Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

I just want to thank everyone for being on this board. I find all of the information SO helpful.

I go tomorrow for my pre-op and last meeting with Dr. R before surgery! I'll let you know how it goes.

sleep apnea that severe, CAN be alleviated or cured altogether, with weight loss. I see the Lap-Band as a major tool, in my goal to lose most or all of my excess weight and beat severe sleep apnea, so that I will no longer fear relationships, and sharing my little bedtime secret with someone else.

But even if you decide against the band, do work hard to adjust to using a C-PAP machine. It has done wonders for me. I was exhausted, at the end of my ropes when I had my sleep study finally in early 2004(after pleading with my PCP about my fatigued condition).

Other conditions that can develop due to the weight, and which can also be reversed with the lap-band:

Diabetes (I developed this in 2005)

High Blood Pressure (my luck has not run out on this yet)

Joint Problems (I have upper and lower back pain since 2006, and knee problems when going down stairs)

Reflux (since 2002)

I know I am forgetting some. I am sure my breathing will improve with weight loss. I saw my PCP this afternoon, and he really does not want my surgery delayed, he said "in six months, you won't need half of the meds you are taking!" :thumbup:

Edited by ibelieve
left something out

Thanks everyone for your kind words and making me feel more comfortable. I met with Dr. Robinson this afternoon and he did put me more at ease with being sedated and issues with sleep apnea. As of right now I am still scheduled for May 13. He hasn't put me on the pre op diet yet because something else came up today during my visit. I guess my sleep study also showed a cardiac issue, don't know much more than that. A second degree heart block which is giving me an irregular heart beat. It sounds alot more serious than it is I think. So now I may need to see a cardiologist AND he wants me set up with cpap all before surgery. So I am glad he is taking precautions as I would rather be safe and put off surgery than rush into anything. This is such an emotional roller coaster.

Ms Dollaz, maybe I will see there!

I'm dying to know how you arrived at your "goal weight". Dr. Robinson has never before given me one....I'm finally going to see him this month. I made an appointment because I can not only EAT a ton, but I AM eating a ton. I have felt for a few months, but appreciated having the ability to eat anything I wanted, but kept it in check. I'm no longer keeping it in check. thankfully, I've been running a lot, so I haven't gained weight. However, I'm only down about 7 pounds since January. I also finally accounted for an entire day's eating and figure out that I'm eating far less than I thought.....who knew?!

Jay, so glad to see you're back. I'm sorry you're having a tough month. How's the weightloss going? I thought of you today when I had a piece of sicilian pizza---or I should say, 4 bites of a slice. Yeah, it's doughy and I decided that I didn't really need it, so I stopped at 4 bites. I should have planned better and brought something healthy, but in the past, I would have had a few pieces instead of my 4 bites.

Hope you're all doing well. What is the date of May's meeting?? I'm hoping to go. Anyone find out when the Plastic Surgeon is coming in June???

I'm dying to know how you arrived at your "goal weight". Dr. Robinson has never before given me one....

Hi L2T, That is the weight where I was not "chubby" and with very "dangerous" curves :drool: (not even close to skin and bones.) That is in the middling of the target BMI (weight range) for my height (included in my sig on the last line.) However to be that weight, I skipped a lot of meals, and ran. The weight started to pile on over the years when I stopped denying myself, and stopped exercising all of the time...

The band can help with that I _believe_ after I get optimal restriction. But as you can see, the top of my range is 132 lbs. So in order to not be "overweight", I could be 130-140. I just know, at my height, I did not look right in clothes until I was 127 lbs or less. There really is no where for me to put excess weight, no hips or thighs, so it is all in my trunk... <sigh>

Mark You Calendars:

PLASTIC SURGEON VISIT to BWH WLS Group(s) TUES June 2 2009

Edited by ibelieve
Added date for Plastic Surgeon Visit to BWH WLS Groups

Dr. R. talked with me today, about seeing a pulmonologist and finding a window to have surgery where my asthma is not so reactive. I totally understood, this is what any good surgeon would recommend. He told me that all of the other M.D.'s that think I can proceed in this condition, do not see what happens when things do not go well...

I have also gained another 4 lbs from the asthma meds... time to adjust my stupid weight ticker :drool:

HI Everyone!

I have been lurking around since December as I went through the hoops that insurance requires before approving lapband surgery. Here I am, just back from my preop and anticipating my surgery on Tuesday, May 5. I feel like a just ran the marathon to get here (not that I COULD run a marathon if I wanted to - LOL) but now I am realizing that the marathon has just begun. I am filled with trepidation - what happens if even with this surgery, I can't lose weight? Am I doing the right thing? Can I be strong enough to manage the band when I wasn't strong enough to know when to stop eating without it? Ah, the saga begins...

Thank you one and all for your candid postings. The information you have provided has been so helpful.

Warm Regards to all,

HI Everyone!

I have been lurking around since December as I went through the hoops that insurance requires before approving lapband surgery. Here I am, just back from my preop and anticipating my surgery on Tuesday, May 5. I feel like a just ran the marathon to get here (not that I COULD run a marathon if I wanted to - LOL) but now I am realizing that the marathon has just begun. I am filled with trepidation - what happens if even with this surgery, I can't lose weight? Am I doing the right thing? Can I be strong enough to manage the band when I wasn't strong enough to know when to stop eating without it? Ah, the saga begins...

Thank you one and all for your candid postings. The information you have provided has been so helpful.

Warm Regards to all,

WELCOME, Viv!!

While there are definitely times when we've all questioned our own ability to succeed, I think your commitment to having this done will encourage you more than you can ever expect. This isn't the easy way out. The band won't do the work for you---however, it WILL provide you some control that you likely haven't been able to sustain for long periods of time in the past.

The first few months after surgery are undoubtedly the hardest. You will know the band has been implanted, but it doesn't seem to "do" anything initially. Be forewarned that it may take a few fills before you experience any restriction. With the help and support of those who have been banded, I have been able to finally lose weight AND keep it off. While family, friends, and even the staff of the program can be helpful, no one can truly know the frustration of living with this weight and the agony of feeling the sense of failure again....when it doesn't happen instantaneously. This website, along with the actual support group meetings have been the key to my success. Whenever I felt like giving up, there has always been someone to pick me up and drag me along---but someone who has been through the same experience.

Know that your "marathon" won't be easy, but I expect it will be worth the effort. We're here for you and wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted!! :thumbup: Paige

I am gearing up mentally to do the pre-op diet.

For those who have been banded:

Most undoubtedly weight came off during the pre-op stage and the after Banding liquid 14 day diet.

Did you find that that interval after Banding while waiting for the opportune time to get 'fills' that you put all of that weight back on once normal solids were allowed?

I am gearing up mentally to do the pre-op diet.

For those who have been banded:

Most undoubtedly weight came off during the pre-op stage and the after Banding Liquid 14 day diet.

Did you find that that interval after Banding while waiting for the opportune time to get 'fills' that you put all of that weight back on once normal solids were allowed?

I only lost about 15 pounds during the pre-op diet. My weight fluctuated after that---you gain after surgery from bloating. I didn't weigh myself for a week or two. (Nearly impossible, I know!) My weight stayed the same over the next two months, despite working out over an hour a day and keeping strictly to 800-1000 calories. So, while I didn't gain, I didn't lose, either....

Good luck! :thumbup:

Wow! That's hard do take..the amount of activity and little loss of weight..even with the absence of calories, l2t!

Were you always an active person>

I am sedentary, so I suspect my hopping on the treadmill(several years old and still sparkling new) will help me in that area somewhat.

But...look at the before photos. You look TOTALLY different. That should be a great boost to your moral when plateaus are reached.

At the next meeting right before my surgery I am toting my digital along to ask someone to snap a few 'Before" photos of me. I know they will come in handy in the future.

Are you doing any of the 'Walks" or "Runs" scheduled? I kow how much you are into those.

I was always active.....but for a while I had stopped. A year before surgery I got started again. I'll take your pics for you! :thumbup: I wish I took some before I had surgery.....

I'm running my first AND only 5 K next Saturday.....I hate running. This will be it for me. I'm hoping to have foot surgery this summer.

Wow that is hard to take. I guess we all just expect easy fix which I know is not the case with Lap band but still always hope right?

Singing when are you scheduled again? I have a bad memory, I'm sorry!

It looks like my date of May 13th is still a go. Saw my PCP looks like my EKG is Normal. Thank god! Don't know what the sleep study considered a 2nd degree block though. My doctor was kind of pissed and she is having a cardiologist read my EKG today. Huge relief as I thought I was going to need a pacemaker. I'm feeling better about the surgery and will call Dr. R. again on Monday and confirm it's a go once we have an answer from the Cardiologist. They also switched me to the Brigham instead of Faulkner. I said I really want a private room and she said she would request one. I guess I should ask If I will have to pay extra for this small luxury!

TGIF, hope everyone is enjoying it!

I requested the Faulkner, even if I had to wait longer. I am on for May 28th.

Thnx for offering to snap my photo, l2t, but I am going to the Faulkner this time for the Support and then plan on the Brigh in June with the plastics doc. Oh...please note the change in room for May at the Brigh!

Your race will be a milestone for you...good luck!