Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Just a quick update, I have lost 10 lbs since Surgery...

Yesterday, I had (non-painful) gas bubbles in my tummy, so no room for CIB Protein Drinks. Thanks Goodness for GAS-X strips!

So I met with Dr. Robinson yesterday and he could not believe I had not booked a surgery date! I told him he said not to until I saw him...his response was "we have to get on that"! LOL So he wants to try and squeeze me in for july at the faulkner! I talked to jennifer and she said that he wants to schedule me for July but he doesnt realize he is booked but he wants to sneak me in! So basically IDK when exactly I will be having surgery but hopefully it all does work out for july!!!! :ihih:

So I met with Dr. Robinson yesterday and he could not believe I had not booked a surgery date! I told him he said not to until I saw him...his response was "we have to get on that"! LOL So he wants to try and squeeze me in for july at the faulkner! I talked to jennifer and she said that he wants to schedule me for July but he doesnt realize he is booked but he wants to sneak me in! So basically IDK when exactly I will be having surgery but hopefully it all does work out for july!!!! :ihih:

Glad to hear it! Seems like it's been a while.....he's kind of clueless, even if he is really bright! When the time is right, it will happen. :eek: Good luck!

It took me a while to get my surgery booked, and then it was re-scheduled at least once, with lots of tentative dates intermingled...

I think luv2teech is right, it happens when it is the best time for you. I know I used the intervening months to prep myself for the restricted diet that is mandatory following the procedure. And to prep emotionally as well. By the time my date finally arrived, I was about as ready as I could possibly be.

It helps I am not in pain, or having problems, other than gassy bubbles yesterday and today. It got a little annoying in a meeting since I could not stand and walk, or, uh... pass gas... :rolleyes: LOLOL

I will probably post this elsewhere on LBT, but I thought I would ask our local bandsters...

Since the guys at work bring lots of homemade food to work, and I was subjected to all the smells that go with it... I finally developed some appetite today, so I started playing a game with myself, as to what I can try to eat my first meals...

Any ideas? I need somethings for a couple of days until the weekend when i can be a little more experimental. I thought I would save a poached egg for Saturday a.m.

So??? What did YOU try at first, and what worked best? What are some things less likely to disagree with a bandster tummy who has to go to work and not be all hurling or otherwise unwell???

Hi Folks, just checking in. Congrats to the latest bandsters. I must say, no regrets on my part.

What I learned since May 5 surgery date:

I was worried when I gained 4 lbs after my post op appointment with the Doc. Seemed I couldn't shed those pounds. Then last Monday, those dastardly 4 lbs were gone. My clothes continue to get quite roomy. Magic moment happened last night when my husband said to me, your sweat pants are baggy in the seat. Ah...it's those little things that keep you going! LOL.

Talk about bandster hell...I have felt hungry lately but always watch what I grab to eat. In fact, for some reason, my hunger demands Protein, not sweets. I also find that I tend to desire small portions. I feel like I have actually changed my behavior and attitude towards food. Oh and the band....well it really does remind you that it is there when your bites are too big or you don't chew enough. It really is amazing! I am starting to love my band...my little buddy.

Next Wed is my first fill. I am ready for it. I am so excited to start to lose some serious weight. As to how I feel, I take up less room, have more energy, feel more feminine, and self esteem is increasing. What a gift I (and Aetna) have given myself. Now I just got to pay for it all. LOL!

My incisions, I have 5, healed nicely. I can feel the port under my right breast. Feels strange but I think it will be easy to find for the fills. Fingers crossed.

For food, I moved out of mushies very quickly after 2 weeks of liquid. I eat lots of fish, green Beans, tuna and chicken mixed with low fat Miracle Whip. I tried the FF may, sour cream and ricotta and hated it so switched to low fat and use it sparingly. Breakfast is smoothies with EAS Protein Powder and some fruit and weekends, an omelet with ham and cheese - small pieces. FF Jello and FF pudding for my sweet tooth, string cheese for lunch. I split everything with my husband - meat, fish, chicken, FF refried beans, and rarely ever throw food away (wasted so much food when pre banded). Hubby is losing weight. Last but not least, plan, plan, plan. I never get caught without something to eat - my food. As long as I have a plan, there's no way I will cheat unless I want to!

I am writing like a fool because I am so happy with the decision to band. It's all good. :rolleyes::thumbup:

Viv, Thanks Much for sharing your strategies and experiences! I am still trying to figure out what I should eat on my first mush day, so I will not be ill at work...

