Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandsters in/near Kaiserslautern Germany

hey there!

My husband and I will be moving to Ktown at the end of April. I was banded 3/7/08 and am looking for support group information or other people in the Ktown area who have been banded.

Please let me know if you have any info on support groups and/or if you are located near ktown.

Thanks!

hi, im in schweinfurt, which i believe is couple of from you...Im starting the banding process, did you get banded in europe, or stateside. And what was all the steps you had to go thru for tricare? thanks

Like I mentioned in my first posting, my DH and I will be moving to Ktown at the end of april.

I was banded on 3/7/08 (12 days ago) in Augusta, GA.

ArmyWife:

What I had to go thru wasn't too bad. I did TONS of research b4 I ever spoke to a doc about it. The doc then offered a small group and large group support meetings. Then the paperwork began. The office will assist u thru the paperwork. I have BCBS federal as an insurance company and because I just happen to be a pretty good record keeper (or getter in some instances) I was able to provide gym membership records, weightloss records, weight watchers records, etc. etc. to show my previous attempts. Additionally I had my primary care provider write me a letter of necessity.

As soon as all this paperwork was started I met w/ a nutritionist and a psychologist to be evaluated and educated.

Then I waited...............and waited. but I was very fortunate. I found out on Valentines day that my surgery had been approved (the process had started Jan 10 w/ the doctor - I had started researching November 13th).

Now i'm 12 days post op, and very proud of myself for taking such a measure to ensure my quality of life.

SweetHot:

You are doing AWESOME!! only 15 months and so close to goal!

Edited by Nikaweez

Hey my K-town bandsters!

How are things going for you??

I am desperately searching for a new Fill doctor. Can anyone help out? I'm currently seeing Dr. R. Weiner out of Frankfurt and am simply unhappy with his service.

I'd love to hear about your docs!!

God, I'm so glad I'm not the only one having problems w/Prof. Weiner! I went yesterday with some concerns and to get another fill b/c honestly I have really been struggling, and I felt like he was mad I was there. I asked him about the pain I'm having on my left side and he just blew off my question saying it was normal but not explaining why. I kind of feel like he doesn't like doing the band, he thinks it's unsuccessful and he feels like we're all going to fail and just be back for bypass at some point anyways. So, he doesn't give us any help or advice b/c it's like he doesn't think it's worth his time or something, blah!

My last fill with Dr. Weiner (Mon, July 28) was a horrible experience.

This was my 2nd time seeing the doc and I have to admit, the first time wasn't spectacular either, but not nearly as bad.

I first saw Dr. W and had the chit-chat part in his office/exam room.

I expressed that I had reached a plateau and that I was beginning to gain weight again. He started lecturing me about snacking and eating habits, which is always good to hear and reinforce. However some of his advice was opposite what my original surgeon and his support staff told me. So i was confused.

Then he put me up on the exam bed to ultrasound my gallbladder. At which time, he saw that my port is on the right side. He lectured me about my port being on the wrong side! I just wanted to shout "Uh, dude! I was UNCONSCIOUS when it happened. I had nothing to do with it and my surgeon does hundreds of bands each year!!"

We talked for a bit more after the quick ultrasound and then he asked me "so what do you want ME to do?" My jaw dropped...i paused...then I suggested that I get a fill. He said, "well, do you think you need it?".

*grumble, grumble, grumble*

Eventually he sent me off to radiology where he later came to do my fill. The first time I had visited, a different doc did the fill than Dr. W, this time it was Dr. W.

Let me say, it was horrifying! He couldn't find the port, he stabbed me several times and moved the needle around inside of me.

Long story short, i nearly fainted when i got off the bed and I have 2 dracula like holes w/ bruises in my abdomen.

I got my fill and i've since lost more weight. In fact, today is my 5month mark. I've lost a total of 37 lbs and a BUNCH of inches. I had a non-scale victory this morning when i pulled a pair of trousers out of my "skinny clothes bag" and they fit better than anything else I've got in my closet now.:w00t:

In the mean time, I search for a new fill doctor.

ohhh wow, i have only met dr.weiner for my surgery, he seemed very kind and concerned. Now im worried though. I went for my one month check up and saw a different surgeon. they would not give me a fill because i had lost 21 lbs. Said to come back for my 3 mth check up. I hope i continue to lose weight and don't need a fill if you all are having problems with him. geesh this really bums me out. keep me posted and also let me know if you find a good fill doc you like.

armywife4life - don't be bummed!!

Form your own opinion of your doctor. Perhaps he dislikes bringing on fill patients (the people he didn't operate on). Perhaps he was having a bad day.

Don't you worry. You've made the best decision in your life! And stay with it. Just remember to inform and educate your self. Become your on subject matter expert and ask LOTS of questions (of the doc, of the proceedure, of life post banding.) Be your own advocate and surround yourself with people who will help you - including Dr. Weiner if he continues to satisfys your needs.

Congrats on the weight loss and for having the courage to take responsibility of your life!!

I agree that you should form your own opinion, he just reminds me of a really old fashioned doctor, the kind that doesn't feel he needs to inform his patients on anything, yet can feel free to blame them for anything going wrong. I have a background in medicine and am one of those people who has to understand what's going on, so for me getting the blow off when I had a concern about pain was a big deal. I would not take that from a doctor in the states.

I also had a similar experience with my fill, it wasn't Prof Weiner, but his surgical assistant who did it, he stabbed me at least 20 times before he found the port, I'm actually still sore from it 3 days later! He initially only put 2.5 cc extra in, but I was feeling zero restriction so asked him to put in another 4.5 so that I have 7 total now.

Btw, if you call tricare, I think there's someone in Landstuhl who does the band too, I was given a choice when I got approved, but chose Prof. Weiner b/c I'd heard such good things.

Hi there!

I put a thread on here months ago, waiting for other American banders in Germany. I was so happy I went through the other threads again and found you guys today. It's a shame you didn't see my thread... we could have gotten together sooner!

I am in the Stuttgart area. I was banded here July 30, 2007. It was and still is a great experience at the Bad Canstatt hospital where it was done. All the docs are super! Prof. Hesse is the best! After I was banded, found out that this hospital has the best reputation for Lap Bands in all of Germany. I can understand why!

They have Tri-care patients too. (My hubby is civi contractor.)

I don't know if you'd want to travel to Stuttgart, but they are good. My last fill was done before the antiseptic spray is dry!

Is Prof. Weiner a German doc at at German hospital? Do you guys have a support group on base?

Do you ever come in the LBT chat room? I'm there a lot and would love to chat with you!

Katja

Katja,

Yay, i'm so glad you found us!!

Yes, Prof. Dr. W is a german doc in a german hospital (Frankfurt).

Thankfully, i got a new doc's name last week. So, now, I just need to call them up and schedule a follow up visit. I'm sort of holding out right now, as i'm not in need of another doc visit yet. But at the same time, i'd like to call and find out what the wait time is.

When i get back to work (where i've left this doc's name) I'm definatly posting again to see if anybody knows him/her. All i can remember right now is that he/she is in Mannheim.

Sadly, Stuttgart is too far for me to drive...unless I try the Mannheim connection and find it equally as distastful.

Ok, now you're thinking, geez, this Nikki is a Bi*ch...but no, i just have needs, and I"m not going to pay 600$ for my needs to be ignored!

nik, who did you call to find a new fill doc? Im still going to dr. weiner on the 22nd of sept for my fill but its about 2 hr drive and i would love to find one a lil closer to schweinfurt. The drive time kills me.

Katja hi, wish i was closer would love to get with you, and ill try the chat room see if i catch ya in their. take care