Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill Misery

Yesterday when I went in I was unsure whether I'd get a fill or not. Since Easter I've been pretty able to eat fairly well and had felt very little restriction. We discussed it and decided to do just a small fill. She gave me .5cc which brought me to 6.25cc. I was fine yesterday, starving and dying for today so I could eat. I was drinking easily last night and thought I might even need to go in and have it tweaked next week. So today I wake up and I was able to drink my Water fairly ok this morning, but I felt some restriction. I was pleased. Then I stopped to get my lite frappuchino on my way to work (for my breakfast) and after 3+ hours I still had at least a quarter of it left. So into the trash it went. Then I sipped some water and it wasn't going down too easily even in sips... I have that ball in the throat feeling everyone talks about. So I go out at lunch and do my 1/2 hour walk. I come in and grabbed a Protein shake... 2 hours later I still have 75% of it left so into the trash it goes. I came home from work at 6:30 and was able to eat a little egg salad I made yesterday. I'm at less than 300 calories for the day. If this is swelling, it's not going anywhere quickly. My option is to go in tomorrow and get a slight unfill or wait until next week on Tuesday/Thursday. I don't think I can do the weekend this full. I'm going to call in the morning and see if I can get in at lunch time tomorrow. I never want to be this filled. I don't want to risk slippage, I don't want to hurt my esophagus, but most importantly I want to EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always have an issue with this after a fill. I can drink with difficulty for 3 days... then for about a week I can only eat mushies. It really puts me in a good place becasue I lose about 5-10 pounds... then it's like starting all over again. This will be up to you. If you can't get down liquids, and you are sipping, sipping, sipping... then go for an unfil. If you CAN sip... but, you just don't get around to it... make more of an attempt to sip... and wait a few days.

That sounds almost exactly where I am. I can't drink very quickly or I get that "ball in the throat" thing. I can only eat between 3-5 bites of anything before I have to walk away (and in the morning it's only 1-2 bites). I know I'm on the edge of being too full, but I personally like it that way. I can't eat anything, but then, to me, that was kind of the point :-) But, I know that many people would not like it. I know that this fill is exactly where I want to be. I'm not going to die of hunger, I can drink what I need to, and I'm losing weight. It's not always fun, but very effective. I would suggest you decide what the maximum is that you can live with and try to find that balance. If you can't live with this fill, then get a slight unfill. But, if you can, then do it an enjoy the ride, however bumpy it may be :-)

I am always swollen for several days and can't even drink too well but it is important to be able to at least get Water or milk down. If you cant say by tomorrow I would get unfilled - dehydration I have learned can make your band even tighter and make your vomit and then you get even more swollen.

Thanks you guys! Last night was hell. I just continued to close up and by bed was unable to drink a sip without sliming. When I went to bed it felt like I had reflux and I slept propped up. Even so I was awakened when I aspirated some Fluid that must have come up from my stomach. I moved to the couch and slept sitting upright for the rest of the night. I use the word sleep very loosely. I was in a lot of pain in my chest and back and was downright miserable. This morning I ended up throwing up a cup full of saliva. This helped relieve some of my pain. So that was good... I decided I needed some taken out. I was at my Drs. office before by 8:30 and feeling much better by 9. All she removed was .25cc but I feel so much better. I have been able to drink a Protein Shake, some Water and I'm now having lunch in the form of a Protein smoothie. Life is good again!

I think it is always a personal choice. When I had my second fill I felt fine until I got home, then after about an hour I was in tons of pain to the point my whole body started reacting negatively. I had to go to the ER and my Dr. took the fill out. I am now lower than my first fill and kinda nervous about even having another fill. Has this happen to any of ya'll?