So I met with Dr. Robinson yesterday and he could not believe I had not booked a surgery date! I told him he said not to until I saw him...his response was "we have to get on that"! LOL So he wants to try and squeeze me in for july at the faulkner! I talked to jennifer and she said that he wants to schedule me for July but he doesnt realize he is booked but he wants to sneak me in! So basically IDK when exactly I will be having surgery but hopefully it all does work out for july!!!! :laugh:

So I haven't posted in a while and have mostly been lurking. I thought I was the only one left that hadn't been banded yet. All my cardiac tests came back clear and I called today to schedule something for late August or early Sept. I have too many things already scheduled that it would be hard to pull off a surgery and not tell anyone. I'm doing pretty well. I joined weight watchers this week in hopes to lose 20 before. My next goal for myself is to join the gym, but need to be really ready before I spend the money and not go again!

just wanted to say hi and congrats to all the newbies. Hope things are going smoothly and hope you all have a great weekend! :thumbdown:

Hi ThinkingAboutIt, you will get there!!! It felt like forever in my case... but I got through it, and now, healing so fast. I went to sleep in the OR and woke up with a Band, and I am so stoked to be banded finally. This process, for me, actually started in 2002-2003, but insurance would not approve it back then. One the insurance did approve these surgeries, I was not into it, but my PCP kept bringing it up.

And now I am sitting here with a band, starting my last week of post-op Protein Drink diet, trying to figure out what I am going to put in my mouth when I get to eat (semi) solids again

:thumbup:

:confused:

Edited by ibelieve
typo, what else is it ever???

Hello Bandsters,

Got my first fill yesterday. It was non-eventful. I didn't feel a thing. I received 2 cc's. I have to say that my appetite did increase during the last two weeks so this fill came at just the right time. Back on liquids with mushies on tap for tomorrow and back to food on Saturday.

I have to say that although I am scared that I won't stay away from sweets, exercise enough or follow the meal rules consistently, I am still enormously relieved that I finally have help with this problem I wrestled with my entire life. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's not the total answer and that I am still responsible to decide what goes in my mouth.

My clothes are getting big! I look down and see my arms and my thighs and am surprised to see them smaller. My belly is not getting in the way like it was, sleeping better, fit better in my car seat AND I can cross my legs! Soon it will be time to buy some new slacks for work and a few tops. I wonder if shopping will be more enjoyable with still much weight to lose. I hope so.

Oh well...time for some chicken broth...yum! NOT! But of course nothing feels better than being thin!! :thumbup:

Hi Viv and iBelieve!

Isn't a it a relief to have it done?

Thinking...your date will be here before you know it.

I had a surgery during the hot summer a few years ago and it was horrible with the perspiration and the incisions. So you will be heading into the cooler weather perhaps and will not have to trouble yourself about infection from sweat. Hang in there.

Fills. I have a follow up in early July, and am hoping to have a first fill then. Perhaps it is too early..it will be 6-7 weeks post op...I don;t know. He didn't actually come out and say the visit was for a fill.

Incisions are healing up nicely but still a bit sore on the wasteband line.

As for eating...I am on my last mushy day. I have (a few times) forgotten to chew chew chew and swallowed too soon...eating at the computer does that...and the food just sat like a baseball in my chest. I wondered how something so small could feel so gargantuan in my chest!

It was a good reminder each time to do what the seasoned Bandsters at the Support Group called 'Listen to you Band'. It does send out warnings to me, even without a fill..."Stop! You've had Enough", "Slow Down and Chew", "No! Resist the urge to sip after swallowing that bite that feels stuck".

Weight has been slowly going down..not much, but headed in the right direction. I find that it is the sodium in the broths..even low sodium..which will cause Water retention weight gain in me.

The only thing I can kvetch about is the fatigue which I hear is normal til about 6 weeks after surgery. A trip to the market does me in as does a few minutes of slow walking on the treadmill. So I continue the Protein.< /p>

Good to hear from you all.

Singing,

For whatever reason, I am also very sensitive to the sodium in EVERYTHING. To counteract, I make sure I drink plenty of Water to keep it flushing out and work out. The more I keep my system moving, the better it seems to work! I've also started really looking at all ingredients, even when making my own food. Canned tomatoes, broth, even frozen meals are all high in sodium! Also, low fat salad dressings and different seasonings can be high.

Hope you're all doing well. I have a fill scheduled for the 29th...this time AFTER tomorrow's 5K. I won't make the mistake of being filled before a race EVER again! I've been able to eat everything in sight---oh, and I pretty much have. Thank goodness for exercise as I'm able to stay within the range of where I want to be. Now if I can just drop this stupid 10 pounds I've struggled with for the past 5 months..... :sad::smile::blink::smile::D:smile::wink2::smile:

Banding has me doing something I have Never done before..scrutinize labels like a hawk...especially the # of servings per container!

Good luck on your race. Will you run if it rains?

Banding has me doing something I have Never done before..scrutinize labels like a hawk...especially the # of servings per container!

Good luck on your race. Will you run if it rains?

Thanks! I will run, rain or shine. I'm running in memory of a close friend who succumbed to ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease in 2005. There is a group of us running in his honor, so even if I'm slow...I have to do it. :sad: