thong type of sandals, and it looks girly, and not matronly----and yet ready for work, or most any restaurant you would go in to.

Be sure to go have a nice pedicure done, so your toes look good peeking out of the sandals.

Look for an A Line cut on the dress, some nice gauzy ones are out, and they do not show the wrinkles caused by sitting in meetings, then getting up to go somewhere.

There are also some really classy looking capri/top sets out there. Once again paired with just a slight heel, will keep it from being too casual.

You can dress some outfits up with jewelry!

I am someones Gramma--but don't always like looking it!!

Have fun!

Kat

I am an apple shape as well and I find that fitted boycut bottoms only makes my narrow hips and thighs look even smaller. I have tried on several pair. If you are anything like me then you probably have really nice legs so don't be afraid to show them off. I like tankinis and they look great on most people. If you must wear shorts of some sort outside of the pool I would opt for one with a slightly loose fit instead.

I would also suggest getting a longer cut top because most apple shaped women do not look well in tops that stop at the waist. It tends to make the waist look thicker. I like to wear a cute cami with a light weight shirt over it because it hides the my love handles. Also like Kat 817 mentioned A lined dresses look great on almost anyone and it helps to give you a waist. Don't forget the cute shoes and accesories and enjoy yourself!!!!!!!!!!

Try this website: Waist Minimizer

thank you both for your quick replies! That is a very nice bathing suit website. I like a few of them and think they might work.

clothing wise, I think I am going to take your advice and look for a sharp A-line dress and some great shoes and accessories. I am very happy working for this company and I want to look FAB, so I can get on the radar of the higher ups and maybe get a promotion!

I swear by Nordstrom's online plus size shop. (Plus Shop - Nordstrom)

The clothes are on the expensive side, but investing in a few nice pieces and mixing them into your existing wardrobe works really well. Also, there are some good deals to be had with a little bit of planning and luck. Often, when I don't like the price, or my desired size/color is sold out I'll search Ebay with the designer name and the name of the clothing item--sometimes that can work out REALLY well, sometimes not.

Especially look at the dresses--there are SO many options (professional, casual, evening etc) and the concept of dresses as professional wear has really made a serious comeback in the past couple of years. Also, it's nice because one nice dress costs a little more than one pair of really nice pants or skirt or blouse costs but you only have to buy the one item! I find wearing a dress to be a great shortcut to looking "done" with very little fuss. It's amazing how just wearing a dress and blow drying my hair (not even styling--just using the dryer) makes me look like I've spent much longer getting ready than I have!

Also, at 14/16 you can look in the Missus' section as well, but pay close attention to the size charts (each item should have a link to that designer's size chart--and they vary wildly). Look at where the article of clothing fits the tightest (most of the time it's the waist but some dresses and tops are the bust) and go by that measurement when selecting your size.

Hope this helps :regular_smile: