Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Miles or Dr. Schmitt patients

I have thought about the Bypass too. I had lost 65 lbs, then got a little too tight around christmas for some reason (all of the sudden, with no fill change). I started eating slider foods and didn't even notice at first. I started creeping up, and now have gained back 24 lbs! I went in for a slight unfill in January, then I had no restriction, and then they filled me again, but still haven't been able to find my sweet spot again. :-(

The band is certainly frustrating. I love it, and hate it at the same time. I find myself wishing I had gone with the GB, but my reasoning for not is still there. I hate the idea of having my digestive system re-routed and some parts cut out....scary stuff. I always worry about problems related to malnutrition too. I am young, and my husband and I want to have kids, and I worry about being pregnant after having GB and not getting enough nutrients. That was the main reason I went with the band.

I really hope I can get back on track with my band again, but if something goes wrong with it, I will probably consider the bypass, if my insurance covers it. I can't go back to having nothing again. I can't go back to where I was.

What have people heard about insurance covering revisions to bypass?

Well, I haven't been on here in a long time. Next week will be 2 years since my surgery, and I have gained back what little weight I lost plus some extra. I have been too embarassed to go back to the doctor, but I think I will see if I can get an appointment next week. I am so tired of fighting this weight battle, and even though everyone said surgery is no "magic bullet", I guess I was hoping it would be for me. Hopefully I can get the courage up to go into the office. I don't want to be scolded (even though I probably need to be)!

Amy

Oh Amy, please go back in. Let the band work for you and with you. You know it's not magic but it can work if you work hard at it too. I don't think you will be scolded if you come clean with everything and sincerely ask for help. Get a new lease on the situation. I also find that the monthly group helps me a lot.....it keeps me on track and helps me to have someone to account too. Don't give up...just start over. Success is measured by " How manys you get back up after falling down".

Well, I haven't been on here in a long time. Next week will be 2 years since my surgery, and I have gained back what little weight I lost plus some extra. I have been too embarassed to go back to the doctor, but I think I will see if I can get an appointment next week. I am so tired of fighting this weight battle, and even though everyone said surgery is no "magic bullet", I guess I was hoping it would be for me. Hopefully I can get the courage up to go into the office. I don't want to be scolded (even though I probably need to be)!

Amy

I simply cannot have the GB and at my age (69) it's not feasible for me because of lung condition and nutrition according to Dr Miles. I am like you...the idea of cutting things out and re-routed things isn't what I want for my body. Please come to group each month, talk with Veronica, get another appointment with the nutritionist, go see Lisa.....you can do it. Just hang in there.

Vernoica told me that most insurance is paying for it now and some of her band patients are having it done. The thing about it is that either surgery will be only as successful as the patient lets it be. I have three friends in Louisiana that had GB done. ONE has lost her weight and the other two lost huge amounts and then gained it all back with some more. I go to church with a GB lady here in Alabama. So far (2 years) she has been successful with it. GB isn't a magic answer either. Think it over carefully before you act. It isn't reversible! You need to write down the "pros & cons" of both surgeries and do a lot of research on both. Educate yourself BEFORE you talk with a surgeon. Remember, they like to do surgery.....

Good luck and let me know what you decide.

I have thought about the Bypass too. I had lost 65 lbs, then got a little too tight around christmas for some reason (all of the sudden, with no fill change). I started eating slider foods and didn't even notice at first. I started creeping up, and now have gained back 24 lbs! I went in for a slight unfill in January, then I had no restriction, and then they filled me again, but still haven't been able to find my sweet spot again. :-(

The band is certainly frustrating. I love it, and hate it at the same time. I find myself wishing I had gone with the GB, but my reasoning for not is still there. I hate the idea of having my digestive system re-routed and some parts cut out....scary stuff. I always worry about problems related to malnutrition too. I am young, and my husband and I want to have kids, and I worry about being pregnant after having GB and not getting enough nutrients. That was the main reason I went with the band.

I really hope I can get back on track with my band again, but if something goes wrong with it, I will probably consider the bypass, if my insurance covers it. I can't go back to having nothing again. I can't go back to where I was.

What have people heard about insurance covering revisions to bypass?

Finally got word that my panniculectomy will be on July 11th. I am thrilled!! It was originally scheduled for August 18th. But there were going to be issues with my department because someone is retiring at the end of August. Well, luckily I work for the hospital and my bosses pulled some strings and got it moved up so I could return to work before she retires!!! I am sooo excited and nervous at the same time!!!!

It's like the final step of this long process!!!! Yay!!!

Shawna

YIPPEEEEEE! I am so happy for you. You deserve it so much after all your hard work. I have put you on my prayer list for before and after surgery and pray that everything will go well for you. What doctor are you using and what hospital?

I am somewhat discouraged. I have been unable to lose a single pound at all this year. I am weighing what I did at the 1st of January. I have tried several different things with no results. My regular doctor says that with hypothyroidism, my weight will slow down quite a bit and to be patient. I have to see Lisa in August but she probably won't do another fill since I am at 9cc now. I won't give up but I do wish I could start losing again. I went back on the liquid diet for 10 days and didn't lose one single ounce! It is frustrating!!

Good luck and please keep me informed.

Finally got word that my panniculectomy will be on July 11th. I am thrilled!! It was originally scheduled for August 18th. But there were going to be issues with my department because someone is retiring at the end of August. Well, luckily I work for the hospital and my bosses pulled some strings and got it moved up so I could return to work before she retires!!! I am sooo excited and nervous at the same time!!!!

It's like the final step of this long process!!!! Yay!!!

Shawna

Shawna....How are things going since surgery girl??!!!

So I had my 10 year class reunion last night. It was interesting to see how much some of the ppl had changed. How they had gained weight, looked older etc. There were several ppl that I didnt even talk to much in high school that came up to me and were like. WOW you look fabulous WHAT have you been doing LOL :-) It felt GREAT!!!

Hey Everyone. I had my Panni on July 14 and everything went well. It was more painful than anything I had ever experienced, but luckily it would get more tolerable with each day. I am still a little swollen, but my tummy is flat and I am having so much fun wearing clothes.

How are you Kanina? I had my 20th reunion on 8/13 and it was sooo nice to hear people say "You have not changed at all!!" I missed my 10th because I was so embarrassed by what I had done to myself! I am glad you had a great time at yours! I am already looking forward to the next one!

Fordgal glad to hear you are doing well!!! I am great. Getting my arms done the second week in november I CANT WAIT!!! I wanna see some postop pix girl!!!! kaninacrosen@gmail.com :-)

I am presently recovering from my Panni and doing very well. I can't believe that I haven't had any pain at all! It's unbelievable. Guess I got a lot of answered prayers. I want to have my arms done but Dr Jack says I have to wait at least a year & give my body some time to recover from this one. Besides, insurance is changing for these type of surgeries and it might actually be paying for it by that time. I sure hope so. Good luck on having your arms done and keep us posted please.

Fordgal glad to hear you are doing well!!! I am great. Getting my arms done the second week in november I CANT WAIT!!! I wanna see some postop pix girl!!!! kaninacrosen@gmail.com :-)

Lollymoe~~~ let me know what you hear about the insurance changes. I can't picture them ever covering a brachioplasty but I am interested in having other things done as well so I will be interested to see what they pick up and start covering. Preop done surgery in 3 weeks!! WOOP WOOP!!!

Dr Jack said that some insurances will already pay for the arms but it takes loads of reasons to get them done and it's still hard right now. Since I have to wait at least a year to have mine done, I'm praying the insurance will have changed by then. If not, it will be self-pay.

I went to group this past weekend. There were only 5 (five) post-ops there! I guess people just aren't interested in coming anymore. Personally, I learn something new every time I go and it helps to forge on for another month. Starting January, group will be at 10:30a.m. for post-ops and the people waiting after the seminar to get their certificates. We won't have the private 30 min time anymore unless we want to stay later.

Good luck on your surgery and please let us know how it goes for you. I still can't realize how easy this "panni" has been for me. I have NEVER had a surgery that I didn't feel pain but not this one....

I just moved down to the Eastern Shore 3 months ago and I need to find a good doctor for my fills. Can anyone help me out? Who do you suggest? How do they fill? How do they charge?

You might try looking for Bariatric surgeons in your yellow pages or online in your area. Make some calls, ask some questions, and hopefully you will find someone. You might call the local hospitals to ask if they have a Bariatric Support group also. Good luck.

I just moved down to the Eastern Shore 3 months ago and I need to find a good doctor for my fills. Can anyone help me out? Who do you suggest? How do they fill? How do they charge?