Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Exercise Challenge

It went great, LULUC! Thank you! I just posted this over on the "bycyling" thread, but wanted to post it here, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, guys! I just got in from Tour Dallas, and WOW!

IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!

We got off to a rocky start. Start time was 8am...us 30 milers were set to head out first. No wait...safety issue. Give us 10 minutes. IT WAS COLD THIS MORNING and I wanted to get moving! 10 minutes passes...still have safety issue, which is the company with the cones and barricades is a no show! JEEZ it couldn't have been a worse scenario. Scrambling for tons more Dallas Police to cover most every intersection on the routes. There were 3 routes...8, 20 and 30. At 8:30 we take off! Those cops volunteered and showed up FAST and they were SO NICE at every intersection, cheering us on! Okay, this was my first organized event, and i almost chewed pavement at the starting line! It is SO DIFFERENT riding with THOUSANDS of people! Very slow getting going, as you might expect, but it was REALLY slow. Picked up quick, though.

It was a fantastic ride! Beautiful weather, nice people, great ride support. Went through downtown, through the historic district, around Lake Ray Hubbard. And Texas is flat, so where the hell did all those hills come from?!?!? My legs are SHOT. First time with my aerobars, too. I like them, though it was close quarters and so many twists and turns much of the time that I didn't settle into them very often.

At the end, there were cops and spectators yelling and cheering, bringing us in to the party area where they were handing out Water, sodas, monster something-or-other drinks, pizza to all the riders. So I hung out for a bit visiting and drinking my monster and Water before heading back to my truck to load up.

I'm exhausted and exhilerated (sp?) all at the same time! Exhausted wins, though...I'm off for a shower and a nap!

I'll make a slide show later with all the pics I took and post a link here! I should've taken more, but I was having so much fun that I would forget about the camera around my neck!

See y'all laterz!

I posted this on the wrong challenge thread...anywho here it is:

I know i am a bit late with this BUT...I am going to commit to 20 hrs of exercise this month.

I only got to the gym once this week, I did 45 minutes on the elliptical. On Wednesday I went for a 2 mile walk, about a 1 hour in total including. I saw the actor Lawrence Fishburne during that walk.

I but I made up for no gym with 7 hours of shopping, most of which was spent chasing my 2 year old cousin around the stores.

Subtracting travel time and lunch it was about 5 hours of walking and toddler wrangling.

So...I am calculating 7 hours this past week.

PLUS 1 hour today. 15mins w/trainer, 20mins on the elliptical, 25mins FitV aerobics show.

Thats 8hrs.

Stef-great job on the ride! Sounds like it was alot of fun. And, of course, having the police there cheering you on had to be fun.:Dancing_wub:

As for me, I did my lower body workout Friday night to end the 3 wk cycle at 12 reps each exercise.

Saturday morning, I had decided to try my own little 5k around the neighborhood. I have a couple different routes I take while walking the dog. One is .9 mile around, another is 2.2 miles=3.1 miles. Started off with my dog Willie on the .9 mile route, got by my house and put him in the house as he is too fat after this winter. Then, went on the 2.2 mile route. Ran the whole way, which amazed me figuring the outdoor run would be harder than on the treadmill. After, hopped in the Explorer and went to the gym. 65 minutes on the elliptical and then home with DD while DW went to the office. Later, took Willie for a 1.5 mile walk around the neighborhood on a different route.

Sunday, couldn't go outside due to rain:frown:. So, 2 hr 15 minutes on elliptical.

This morning was 50 minutes on the elliptical. Tonight is back to the gym to start a new 3 wk cycle.

No bike riding due to having DD all day on Saturday and rain yesterday. So, I'll get some in this week hopefully.

congrats txf on the race!!

went for a 2hr mountain bike ride yesterday.....had forgotten how many hills were around lake grapevine, i was saturated by the time we got back to the car. i think dh and i will plan on doing this one day a wkend vs the gym - we both like the outdoors much more, and it's not 100 degrees out >>>YET!!

took a early yoga class & had to be back home for my painters - so i'm hoping to get a walk in tonight w/hubby if possible..

Went to the gym today and I did:

45 minutes strength training (arms, abs, legs)

30 minutes fast walk on treadmill

Wow, I really need to step it up! You all are doing so well. Ceradad, 2 hrs. 15 min on the elliptical? Whew, I'm sweating just thinking about that!

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement on Tour Dallas! And yes, Ceradad...it was wonderful having all those cops along the route cheering us on! :lol:

OMG! 2 hrs and 15 min on the elliptical?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I might have heart failure just envisioning that!!!!!!

I bow down to you, Ceradad!

Today was a short day for us, so we did biceps and triceps. Great workout! I really noticed a difference this week after pushing biceps last week...was able to increase my weight again. YAY! After an hour, my workout partner had to pick up his little girl from toutoring, so I stayed and did some ab work...six sets of twelve knee raises. Then I headed out myself for an early exit for once.

If it isn't raining in the morning, I'm going for a bike ride. Not sure how far...will let the moment dictate. See y'all tomorrow!

Thank you, thank you ladies. But, seriously, no need to bow down to me. I'm just a simple man......with illusions of grandeur (sp) like any other man, of course.:thumbs_up: But, it really isn't that difficult for me with the movie playing on the big screen. Just watch the movie and time flies.

Last night was the beginning of the new 3 wk cycle for upper body as mentioned. Increased the weights and changed most of the exercises, 7 reps per. This morning was 65 minutes on the elliptical again-5.41 miles and 1115 calories. Tonight will be lower body.

I'm envious of your bike riding abilities. I wish the weather would get about 10 degrees warmer so I could get out there. Had that one good weekend and then nothing. Maybe I'm just too big a baby to go riding in 40 degree weather.:blush:

Oh, and Stef, trust me, if the cops down there are like most, they cheer on all hotties regardless of the activity. That just gave them a chance to do it in the open.:party::)

Oh, and I weighed myself at the gym on Sunday. Read at 270, but I'm not changing things yet. I tend to bounce a couple lbs every couple of days. I'll check again later this week. We'll see if that holds true. But, it would be a pretty big milestone for me. When I started this whole thing, I said I wanted to be btwn 250 and 270 at the end of it. I revised it later as the weight started falling off. But, it would be my initial goal is met.

Edited by Ceradad

One more thing I thought I would share. The most amazing thing has been happening to me more and more at work lately. People are passing me, coming up to me or just plain stopping me and telling me how great I look.:thumbs_up: I love it. Since I had been wearing my uniform windbreaker most of the winter, and it is now about 2 sizes too big, most people apparently weren't paying that close of attention to me over the winter. Now that I gave up the windbreaker even with the temp being only in the 40's, people are noticing.

Again, I LOVE IT! It just keep me motivated to keep working at it and get to my goal weight. Then, we'll see. Lately, I've been considering lowering my goal weight to 225. I think it actually may be doable.

congrats, ceradad! :thumbs_up: What a great feeling... and thanks for sharing your positive experiences! It's nice to hear for those of us still at the start of our journey.

As for moi, the fiance and I went to the gym last night. Did about an hour or so of elliptical, chest/back/shoulders/arms, and then played catch with a medicine ball on Bosu balls... SO MUCH FUN. It was a great workout, and we were laughing and enjoying ourselves at the same time. If anyone has other "couple" workout ideas, let me know!

Back to the gym today... and I'm using My Plate to track the food. So far so good... okay, it's only been a day and a half but I've gotta start somewhere! :blush:

Hi

What is the couch to 5 K program?

I recently bought a nike + and I pod to motivate myself to walk and then to start to run. I already walk an hour a day.

Rose

Edited by Rose_angle90

ceradad - love your devotion!!!!

today -

20min warm up on bike

1hr w/trainer - boot camp is just plain killing me

with that said - got a question for you guys. food / NUTRITION.

by the time my session was over i was shaking (literally), trainer got me a Protein shake and i was able to get half down.....felt nauseaus, but tried to get the Protein in (trainer is big on getting protein in w/in 30minutes after a workout).

my typical Breakfast is a Fiber Cereal w/fresh berries & milk (2%) & i eat that 40minutes or so before hitting the gym. the rest of the day i have 2 more meals that are high in protein - complex carbs. my trainer today told me i needed to eat more and get more carbs in, actually he's been telling me this for a while - i just have a hard time eating much more than 1000 a day...and lets face it carbs are what got me "fluffy" to begin with so i tried to break my addiction to them, and did so in the early months of getting the band.

i think now - i need to make some changes - wanted to hear what you guys are eating in coordination w/some serious working out.???.

any input totally appreciated....

ceradad - love your devotion!!!!

today -

20min warm up on bike

1hr w/trainer - boot camp is just plain killing me

with that said - got a question for you guys. food / NUTRITION.

by the time my session was over i was shaking (literally), trainer got me a Protein shake and i was able to get half down.....felt nauseaus, but tried to get the Protein in (trainer is big on getting protein in w/in 30minutes after a workout).

my typical Breakfast is a Fiber Cereal w/fresh berries & milk (2%) & i eat that 40minutes or so before hitting the gym. the rest of the day i have 2 more meals that are high in protein - complex carbs. my trainer today told me i needed to eat more and get more carbs in, actually he's been telling me this for a while - i just have a hard time eating much more than 1000 a day...and lets face it carbs are what got me "fluffy" to begin with so i tried to break my addiction to them, and did so in the early months of getting the band.

i think now - i need to make some changes - wanted to hear what you guys are eating in coordination w/some serious working out.???.

I am just beginning my hard workout action... but having been a pretty serious athlete in the past, I know that complex carbs help with energy levels.. and if you are really working hard (which it sounds like you are!), I would follow your trainer's advice and try to get some carbs in.

I found this link... complex carbohydrates foods list - good sources of complex carbohydrates, which I think explains it pretty well. Keep in mind, your idea of cutting out carbs is probably because you were addicted to simple carbs and processed foods. Complex carbs will help you!

Honestly, I don't worry about the carbs too much. I just watch what I am eating. I do not snack on candy, chips, chocolate the way I used. Now, my Snacks consist of a Protein drink, milk, kashi cereal.

That being said, I have felt the way you are decribing from time to time. Usually, after a very intense workout. For me, it seems to come more from the blood going to bigger muscle groups during the workout than anything else. I do believe in the whole Protein w/i half hr after the workout. Makes a difference in how I feel afterwards and in my recovery.

thanks both - !! i'm just going to start adding them into the diet much more now (thanks mandilou for the website). i feel 6 months out i'm going to do a u-turn and change my food up big time, because working w/the trainer twice a wk, plus additional days @ the gym is leaving me pretty depleated. and no more fills!!! i might even have a bit taken out so i can get more calories in....appreciate the feedback.

I'm envious of your bike riding abilities. I wish the weather would get about 10 degrees warmer so I could get out there. Had that one good weekend and then nothing. Maybe I'm just too big a baby to go riding in 40 degree weather.:drool:

Oh, and Stef, trust me, if the cops down there are like most, they cheer on all hotties regardless of the activity. That just gave them a chance to do it in the open.:tt2::eek:

I hear ya on the cold...since you do live where it is colder longer, I would definitely get a good pair of cycling tights with a good chamois. I wear them even here in Texas during winter. They really do a good job of keeping your warm and comfortable. And they are OH SO SEXY! (NOT) I would also recommend a pair of TOESTIES to keep your toes from freezing. Performance Bike - Home for all your cycling needs! always has good deals on these things and are likely on sale big-time now that it's getting warmer in most places.

One more thing I thought I would share. The most amazing thing has been happening to me more and more at work lately. People are passing me, coming up to me or just plain stopping me and telling me how great I look.:wub: I love it. Since I had been wearing my uniform windbreaker most of the winter, and it is now about 2 sizes too big, most people apparently weren't paying that close of attention to me over the winter. Now that I gave up the windbreaker even with the temp being only in the 40's, people are noticing.

Again, I LOVE IT! It just keep me motivated to keep working at it and get to my goal weight. Then, we'll see. Lately, I've been considering lowering my goal weight to 225. I think it actually may be doable.

That's so great, Ceradad! You are really rockin' the band! I bet you are a real hottie yourself!

And yes, I think the cops just loved seeing all us gals in our little lycra shorts! :frown:

Hi

What is the couch to 5 K program?

I recently bought a nike + and I pod to motivate myself to walk and then to start to run. I already walk an hour a day.

Rose

The Couch to 5K Program is a beginner running program that I have yet to see fail. It's really good. You can find it at MarathonGuide.com - Marathons, Running Directory and Community and if you haven't set up your free ITUNES account yet, do so and you can download the C25K Podcast to your IPOD for free!

What is a Nike+ ? :confused2:

with that said - got a question for you guys. food / NUTRITION. by the time my session was over i was shaking (literally), trainer got me a Protein shake and i was able to get half down.....felt nauseaus, but tried to get the Protein in (trainer is big on getting protein in w/in 30minutes after a workout).

my typical breakfast is a fiber cereal w/fresh berries & milk (2%) & i eat that 40minutes or so before hitting the gym. the rest of the day i have 2 more meals that are high in protein - complex carbs. my trainer today told me i needed to eat more and get more carbs in, actually he's been telling me this for a while - i just have a hard time eating much more than 1000 a day...and lets face it carbs are what got me "fluffy" to begin with so i tried to break my addiction to them, and did so in the early months of getting the band.

I agree with your trainer and Ceradad. I eat a lot more than the typical bandster because I work hard at the gym and on my bike. In fact I've been studying eating/fueling for endurance events/training for some time now. What you are eating before you go is good, but you might try eating a small apple on your way to the gym. I do and it helps a lot. Frutose is a great boost for your workout. Of course, with my tight fill, I have to peel it first, but so be it. If you are working hard most days of the week, I would recommend upping your protein, too.